cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2022 7:39 pm  #1

The Anon account

I think the Anon account is a valuable tool for current Dwellars to use when they really want to share something personal but don't want our reactions/advice be tainted by our previous knowledge about them or our future perception of them be tainted by what they shared in a vulnerable moment when they just needed to talk to a friend.  I think it's valuable when people want to use it to reply and share perhaps personal details that may help another dwellar/  And when what they want to share is so personal and identifiable that a google might lead anyone from the real world to the post.

I do not think it should be used by people who have no desire or desperate need to remain anonymous and no need to post anonymously except that they can't be arsed to register for the rebirthed forum, have been banned or are making a statement of some sort about being forced to register etc.  No matter how good their intentions are, I think they are endangering the true value of the account.

This is not a petition, I just want to get a feel for how far off the general sentiment I am/if others agree.  Any votes or comments by Anon, of course, are not helpful or welcomed, but I'm sure they will show up anyway.  If anyone does

How much do you agree with me on this topic?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/16/2022 9:01 am  #2

Re: The Anon account

I have never used it.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

9/16/2022 9:30 am  #3

fargon wrote:

I have never used it.

Nor have I but, like the emergency bar of chocolate in the fridge, it's nice to know it is there should the need arise.

9/16/2022 10:16 am  #4

Carruthers wrote:

fargon wrote:

I have never used it.

Nor have I but, like the emergency bar of chocolate in the fridge, it's nice to know it is there should the need arise.

True.

9/16/2022 6:20 pm  #5

Undertoad wrote:

very important to have rules in this community of 12 people

all 11 of us have to learn to work together for the benefit of all 10 of us

do you have a point you're struggling to make?

Be Just And Fear Not

9/16/2022 8:28 pm  #6

I'm not looking for rules, I just wanted to get a feeling  for how offbase -or not- my feelings are.  Turns out not so much.  I feel community here, size is not important.  Some of you may have heard that phrase before in a different context.  

A skill/technique I have learned as an adult -and particularly as a parent where it is often necessary to go with the flow for the sake of peace within your children's communities- is if a particular phenomenon about a community is bugging you, check out if it bugs others too.  The chances are there's nothing you can do to change it (e.g. introduce rules etc), but knowing where you stand in the general tide of feeling can help you figure out how to deal with it personally, and voicing that feeling can help others in the community understand your perception on things.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/17/2022 7:31 am  #7

Carruthers wrote:

fargon wrote:

I have never used it.

Me either but I do like chocolate.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/17/2022 7:36 am  #8

griff wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

fargon wrote:

I have never used it.

Me either but I do like chocolate.

Chocolate Good!!!

9/17/2022 8:32 am  #9

Undertoad wrote:

very important to have rules in this community of 12 people

all 11 of us have to learn to work together for the benefit of all 10 of us

It's good to have rules in any community, no?

Living life on the edge.

9/17/2022 8:49 am  #10

TBH I've assumed that Teh Cellar no longer has this useful facility and that the "Anon" account is a personal account
We could set up a(nother) truly anon account and leave Anon to occupy the other one?

Living life on the edge.

9/17/2022 3:40 pm  #11

What is this saved chocolate you speak of?

That's crazytalk.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (9/17/2022 3:40 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/17/2022 10:36 pm  #12

Undertoad wrote:

Limey wrote:

It's good to have rules in any community, no?

i believe i've successfully demonstrated to everybody here that you really only need three.

UT, the three rules you had were great -and I often quote them IRL  But they didn't save it from destruction so....

Communities do need an understanding of what is and what isn't acceptable, and I think that mostly happens through a mutual sense of what drew the community together in the first place.

But -of course- if you want to attract new members to your community, it is essential to verbalize those values.  And in that case, yup, your three rules are awesome.

I am kind of interested to know why you appear to be trying to break the new cellar though.  I understand your enjoyment at finally being able to use the voice you felt was suppressed by being the 'owner", but you also seem incredibly keen for this reincarnation to fail.  And I really don't mean that maliciously, I am curious  -I know you have taken plenty of time to provide advice and guidance to Clod, limey and glatt, and have allowed the use of the old banner etc -and we would not be a community at all without you... but Ihis behavior seems at odds with your expressed beliefs and desire to no longer "run" the cellar.

9/17/2022 10:36 pm  #13

TheNeverWas wrote:

That's crazytalk.

he's British.

9/18/2022 12:27 am  #14

monster wrote:

TheNeverWas wrote:

That's crazytalk.

he's British.

I say! Steady on old thing! 

9/18/2022 8:23 am  #15

Undertoad wrote:

My point is that sexobon's limited participation is more valuable than an anon account when there are 12 active users (11, when he is surgically removed) and a new account with no personal information can be created by anyone in seconds. Furthermore the anon account hasn't been used for its Very Important Purpose in a year. Y'all against it either because you prefer order (i.e., rules), or don't like sexobon's participation (fair enough) or demand a more  honest participation (fair enough) -- but prefer a passive aggressive way of saying so.

Monster you can't even mention his name, like it's some secret; and I believe you doubled down on passive aggressivity to claim the thread is not about this at all, but is about some personal need to determine the concensus on this thing... without fully describing it.

Come on now. I know passive aggressive, I'm the master of it.

Well, sexobon is the one not mentioning his name by using the Anon account, though I know he sometimes signs his post (maybe always, I don't read all posts on here).
I'm not looking to exclude him, but I did like the original idea and purpose of the Anon account, for which we have you to thank UT.
I, for one, haven't used the Anon account in this incarnation of teh Cellar because when I did want to I wasn't sure it was still available for that purpose as it is being occupied by Sexobon, and I wouldn't want to appear to be speaking as him or on his behalf.
(edited to remove a wrong assumption).

Last edited by Limey (9/18/2022 8:25 am)

Living life on the edge.

9/18/2022 4:37 pm  #16

Undertoad wrote:

but we know he will be here until his actual death anyway.

Dying Me won't root for someone else's death.  Even TW's.

But, damn, I hope I live long enough to hear/learn of it.  I'll throw a celebratory drunk the likes of which this liver has never seen.

But if TW's continued presence helps stave off UT's shitting on anybody that's not singing the praises of electric vehicles as long and loud as hisownself, I'll put up with TW a little longer.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (9/18/2022 4:38 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/18/2022 10:41 pm  #17

sniggered silently.  but come on chaps,  All I wanted was to keep the anon account available for the purposes for which I felt it was intended and valuable.  And I will endeavor to act upon the suggestions PMd to me and we will all be happy and fluffy. but mostly I really appreciate learning that I was not way out there with my perception of its' purpose and value.

Board footera