cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2022 12:20 am  #1

I am so in trouble..... (life-wise, not with the law......)

The irritated eczema I get on my lips and eyelids in spring and autumn never really cleared up over the summer this year, and is now super itchy and raw and it's painful to eat, cry and sweat.  The last one is a super big deal because (a) Michigan is exceptionally humid this fall and (b) menopause has decided to to hit and go big or go home regarding night sweats.  I don't sleep much anyway, so those don't help.

Anyhoo, my doctor is all booked up into forever, but I needed help with this. From someone who doesn't want to start from the beginning and rule out all the bajillion things that have already been ruled out.  The cream I have that works for me is not something you put near eyes or lips  Plus there could be infection or fungal thing sneaked in....

I finally managed to snag an appointment with another doc I trust. problem is I haven't actually seen her as a doc before.  She was beest's doctor ....which became kind of awkward when we all ended up as  high school swim/water polo parents on the same team ...at the time he got his cancer diagnosis.  yes fun times.  Then she got her cancer diagnosis (survivable), so we actually became friends.   But this wasn't anything intimate medically, so I was good with seeing her.

A lot of fucking waffle, I hear those of you still reading ask, what is the fucking problem?  She prescribed a short sharp shock of steroids.  has worked in the past, I was amenable.  had a tiny nagging voice there was a side-effect for me that wasn't great, but couldn't remember it.  She said there would likely be an extremely elevated pulse

Immediately after the appointment, I had to be a participant in a training course at work that involved taking BP and pulse, so I decided to delay starting the steroids until this evening.  Took them a few ours ago,  and shortly thereafter remembered side effect........  insomnia.  My regular doc knows sleep is not my friend. All/most of my friends know this.  This doc is also a facebook friend.  I guess she did a good job at separating the two but...
now I'm WIDE AWAKE.. and can't whinge about it of facebook. 

I know first world problems..... :D

work is gonna be beyond hellacious tomorrow.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/13/2022 1:18 am  #2

Re: I am so in trouble..... (life-wise, not with the law......)

You can ask your doctor about this as an OTC adjunct to your steroid treatment:

https://nationaleczema.org/blog/melatonin-eczema/

It's important to go through your doctor even though it's OTC because the therapeutic dose for anti-inflammatory action is different (significantly higher) than it is for this supplement's routine use. You'll also want to ensure there are no adverse drug interactions with what your doctor has already prescribed.

To further inform yourself, read up on the topic Cytokine Storm and the repurposing of this supplement in managing inflammation associated with other disease processes (e.g., COViD-19).

It's worth considering. - Mr. S.E. Xobon

9/13/2022 1:43 pm  #3

Oh yeah, when I'm on steroids even when I take them in the morning I can't sleep that night. Hope the eczema clears up soon so the steroids can go away.

9/14/2022 7:59 pm  #4

1 -- I AM NOT  A DOCTOR

2 --  I don't share your range of symptoms.

3 -- Fuck BaceFook.

4 -- aha!  I am your friend.  
  I feel for you, and I'm sorry you're suffering, but I'm tickled it hasn't broken your funny bone.  

Be Just And Fear Not

9/15/2022 5:51 pm  #5

Anon wrote:

lol

have you tried to get a doc appointment recently?

Or read for understanding in the very recent past?  The whole issue was caused by not being able to talk to my doc.  Yes I know there're OTC options, but I wanted to check there were no other issues because I'm not that kind of Doc.

sigh

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/15/2022 5:59 pm  #6

Well shit, my first post vanished :/

oh well, it went something like this:

It's a miracle!!!!!!   (and I'm bloody glad all y'all had replied to this thread  because it reminded me to take today's dose which I am trying to shift a tiny bit earlier each day)   

....anyhoo after three days of the highest dose, it has pretty much all healed up, no itch, no sting, and the damaged skin is coming off without leaving raw underneath.  first day of reduced dose today and I did actually get to sleep before my alarm was due to go off last night :D

thanks for being my surrogate facebook when I need to whine about things I can't whine about there.... :D

9/15/2022 6:06 pm  #7

monster wrote:

Anon wrote:

lol

have you tried to get a doc appointment recently?

Or read for understanding in the very recent past?  The whole issue was caused by not being able to talk to my doc.

My doc can handle questions like that by email. Sorry to hear yours doesn't. 

9/16/2022 6:08 am  #8

monster wrote:

Well shit, my first post vanished :/

oh well, it went something like this:

It's a miracle!!!!!!   (and I'm bloody glad all y'all had replied to this thread  because it reminded me to take today's dose which I am trying to shift a tiny bit earlier each day)   

....anyhoo after three days of the highest dose, it has pretty much all healed up, no itch, no sting, and the damaged skin is coming off without leaving raw underneath.  first day of reduced dose today and I did actually get to sleep before my alarm was due to go off last night :D

thanks for being my surrogate facebook when I need to whine about things I can't whine about there.... :D

Huzzah!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/16/2022 11:23 am  #9

Email?
I have had at least ten doctors of various kinds since I got email.
None of them did or do.

9/16/2022 5:40 pm  #10

I have secure online messaging with my doc and get notifications to my personal email when there's a reply.
Are you saying some people don't have that?

https://www.va.gov/health-care/secure-messaging/ 

9/17/2022 11:22 am  #11

VA?
I wish that the VA actually provided usable medical care in my area. 

Board footera