cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2022 12:21 pm  #301

Re: RIP, Famous person

Happy Mondays had wickedly infectious bass lines

eta: and to be fair, this is one of those, "I'm surprised he lived this long" type deals

Last edited by Flint (7/27/2022 1:56 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

7/28/2022 9:32 am  #302

Bernard Cribbins.

Got to the age of ninety-three, so not a bad innings.

Last edited by Carruthers (7/28/2022 9:33 am)

7/28/2022 6:35 pm  #303

Carruthers wrote:

Bernard Cribbins.

I found him creepy

he was probably crepey too, at that age

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/31/2022 5:30 pm  #304

Basketball legend Bill Russell, dead at 88.  I couldn't find his fish.  He helped take the Celtics to 11 championships in 13 yrs.
That's a pretty good run, especially for someone so tall, he was 6'10".

Last edited by TheNeverWas (7/31/2022 5:30 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/31/2022 5:40 pm  #305

Also, Nichelle Nichols, aka Star Trek's 'Lt. Uhura',  dead at 89.

Her fish was heart failure.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (7/31/2022 5:40 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/31/2022 8:39 pm  #306

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/02/2022 9:35 am  #307

Thanks, monster.

I haven't heard that in a while and it always brings a smile to my weary and careworn visage!

8/02/2022 12:05 pm  #308

monster wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

Bernard Cribbins.

I found him creepy

he was probably crepey too, at that age

Creepy? Cribbins? Crumbs!

I always liked him.

8/02/2022 6:58 pm  #309

For some reason he just really made my flesh crawl

8/03/2022 11:25 am  #310

Vin Scully, 94.
He broadcast Dodger baseball for 67 years.

8/07/2022 8:17 pm  #311

Aw shit, man...TC died.

He was 83.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (8/07/2022 8:19 pm)

8/07/2022 8:20 pm  #312

Also, actor Clu Gulager, dead at 93

8/08/2022 3:58 pm  #313

Olivia Newton-John, dead at 73.  Her fish was breast cancer.

8/30/2022 8:59 pm  #314

I honestly thought he was long gone already
Mikhail Gorbachev

8/31/2022 5:33 am  #315

Same.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/31/2022 5:57 am  #316

I wonder to what extent his ideas still live?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/31/2022 7:25 pm  #317

Gorbachev was one of those people who could see reality beyond the emotions that most use for knowledge.  He was clearly politically incorrect.  And entirely accurate in his analysis of reality.

Some facts that most fail to learn.  The Russian economy in those maybe seven years after he took power was not of his doing.  Since economics today is created by what happened four and ten years ago.  He simply got blamed for a serious economic downturn created by his predecessors.  It was inevitable in an economy where innovators are at the mercy of top management - the central committee of the party.

It did not help that Russians really had little grasp of free market economics.  And (unfortunately) too many parts of the Russian economy listened to business school graduates who foolishly kept preaching that only profit matter.

Things could have been better had American invested in Russia so much as Americans invested in Germany and Japan after WWII.

Yeltsin saved Gorbachev's life.  Russia still had too many Donald Trump type thinkers whose first purpose in life was to maximize personal gain.  Many who live in the ethersphere for too long (even the best of people) lose touch which others who could be the future of their nation.  So lose touch as to not understand what the little people (the power of a nation) really need.

Gorbachev tried.  It could have brought Russia into the EU as a productive nation for the world.

However also appreciate the other side.  The west is not so innocent.  Having no adversary to keep Americans honest, suddenly too many extremist  Americans with too much ego saw the world in terms of their emotion.   America saw a wrong (created in part by American mistakes).  Then lead an international rescue of Kuwait.  Extremists (who claims America could not rescue Kuwait) suddenly discovered a new found righteousness.  20 years later would attack (Pearl Harbor) a nation for no good reason.

And so inspired a new cold war.

Extremists (having discovered power they did not know existed) arbitrarily used "only we are always right" reasoning to justify attacks on any other nation.

Had we truly worked with Gorbachev and Yeltsin, then Putin (communism dressed in a different uniform) might not have existed.  But then what we did (ie to Saddam) only justified to Russians what Putin was planning for the next 20 years.

Gorbachev could have been a world class solution.  We cannot entirely blame ourselves for a failure to support him.  But we could have been a lot better.  Clinton tried.  George Jr's wacko extremist, in essence, undermines anything Gorbachev could have accomplished.

Among those accomplishments due to Gorbachev is the ISSS.  Russia has just announced they will withdraw from that next year. Without the attitude control systems in the Russian module, the ISSS may become a world's most visible meteor in recorded history.   Created because of what  Gorbachev did.  Destroyed because his vision did not survive.

What was Gorbachev's thinking in the last years of his life?  Curiously, much of what we know comes from Khrushchev's granddaughter.

9/08/2022 12:47 pm  #318

The Queen is dead.  Long live the King.

King Charles.  I never thought I would see it.

9/09/2022 6:51 am  #319

Named for a dog that should never have been revived, bad omen.

9/09/2022 11:30 am  #320

I wonder if Charles will step aside for his humorless, Victorian son.

9/18/2022 8:59 pm  #321

That guy who was in that thing:

Henry Silva was 95.

9/30/2022 4:17 pm  #322

William Rivers Pitt, 50, was the a founder and lead journalist for Truthout web magazine.
His was a true and gentle voice.  He leaves a nine-year-old daughter

9/30/2022 5:52 pm  #323

Artis Leon Ivey Jr.

AKA

Coolio

9/30/2022 7:06 pm  #324

I heard the dude's mission was to wring every dollar he could out of his b-grade celebrity status, to make sure his family would be set. Age 59, cardiac arrest. He does have a pretty packed IMDB.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

9/30/2022 10:26 pm  #325

To be fair... it was cardiac arrest in the bathroom of a friend's house. Far be it from me to speculate, but I'm gonna speculate there were drugs involved.

Board footera