cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2022 11:33 pm  #1

Off to College

So ship them off to college, they're still costing you a fortune but on the up side you might be able to have an afternoon delight uninterrupted.
But did the choose the right major? For that matter did they choose the right school..
Some have regrets on both those points...

The degrees issued have shifted by subject...

Now when the do finally graduate will they make enough to support you in your golden years?

Seems to me after 4 years studying  criminology you ought to be able to steal more than 3 million bucks.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/25/2022 1:45 am  #2

Re: Off to College

I heard college enrollment in the US has dropped for the 11th year in a row.
I wonder if the leaping costs, or people discovering they won't be ostracized by their peers if their kid doesn't go.
Maybe they have discovered the return on investment isn't what it was cracked up to be. Spending a fortune and/or going deep in debt then an office job at $40k is not a good investment.
As long as I can remember getting into an apprentice program for the building trades was the bulls ass at flytime.
Common to accept 6 a year from 600 applicants. But the result is now you can't find a plumber, electrician, etc, under 45. I recently read we need something like 75,000 new electricians over the next 12 years. It's not unusual for them to make over $100k.

11/25/2022 9:35 am  #3

Why are test scores going down?  So much learning on-line.  We know comprehension drops by about 10% when obtained on-line.  Only do not know why.

My text books in 1970 cost something approaching $100 each.  Calculator was $300.  Numbers says price of college materials has gone down.

Unfortunately the left and right promoted easy college loans.  That meant tuition skyrocketed.  Then a student is left paying a massive debt for the next 10 or 20 years.  Trying to fix anything only by throwing money at it is a classic lie promoted by both left and right extremists.

A problem is finding new construction workers.  Since so many twenty somethings do not know how to use a hammer or screwdriver.  Those older tradesmen also have trouble finding kids who want to do the work.  Once they learn they may get dirty on the job, many refuse to take that job.  Sitting at a desk watchnig a glownig screen is considered more productive.  Getting dirty is for low class immigrants.

And then hate means we do not issue enough visas - a severe shortage of immigrants.

Last edited by tw (11/25/2022 9:41 am)

12/02/2022 11:15 pm  #4

Undertoad wrote:

My text books in 1970 cost something approaching $100 each

lol no they did not

Why not?  Mine in 1988 were approaching the equivalent of $200

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/02/2022 11:17 pm  #5

(not all of them, but there were a couple that were more than my rent)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/10/2022 1:29 am  #6

College, we don't need no stinkin' college...

That guy at the top of the list has been a lifeguard for 30 years.

12/10/2022 8:28 am  #7

I imagine it's more like "coast guard" than "life guard." The guy who comes down on a rope from a helicopter to pull you out of the ocean is going to get a lot more money than the 17-year-old yelling at kids to stop running at the pool.

12/10/2022 2:55 pm  #8

There actually is a big lifeguard shortage.Largely covid-related.

12/10/2022 10:01 pm  #9

The Coast Guard Rules. 

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/10/2022 11:03 pm  #10

The Coast Guard protects our beach bunnies and their natural habitat from all enemies foreign and domestic.

I think it's in their oath.

Mr. S.E. Xobon.

12/11/2022 8:52 am  #11

Hasselhoff can only handle one coast, it's money well spent.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/25/2022 10:07 pm  #12

♫ Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be paupers...

12/26/2022 12:13 pm  #13

I do doubt the politics bullet point... I suspect it's more that people who are already billionaires can afford to get into politics.

12/26/2022 9:56 pm  #14

Maybe not Billionaires but wealthy, like millionaires, then with inside information make their money grow like Topsy.

1/13/2024 12:50 am  #15

Buy your kid one of these a be rest assured they'll get some kind of sports scholarship.

1/19/2024 5:08 pm  #16

Clodfobble wrote:

I imagine it's more like "coast guard" than "life guard." The guy who comes down on a rope from a helicopter to pull you out of the ocean is going to get a lot more money than the 17-year-old yelling at kids to stop running at the pool.

Sure, a lot tougher at the Ocean than the pool.
Just a few days ago a couple 64 and 68 from the UK got caught in a Barbados rip current.
They were rescued by two Canadian girls aged 14 and 13.
The girls had an edge in that the 14 year old's father is the coach of the swim team they're on.
The team was in Barbados preparing for the Canadian pre-Olympic trials.
=13px

1/20/2024 1:29 pm  #17

"...the bulls ass at flytime."
Thanks, Bruce, a new one for me.
But DO NOT do an online search for it!

Board footera