cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2021 10:29 pm  #1

What's more current than the weather?

Subject to editing

but at the moment, the weather here is warm and projected to become HOT.

Don't believe me?  This qualifies as hot around here:

Be Just And Fear Not

6/24/2021 10:34 pm  #2

Re: What's more current than the weather?

On the one hand, I look at that and say, "Pssh." But on the other hand, most places in your area don't have standard A/C installed, do they? Because that would definitely make a difference.

6/25/2021 8:16 pm  #3

Clodfobble wrote:

On the one hand, I look at that and say, "Pssh." But on the other hand, most places in your area don't have standard A/C installed, do they? Because that would definitely make a difference.

Yeah.  That would be us.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/11/2022 7:19 am  #4

Morning walk seemed brisk...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/11/2022 8:17 pm  #5

Crispy!

Be Just And Fear Not

1/12/2022 5:04 am  #6

Minus 1?

That's brisk, baby!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/17/2022 12:40 pm  #7

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/14/2022 7:06 am  #8

The past few days have been insufferable with afternoon temperatures being around the 36C/97F mark.
We haven't had any rain to speak of in many weeks and the countryside is tinder dry.
Yesterday afternoon fire broke out in wheat stubble and spread rapidly to fields the other side of the road.
The Fire Brigade (Gawd bless 'em!) did a first class job in extinguishing the blaze and the farmer ploughed a fire break where there was a danger of the fire spreading to nearby houses and woodland.
There's some hope that thunderstorms will arrive tomorrow and Tuesday but when we're told that they usually split up and do their stuff either east or west of here.
I do hope we get a deluge as I am finding the heat tiresome and dad is suffering as well.

Anyway, here's what it looked like yesterday...

The field in the foreground still has standing wheat and was not affected.

And this morning how things looked from the other side of the hill...

Fairly early and facing east so it's not the best pic in the world.

Must go. I'm off to do a rain dance.
That'll be worth selling tickets for.

8/14/2022 7:54 am  #9

I don't know you guys are coping down south - it's been pretty intolerable up here in Yorkshire, but I think you guys have a few degrees on us. 

The nights are the worst - its too hot to sleep and an open window is pointless if there's no air movement

Last edited by DanaC (8/14/2022 7:54 am)

8/14/2022 9:45 am  #10

DanaC wrote:

I don't know you guys are coping down south - it's been pretty intolerable up here in Yorkshire, but I think you guys have a few degrees on us. 

The nights are the worst - its too hot to sleep and an open window is pointless if there's no air movement

We're right in the middle of the Amber warning of extreme heat unfortunately and the temperature is nudging 90F/32C at the minute.

If there is a slight breeze at night it just stirs the 'atmospheric soup' and brings no benefit.

I was talking to a farming mate over on the east coast near Bridlington yesterday evening and he said that it had been 25 or 26C which he found acceptable.
The sea fret which frequently forms takes a couple of hours to burn off and ensures a pleasant start to the day so they can get at least some of their work done in reasonable comfort.

Anyway, the rain dance didn't work so I am now resorting to prayer.

Wish me luck.

8/15/2022 2:45 pm  #11

Come to Death Valley, CA, it's flooded.
Speed week at Bonneville Salt flats was cancelled this year because it was too wet.
Yet most of the west/southwest is in the worst drought in 1400 years.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/15/2022 5:30 pm  #12

The Susquehanna is looking really low right now.

8/16/2022 9:02 am  #13

View the jet stream these past years.  I don't remember seeing it going completely north and south so often.

9/17/2022 11:40 pm  #14

Warm weather...

9/18/2022 11:57 am  #15

My nearest town, Ukiah, CA, had 117 last week, second only to Death Valley for the US that day. Purple dot north of SF.

10/19/2022 8:35 pm  #16

Drought? I don't see no drought. I guess god is punishing those sinners in the south and west. 

11/01/2022 10:03 am  #17

An extremely rare event - especially this late in the seasons.  A tropical storm is forming in the North Atlantic where water temperatures are typically too cold for such events.  From the National Hurricane Center (www.nhc.noaa.gov):

1. Central Subtropical Atlantic:
Shower and thunderstorm activity continues to show signs of organization in association with an area of low pressure located several hundred miles east-northeast of Bermuda. This low has been acquiring tropical characteristics during the last 24 hours, and environmental conditions appear conducive for additional development. The system is likely to become a tropical or subtropical storm later today while it moves generally east-northeastward.  By late Wednesday night or early Thursday, the system is expected to become fully extratropical and merge with a larger non-tropical low over the north-central Atlantic.  For more information on this system, including Storm Warnings, see High Seas Forecasts issued by the National Weather Service.

These type storms often head for the British Isles.

11/02/2022 8:26 am  #18

Martin is predicted to become a hurricane while approaching east of Greenland.  At somewhere around 60 degrees N, it is predicted to backtrack south.  Then make a left turn.  Head for the British Isles early next week.

Quite unusual to have a hurricane headed for Greenland.

11/04/2022 12:32 am  #19

The drought has caused the Mississippi river to drop... a lot.

This has put a hurtin' on shipping up and down the river. Very little cargo is moving and shipping costs are skyrocketing for the two of the biggies, grain going down and petroleum going up.

11/04/2022 7:36 am  #20

An archeologist's dream and a climatologist's nightmare.

11/04/2022 9:12 am  #21

It doesn't exist.  Extremists (such as the senator from Oklahoma) said so.  So it must be true.  That picture must be lying.  (And the election was stolen.  And Saddam really had WMDs.  Extremists said so.  It must be true.)

Last edited by tw (11/04/2022 9:13 am)

12/10/2022 1:56 am  #22

Climate change, intense storms, and rising sea level is beating up VA barrier islands and people have to move..
Hmm, I wonder why they call them barrier islands.

12/23/2022 11:28 am  #23

Maaaan, this is Kentucky.  We are not built for this.

Brr?

Nay nay...

Brr!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/23/2022 4:24 pm  #24

Youch Kentucky.

Currently 7 F in Pennsyltucky down from 42 F at wake up.

12/23/2022 4:32 pm  #25

Issued: 3:26 PM Dec. 23, 2022 – National Weather Service...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Dangerously cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low
as 30 below zero. Winds will be 20 to 30 mph with gusts of 40 to
50 mph.

* WHERE...In New York, Schuyler, Chemung, Tompkins, Madison,
Cortland, Chenango, Otsego, Tioga, Broome, Delaware and
Sullivan counties. In Pennsylvania, Susquehanna, Northern
Wayne, Wyoming, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike and Southern Wayne
counties.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...The cold wind chills could cause frostbite on exposed
skin in as little as 30 minutes. Tree limbs could be blown down
and scattered power outages may result.

* PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Avoid outside activities if possible. When outside, make sure you
wear appropriate clothing, a hat, and gloves.

Board footera