cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2022 12:55 pm  #1

Netflix to charge for password sharing.. kinda

So, figured this was coming. They can detect exactly who is doing it, BUT, they're gonna let you keep doing it. Charging only, "a fee for each extra member that's equivalent to roughly one-quarter the price of a Standard plan. .. in the US would cost between $3.50 and $4." Fascinating, I guess they don't want to drive fans away by actually charging for the thing they sell? lol .. unexpected win

Source: The Days of Free Netflix Password Sharing Are Coming to an End

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/25/2022 10:55 pm  #2

Re: Netflix to charge for password sharing.. kinda

I guess they can tell if the request is coming from the computer you signed up with, but if you use it to watch something at the friends house you have to pay extra? Is that how it'll work?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/26/2022 12:20 pm  #3

I'm guessing they have algorithms to tell whether two devices are owned by different people based on simultaneous use, and perhaps location data.

10/26/2022 1:27 pm  #4

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I guess they can tell if the request is coming from the computer you signed up with, but if you use it to watch something at the friends house you have to pay extra? Is that how it'll work?

I'm assuming it's more like, you're logged into Netflix X hours a day at a certain IP/location, then you're also logged into Netflix X hours a day, during the same timestamp, in a different house, different device.

For myself, I have two computers and my phone that I stream stuff on, but it's using the same login as a different house, across town, with about three other devices at that location. To me, that would be "one account, shared with one other person" but it's six devices, so I'd think they'd have to do it by geographical location.

Last edited by Flint (10/26/2022 1:28 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/26/2022 8:04 pm  #5

Just wondering how long they're ok with Archpologirl "going to college" for?  PhD here take forever, right....?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera