cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2022 9:06 am  #1

Stalek Canoe

This may be a job for footfootfoot footie.

I'm looking to do a restoration of a wooden canoe, probably built in the 70s or 80s. I don't know if it originally had a canvas hull or was built with just a clear fiberglass shell. My FiL had it hanging in the house after he cracked the hull and decided not to further damage it.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/06/2022 9:24 am  #2

Re: Stalek Canoe

Hull has been messed with...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/06/2022 9:52 am  #3

YouTube would appear to be the thang. As I surf, I'm finding these boats with a clear fiberglas finish. This is the way.

11/06/2022 11:54 am  #4

Looks in better shape than the ones they want $1200 for.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (11/06/2022 11:54 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/07/2022 6:39 am  #5

Yeah, I'll have a better Idea when I get it in the shop.

11/07/2022 12:27 pm  #6

Seems like a long way between seats.

11/07/2022 5:21 pm  #7

Seems like the cedar strip canoes and kayaks I've seen have much narrower strips.  This canoe seems to be built with planks more than strips.  And the layout pattern for the planks is really cool.  Very different from a typical cedar strip canoe.

It looks like there is some sort of pattern in the finish of the hull that looks almost like fiberglass weave, but it could also be the left over impression of canvas.

My understanding of the old canvas canoes was that they were HEAVY, so it's cool that this one is fairly light.  I guess if it was covered in canvas, and that canvas was impregnated with paint, it could have weighed much more.

11/07/2022 5:38 pm  #8

Sand it down to bare wood and give it a natural finish, do not put cloth of any kind on that hull. Cloth harbors moisture, and that causes dry rot.
I highly recommend Man O War Spar varnish.
Plastics (epoxy, or polyurethane) should not be put on old wood, because no matter how hard you try, you will never get all of the moisture out of the wood. And moisture causes rot.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

11/07/2022 5:49 pm  #9

These people have a lot of knowledge.
https://www.woodencanoe.org/

I Love my country, I fear the government.

11/07/2022 10:49 pm  #10

monster has a slight disappoint.

Visual field cut left over from stupid stroke 10 years ago means monster doesn't see first part of words/lines when reading quickly.

was expecting to see Dalek Canoe....

;)

(welcome to my life)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/08/2022 5:47 am  #11

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm sure we'll get it sorted. Except the Dalek situation.

11/08/2022 6:48 am  #12

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Seems like a long way between seats.

You may be on to something here. I'm going to look for evidence of oar locks. Could be a guide boat variation.

11/08/2022 7:30 pm  #13

The seats seem to be in canoe orientation. The ribs of a guideboat are pretty thick and a guideboat should be 40+ inches wide. Still it would be nice to learn enough to finish it properly. I'll get it into the shop for inspection in the next couple weeks.

11/12/2022 1:26 am  #14

Yeah Honey, bring that into the shop with you when you come please. I'm carrying the camera. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera