cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2022 4:46 pm  #1

Twitter "under new mgmt" (Elon Musk)

Anybody following this? From what I've heard,
1) massive lay-offs, now trying to re-hire some of the laid-off workers
2) Musk tweets that parody accounts must "clearly specify" they are parody, or be perma-banned. No policy details as to what constitutes "clearly specify" ... Subsequently, accounts with "THIS IS A PARODY ACCOUNT" in their bio have been perma-banned
3) Twitter has done away with "verified" accounts, now anyone can buy the same blue checkmark for $8.00 ... eta: now added "Official" account feature ... eta: now "Official" account feature pulled from production

People are paying $8.00 to create "verified looking" accounts for notable people like Elon Musk, Rudy Giuliani, George W. Bush, and likely most consequentially, the Nintendo Corporation-- which has posted Mario giving the finger. Presumably these accounts "clearly specify" being a parody, however they have the blue checkmark which has always indicated a verified account

eta: purely anecdotal-- businesses are pulling their advertising buys from Twitter.. (is this true or rumor?)

Last edited by Flint (11/10/2022 4:48 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/10/2022 6:01 pm  #2

Re: Twitter "under new mgmt" (Elon Musk)

I used to think he was smart, but maybe he has toxoplasmosis or something.

11/10/2022 8:41 pm  #3

A verified Twitter account posing as the pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly tweeted Thursday afternoon saying, "We are excited to announce that insulin is free now." The account, with the handle @EliLillyandCo, used the Eli Lilly logo and had a verified checkmark.The tweet generated more than 1,500 retweets and stayed up for several hours before the account was locked by Twitter.

Later in the evening, the account was unlocked. The Eli Lilly logo was removed. The checkmark remained on the desktop version of the site, but not on the app.The real Eli Lilly Twitter account, @LillyPad, tweeted, "We apologize to those who have been served a misleading message from a fake Lilly account. Our official Twitter account is @LillyPad."

11/11/2022 8:45 am  #4

Looks like they suspended the fake Tesla account after the WTC mic drop.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/11/2022 8:55 am  #5

Another funny thing is that Elon supporters have said, "Ha ha, stupid trolls are paying Elon $8 every time they make a new fake-corporate account to troll him," except as others have pointed out, credit cards will let you reverse the charges if he suspends the account within a month, because you didn't receive the product you paid for, i.e. one month's service.

Another fake corpoate account was from "Lockheed Martin" announcing they were suspending all sales to Saudi Arabia, Israel, and the United States until they'd conducted a full investigation of those countries' human rights abuses.

11/11/2022 2:05 pm  #6

Twitter Blue has been suspended. People who already paid the $8 have lost their blue checkmarks

11/11/2022 2:42 pm  #7

11/12/2022 8:24 am  #8

4.5% drop. Pete and I have a running joke about what causes stocks to go up and down, people amaze me.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/12/2022 12:07 pm  #9

With nearly every up or down, "experts" explain what caused it.
I don't think they have any idea.  Rich folks had good sex or bad gas are probably as good as any.
I have about the same very negative opinion of both the stock market and Twitter.  And use neither.

11/12/2022 9:44 pm  #10

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I have about the same very negative opinion of both the stock market and Twitter.  And use neither.

Stock market is so easy.  Simply see what the naive do.  Then use their predictable (and only emotional) behavior to make money.

12/09/2022 1:07 pm  #11

Interesting perspective.  I appreciate your thoughtful post.

I think it's fascinating that after a quarter of millennium, this country is still discussing the nuances of freedom of speech.

12/10/2022 10:14 am  #12

glatt wrote:

... this country is still discussing the nuances of freedom of speech.

Unfortunately freedom only exists AFTER responsibility exists.  Social media has made responsible speech unnecessary.  We are now learning how destructive freedom can be without responsibility.

In the past year, I have now discovered  people in psychological therapy due to hate and hype promoted by extremist rhetoric in social media.  They foolishly and automatically believed extremist rhetoric.  Indications of violence, intolerance, and confrontation have increased due to increased freedom without responsibility.

One would expect us to learn from harmful targeting decades ago in schools that even created self harm including depression and suicides.  Do we blame the victim? (Many do.)  Not blame cyberbullies who need freedom of speech to promote intentionally destructive lies and behavior?

Why did Saddam have WMDs?  Free speech without responsibility easily corrupted a majority.  Making America the pariah.

Freedom can only exist when responsibility also exists.  Since so many adults are not officer material.  Do not know how to separate hate, hearsay, and lies from honesty.

Why must responsibility always be included with free speech?   The [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment]Migram experiment in Yale[/url]  demonstrates people who are the problem.  Who make free speech without responsibility so problematic.

Last edited by tw (12/10/2022 10:18 am)

12/10/2022 4:17 pm  #13

2006 : Dorsey has a garbage idea.
2019 : After years of low grade garbage, Twitter begins amplifying ideas which actually kill.
2020: Failed attempt to stuff misinformation genie back in the garbage can.
2022: Garbage site bought by Musk, turns out to be garbage.

12/12/2022 2:09 pm  #14

How is any of that harmful to the Musk Man Bad narrative?

12/12/2022 6:45 pm  #15

Undertoad wrote:

- In 2020 the biggest security breach of any social media site in history happened at Twitter, and it was infiltrated by teenagers, who simply phoned Twitter employees, pretended to be Twitter IT support, and asked for their passwords. This gave them access to all the accounts in the world and they used the accounts of Obama, Biden, Gates, and Musk, among others, to make posts asking people to send them cryptocurrency.

This was a crazy story. The mastermind behind this Twitter social engineering fiasco started off as a Minecraft hacker who made his bones selling stolen Minecraft usernames

12/13/2022 6:32 pm  #16

There isn't a constant level of competence shared between Musk and Twitter, where showing problems at Twitter demonstrates competence in Musk.  Rounded to the nearest percent, 0% of the people he fired were in charge of deciding who had access to the code base, or making agreements with foreign governments.  And most of the decisions he has made have been very poorly handled, if not very poor ideas overall.

12/13/2022 9:27 pm  #17

But the important thing is that everyone knows that, right?  Otherwise you wouldn't have responded at all.

12/14/2022 11:12 am  #18

Undertoad wrote:

suit yourself, i'm not really interested in your opinion

A first indication of an extremist mentality.  "I don't want to know anything that might contradict my emotions."

Not an insult.  A fact.

An honest reply would have cited a fallacy in his statements.  Called a constructive discussion.

Last edited by tw (12/14/2022 11:14 am)

12/14/2022 3:16 pm  #19

12/14/2022 3:17 pm  #20

do me next

12/14/2022 11:02 pm  #21

Undertoad wrote:

you haven't posted an honest reply since that day i asked if you were fucking little kids and you said yes

But again the extremist replies to facts with insults.   Extremists cannot contribute anything constructive.  Only adults who are adults can contribute.  A bully on the playground cannot.

Feel free to continue with insults.  Or act like an adult.   Replying especially to Happy Monkey in an adult manner.  You can't?  Asking you to act as an adult is but only an insult; that you earned.  Extremism, complete with anger and profanity, is alive and well.

Let's not forget who constantly insisted Saddam had WMDs even long about President George Jr even said he did not.  Extremists have trouble with reality - and contributing something useful.

Last edited by tw (12/14/2022 11:04 pm)

12/15/2022 10:42 am  #22

Undertoad wrote:

the last meaningful contribution you made was adding your cum to some poor neighborhood kid's ass

A classic Fox News disciple.  Who loves Trump because he also promotes hate using insults.

That was not the UT from over 30 years ago when the Cellar was a BBS.  How Fox News, et al so easily manipulate a now weak mind.

UT, when you stop posting like a child, then these well deserved insults will stop. You started this again and every time ...  because some adults are still children.  Please grow up.

Last edited by tw (12/15/2022 10:43 am)

12/16/2022 10:26 am  #23

Classic example of an adult who is still a child.  A vindictive child.

12/16/2022 12:51 pm  #24

Not to interrupt this game that you apparently do like to play, but back to the topic for a bit.

Musk, after bragging that he was so into free speech that he wouldn't ban the @elonjet account, banned the @elonjet account, and the account of the kid who ran it, and the accounts of a bunch of journalists who reported on that fact.

Last edited by Happy Monkey (12/16/2022 12:52 pm)

12/16/2022 1:27 pm  #25

Then he made a poll asking how long to keep them off Twitter, and when it said he should reinstate them immediately, he said it had too many options and made a new poll.

Last edited by Happy Monkey (12/16/2022 1:28 pm)

Board footera