cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2022 11:16 pm  #1

Lord/Lady of the Manor

Looking... no make that glancing, at Zillow lists I saw these Estates? Manors? Compounds?
All I could think of is what a hassle dealing with the army of staff necessary.
OK you're rich and you hire someone to take care of that but it's still your shit and your potential loss.
No thank you...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/26/2022 12:25 pm  #2

Re: Lord/Lady of the Manor

There's an 8600 square foot 6 bedroom house on less than an acre near me for about $12 million.  $30,000/year HOA fee.

10/27/2022 12:56 pm  #3

Undertoad wrote:

homes with 8 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms that must go empty most of the year, but will still be heated and cooled the whole time

For the kind of super-rich people who want to own a house like that, those extra bedrooms are usually filled with a rotating cast of useless offspring and relatives who have major substance-abuse problems and general affluenza.

10/27/2022 9:15 pm  #4

The Rochester Hills area is (gajillionth) home to a few music biz peeps etc, so rooms often used by entourage.  Also, more money than sense.....prob need a room to store that $$$ for starters

Last edited by monster (10/27/2022 9:17 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/10/2022 12:16 am  #5

Saw a listing on the net for a house two doors down the road. The price was $992,000. It had the estimated monthly payment for mortgage and taxes, when it last sold and for how much.
Then in the fine print it says the house is "off the market".  What?
I looked around a little and there was several houses on this road listed with all that information, by different real estate brokers, but not for sale, 

12/10/2022 8:23 am  #6

Contract negotiations fall through all the time, and the realtor sure as hell doesn't want to delete the whole listing only to type the whole thing up again a month later. You could argue that there should be a toggle that just makes it invisible in the MLS listings when it's contract-pending, then brings it back if needed, but 1.) lots of people will still put in an offer even knowing a house is under contract, because they, too, know how often contracts fail, 2.) it doesn't bother the realtor to waste your time looking at a house you can't have, and 3.) if you do notice that all the houses you want are off the market, you start to worry that houses in this area are going fast, you won't get the one you want, you'd better jump quick on the first one you see that is still available, all of which saves the realtors time and increases their commissions because you'll be too afraid to lowball during your own negotiating process.

12/25/2022 8:14 pm  #7

I don't buy that, retype the ad. Are you telling me that's not a file on their computer they can summon at will?
I get post cards, flyers letters , letters disguised as greeting cards, some even hand addressed, and hand written notes in the mailbox wanting to buy may property at least 3 times a week.
It's funny, my house was built as a place to retire when the guy owned the whole damn road, so he picked a number for the address and that's what the deed says. But when I was working in OR and my wife got hurt, the ambulance couldn't find the place. Soon I got a letter from The Fire Marshal saying the address was a different number by the town standards and I had to change my address. OK, I did that and for 20 years had both numbers on the box.
So for all these offers they are using the old address still on the deed. They don't even know what they're begging to buy or in fact it doesn't exist.

Board footera