cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2020 1:59 pm  #26

Re: RIP, Famous person

Geoffrey Palmer, TV and film actor, dies at 93

I particularly liked him in the role of Jimmy, Reggie Perrin's domestically inept army officer brother-in-law.
He also appeared as Major Truscott, a very similar character, in Fairly Secret Army, a pretty much forgotten series on Channel 4.

I passed him in the car park at Amersham Station* on one occasion and nodded a polite good afternoon and got barely a grunt in reply. He seemed to be a bit of a miserable sod.
He was doing the voice over for Audi's 'Vorsprung durch technik' TV ads at the time so I wondered what sort of car he would get into. It was a Saab.

Link

* Mornington Crescent!

Last edited by Carruthers (11/06/2020 2:00 pm)

11/06/2020 2:14 pm  #27

Geoffrey Palmer - a stalwart of British TV and movies died peacefully at home at the age of 93

This one got me - real lump in the throat. The bittersweet sitcom Butterflies, which he starred in in the late 70s //early 80s, was a show we all watched as a family when I was a kid - we used to take the mick out of my Dad saying he was like the Dad in that show. 

11/06/2020 2:16 pm  #28

So, was in middle of posting the above when Mum called - didn't press submit til after the call - in the meanwhile Carruthers has already posted

11/06/2020 6:05 pm  #29

you Brits are knocking off celebs left right and center right now ....trying to compete with our scintillating election coverage?  

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/06/2020 6:20 pm  #30

I remember him from "As Time Goes By" too.  I found this clip of a read-through -watch between 30 & 45 seconds if nothing else.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/06/2020 6:22 pm  #31

(can anyone direct me to the nearest handbasket?)

11/07/2020 9:53 am  #32

monster wrote:

you Brits are knocking off celebs left right and center right now ...

Yes, I've had to lay in extra stocks of black crepe, just to keep up with it all.

11/07/2020 5:17 pm  #33

America is down one rapist priest so we got that going for us.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/07/2020 7:32 pm  #34

Yay?

Last edited by Gravdigr (11/07/2020 7:33 pm)

11/07/2020 8:10 pm  #35

griff wrote:

America is down one rapist priest so we got that going for us.

Which is up from zero rapist priests before we knew the Catholic church was protecting pedophilia.

11/08/2020 12:41 am  #36

Former UK chief rabbi Jonathan Sacks

Last edited by monster (11/08/2020 12:42 am)

11/08/2020 1:06 pm  #37

Alex Trebek, Jeopardy Host, pancreatic cancer ages 80.

I didn't watch it, but I see people who did are very saddened by this news.   He worked right until Covid stopped play, and I learned that he once ran with the Olympic Torch for a stretch.

11/08/2020 1:12 pm  #38

This bums me right out. We watch it religiously.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/08/2020 6:52 pm  #39

And now I'm sad.

11/09/2020 12:39 am  #40

I see Colonial Life Insurance has been running Trebek's commercials the last couple days after a break for months.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/09/2020 11:54 am  #41

I have almost never missed Jeopardy for many. many years.
I met Trebek  twice while failing to get past round one of a tryout.
I figured out that he must have read 500,000 answers over the years.
He hurt his leg not too long ago chasing a woman who left his hotel room with his wallet.  What is whoops?

11/10/2020 9:07 am  #42

He'd have gotten away with it too... if it hadn't been for that meddlin' Lewy Body Dementia

Ken Spears, co creator of Scooby Doo at 82, preceded by his partner in crime cartoons, Joe Ruby in August this year

COD both: old, basically.

11/15/2020 10:00 am  #43

Des O'Connor, 88  fell.

11/15/2020 10:15 am  #44

Carruthers wrote:

monster wrote:

you Brits are knocking off celebs left right and center right now ...

Yes, I've had to lay in extra stocks of black crepe, just to keep up with it all.

do you get discount for bulk?  And did you ressurrect Des to bump him off again?  I would honestly have assumed he was long gone

11/15/2020 2:43 pm  #45

monster wrote:

Des O'Connor, 88  fell.

Wasn’t he on our (ahem, Mr Limey’s) celebrity death pool list?

Living life on the edge.

11/15/2020 8:03 pm  #46

Limey wrote:

monster wrote:

Des O'Connor, 88  fell.

Well that was what I was doing over there, because I thought so but didn't see him.  Must've had a senior moment.......

11/15/2020 8:04 pm  #47

Limey wrote:

monster wrote:

Des O'Connor, 88  fell.

It seems not...

Mr Limey’s offering (with descriptives in case you’re not sure who he’s referencing). I don’t know any famous people ....
Terry Jones (Monty Python)
Nigel Farage (Cunt)
Bernard Haitink (Conductor)
Barry Cryer (Comedian)
Ringo Starr (Drummer)
Dame Mary Peters (Olympic gold medalist, 1972)
Dame Judi Dench (Actor)
Lester Piggott (Former jockey)
Sir Derek Jacobi (Actor)
Tanni Grey-Thompson (Paralympian)

11/25/2020 12:11 pm  #48

Maradona, 60, heart attack

11/25/2020 12:16 pm  #49

Crikey.

Living life on the edge.

11/25/2020 5:56 pm  #50

He never handed that ball. ;)  Suck it England!

Board footera