cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2023 3:43 pm  #1

Rural Genius : Tom Wessels

I'm halfway through Tom Wessels' Reading the Forest Landscape : A Natural History of New England. He's done his work across Lake Champlain from my new place and being an old, interested, and smart guy he can tie a lot of things together so that when you walk the woods you have an idea what went on. He has a YouTube series that parallels the book.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/20/2023 5:29 pm  #2

Re: Rural Genius : Tom Wessels

I love that guy.  Wicked smart.

1/29/2023 4:02 am  #3

When I was a yout', my grandfather and uncles were still hauling firewood out of the woods to sell in the city with horses. Over the years the traces were still there but you had to look in the right places for the right things.
Parts 2 and 3 are equally cool.
Tromping around the woods with him it's easy to understand the mass exodus from the northeast when the flat fertile land of the midwest opened up.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (1/29/2023 5:24 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/29/2023 4:18 am  #4

Definitely. You just have to know what to look for.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

Board footera