cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2022 5:09 pm  #26

Re: What's more current than the weather?

I lost power this morning for an hour an a half because of the wind.  thankfully it came back on.  It's cold out there.

12/25/2022 9:21 pm  #27

That's an understatement glatt.
Friday I left to get a haircut about noon, it was 46° and snowing lightly at the tail end of 2 days of heavy rain.
Haircut and a quick stop for a couple things at the grocery store,
Got home about 3:45 is was 23° headed for 8° that night.   
Got heating oil on Dec 7th which was 52¢ a gallon cheaper than Oct 1st... yes cheaper.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/04/2023 6:53 am  #28

Finally getting crisp around here. Took a buddy skiing at Greek Peak yesterday, Pete and I are going again this morning before continuing the clean out project.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/04/2023 9:27 am  #29

You folks on the east coast are getting the weather we had last week. Clear and Cold BRRR!!!

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/04/2023 2:19 pm  #30

What used to happen normally every winter.  Is now so rare as to be major news story.

And sill no ice on lakes or streams.  Ice was routine every winter in the good old day.

One reason for building the Brooklyn Bridge.  So that people could get off Manhattan island during winter.  Because the Hudson and East Rivers would freeze over every winter.

But global warming does not exist.  A right wing extremit Senator from Oklamhoma said so.   So it must be true.

Last edited by tw (2/04/2023 2:20 pm)

2/05/2023 11:18 am  #31

Schools were shut down Tuesday-Thursday for an ice storm, then again on Friday for major tree damage blocking the parking lot. Today, Sunday, it is 60 degrees outside.

2/05/2023 11:58 am  #32

So you got to spend some quality time with the family, did you take the kids out dumpster diving?

Chaos in Austin amid power outages as residents seen dumpster diving at H-E-B- store

2/06/2023 6:51 am  #33

griff wrote:

Finally getting crisp around here. Took a buddy skiing at Greek Peak yesterday, Pete and I are going again this morning before continuing the clean out project.

A bunch of folks got rope rescued off a lift while Pete and I were there, but we missed out. Sunday we got two xc ski loops in but that cover is doomed this week. The move North is looking smarter.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/06/2023 6:55 am  #34

Anon wrote:

So you got to spend some quality time with the family, did you take the kids out dumpster diving?

Chaos in Austin amid power outages as residents seen dumpster diving at H-E-B- store

One of my old clients runs a food rescue organization locally, that photo would make her absolutely crazy.

4/02/2023 9:05 am  #35

Damn. Weather in the South and Mid-West is not fun right now.

6/16/2023 11:08 pm  #36

I'm damn sick of rain every other day, and not just annoying showers, inches of rain , flash flood warnings and stuff.

6/24/2023 10:00 pm  #37

Hot water in the North Atlantic should make for some interesting storms...

6/25/2023 2:49 pm  #38

If oceans get hotter, then carbon fiber submarines will be less dangerous.  Then we can all go visit the Titanic.

6/27/2023 5:21 pm  #39

Please send Clod your icebergs!

7/03/2023 5:08 am  #40

Don't worry, Clod will kick it's ass and bake cookies with in. 

8/07/2023 3:39 pm  #41

Yikes!

8/07/2023 7:23 pm  #42

But again, overhyped by the local gossip that targets adults who are still children.

They could put a ticker tape at the bottom of a TV screen for a very few who need that information.

It was just another thunderstorm as we always got at least once every year.  Apparently the blond bimbos back then did not hype extreme fears.  Just reported the weather so that we knew to close the windows and take in the wash.

8/07/2023 7:25 pm  #43

Global warming?  Phfff.  I go to the refrigerator and still see the same number of ice cubes.  Nothing has changed.

What me worry (now that I am retired and my magazine is no longer published)?

8/08/2023 8:53 am  #44

tw wrote:

But again, overhyped by the local gossip that targets adults who are still children.

They could put a ticker tape at the bottom of a TV screen for a very few who need that information.

It was just another thunderstorm as we always got at least once every year.  Apparently the blond bimbos back then did not hype extreme fears.  Just reported the weather so that we knew to close the windows and take in the wash.

I see your time stamp.  Easy to say after the storm has passed that it was only hype. 

Your post makes it sound as though you were tuned in to the storm broadcast, which means you were also an interested viewer and wanted that information. You must be an emotional child..

8/09/2023 6:06 am  #45

We were under a Tornado Warning that night. A small one hit Lanesboro in our county.

8/09/2023 10:01 am  #46

glatt wrote:

Your post makes it sound as though you were tuned in to the storm broadcast,  

I tuned in to get useful news from the networks.  Instead, all broadcasting was blocked by useless fears promoted by weather girls. Weather was nothing more than the usual severe thunderstorms that occur every summer.  Everything useful could be reported by a ticker tape at the bottom of the screen.  Or was already reported in the useless 5 o'clock gossip. No.  They hype a tornado warning for a full half hour in this one tiny area of maybe ten thousand people.  Totally irrelevant to the other ten million people who need something relevant and news.

They now (also) block news to show us the latest golf ball falling into an 18th hole.  Are people really that introverted?  Need that much hype?  To even worry most about where a golf ball goes?

8/09/2023 10:15 am  #47

Sure. You were the only person on the East Coast who didn't tune in to see if the severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings were going to impact you.  You wanted to hear the latest news from the Ukraine, not if you should go down to the basement. [/sarcasm]

There was a forecast from the national weather service that the storms would be severe.  The local news fired up the doppler radar to track the storms and monitor them as they rolled in.  You tuned in to see what was happening and to be ready to take better shelter.  The storms were not as powerful as they could have been.  You complain that it was all hype AFTER THE FACT when everyone knew the storms weren't as bad as predicted.  You were a sheep tuning in, just like the rest of us, because it's normal to be concerned when there is a strong storm predicted.  And yet, you feel the need to be superior to everyone else and call the entire eastern seaboard emotional children, when YOU DID THE SAME THING.

8/09/2023 2:02 pm  #48

There was a forecast from the national weather service that the storms would be severe.

Just like there were forecasts most every year previously.  And they only put a ticker tape at the bottom of the screen for seriously severe ones.  Today, they interrupt all programming like Kennedy was shot or Apollo 13 exploded?

There are plenty of weather channels if one needs that information.  Plenty of web sites that constantly provide real time Doppler radar.  Even sites that show where the last lightning strike was a few seconds ago.  So that you will know when the resulting thunder will arrive.

I tuned in for the news.  The only thing that matters.  To only learn again that those blond bimbos are more important than reality.  That we must have our penises excited rather than learn something useful.

Had those emotional fear hypers been interested in reality, then they would report what the BBC must repeatedly note.  Those Americans foolishly put their eletric lines up on telephone poles.  Now many customers of Delmarva Electric, PPL, Atlantic City electric are waiting the repair crews to restore one wire service 5 or less homes.  Since hundreds are now down.  Blond bimbos will not even discuss that reality.  Only hype pictures of downed trees that nobody cares about (except repair crews).

Last edited by tw (8/09/2023 2:06 pm)

8/10/2023 6:23 am  #49

5 confirmed tornadoes from that storm.

8/10/2023 8:39 am  #50

griff wrote:

5 confirmed tornadoes from that storm.

Many were not even in the viewing area.  Tornadoes also happened in this region (viewing area) in February, April, and July.  Many hardly got more than a next day report.  Since actual damage was almost always only electrical outages and fallen trees.  A tornado from that last storm outside the viewing area (in Allentown area) damaged a few homes.  But all were instact.  Just like some severe storms with downdrafts that crashed jumbo jets.

No reason to hype the end of the world.  These were isolated events only in small neighborhoods such as Glen Mills and Westminster.  Car crashes kill more people.  Those should be news since they were totally preventable.

What should have been reported?  The so many homes not destroyed because they were constructed properly.  But that would not hype fear and attract viewers.  It would only educate people.

Last edited by tw (8/10/2023 8:41 am)

Board footera