cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2022 1:36 pm  #1

Fake-looking, legit emails. WHY.??

I receive an email on my company's Outlook that appears to be from the domain of the security software we use.
It has A LINK to a "training" we're supposed to do, security awareness training.

This is some great meta-phishing.
Of course I call the IT department and ask, "is this a real email?" and they say, yes. CLINK THE LINK IN THE EMAIL.

It is a training course ABOUT PHISHING.
You're supposed to implicitly trust an EMAIL from someone YOU DON'T KNOW, that says cLiCk tHiS LiNk

WHAT IS THE LESSON THEY'RE TEACHING.??!!

Last edited by Flint (12/15/2022 1:37 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/16/2023 7:48 am  #2

Re: Fake-looking, legit emails. WHY.??

I get emails every day from UPS with the logo and the little registered circleR
I get emails every day from Fedex with the logo and the little registered circleR
I get emails every day from Lowes with the logo and the little registered circleR
I get emails every day from Home Depot with the logo and the little registered circleR
And more , but the address they come from and the address of the link the want you to click goes to have nothing to do with those companies.
How the fuck do they get away with using their name and logo?
I don't believe the sources can't be found. Probably the punishments aren't worth the investment getting convictions.
And if Lowes make a big stink about their stuff being used people will avoid the companies legitimate communications.
We need more death penalties, eliminate the perps, eliminate the problem.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/16/2023 8:59 am  #3

What they scammers are doing is already illegal, so I imagine they're not worried about adding copyright infringement to the list.

2/16/2023 6:24 pm  #4

I complained to the Attorney General (a very right wing one) of this state about constant phone calls from scammers.  He wrote me back saying the law is too hard to enforce so we will not enforce it.

Their ID is obvious.  If a foreign phone company is complicit (does nothing), then it does not have access to any Americans phone systems.  They will quickly fix that problem.  Since so many calls, even to other countries, are routed through the US.

Apparently campaign contributions are obtained by not trying to enforce these laws.

2/16/2023 7:58 pm  #5

"Apparently campaign contributions are obtained by not trying to enforce these laws."
No Shit!

I Love my country, I fear the government.

Board footera