cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2023 4:05 pm  #1

What Dwellars look like RFN - 2023 Edition

Me this morning (the white thing is the parkrun logo, not my new hairdo)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/01/2023 8:35 pm  #2

Re: What Dwellars look like RFN - 2023 Edition

YAY Monster!!!

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/01/2023 9:50 pm  #3

Huzzah!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/02/2023 8:41 am  #4

Nice!

1/03/2023 8:01 am  #5

Volunteering to organize, officiate, or run?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/04/2023 12:47 am  #6

Some of everything.  I set up the course every week.  I also write the run report about 50% of the time, maybe more.  Sometimes I also process results, brief first-timers/tourists.  I am trying very hard not to volunteer to take over the event director role when the current one leaves later this year.  But it's hard. 

Everyone runs or walks voluntarily. Maybe with the exception of a few kids.  But they mostly don't seem unhappy about it.  To date, no-one has tried to make a cat participate at Lillie, but it has happened elsewhere and they appeared willing.

I run every week.   I have completed 108 actual runs, in three locations in two countries -and I have also fulfilled volunteer roles in two countries.  I only take on volunteer roles which still allow me to run (bless the cotton socks of those taking on non-running roles), But I often do 2-3 each week to make sure the show goes on. I sign up for set-up and then mop up the rest on Thursday or Friday. 

Because It's a brilliant concept and I'm finding it super hard to believe no-one else here parkruns.

Last edited by monster (1/04/2023 12:59 am)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/04/2023 12:57 am  #7

(set-up involves arriving 45 minutes early, often before dawn, fetching the equipment cart from the hiding place where the Parks Peeps allow us to store it (sometimes digging it out of the ice and snow), wheeling it across the parking lot to the start, then sorting the signs and cones needed for the loop around the pond, walking said loop (approx .75 of a mile) placing arrow signs and cones to direct parkrunners and block off paths that are not part of the course, removing any fallen branches etc and noting any other hazards that need to be shared with 50-80 participants during the run briefing.)

Oh sorry, did I bore you?

Last edited by monster (1/04/2023 12:58 am)

1/04/2023 1:01 am  #8

Now back to your scheduled pictures of other dwellars RFN!

1/04/2023 1:08 am  #9

oh wait one more thing.... here are the USA & Canada parkrun locations

Last edited by monster (1/04/2023 1:26 am)

1/05/2023 9:19 pm  #10

That is very awesome what you're doing.

1/05/2023 10:22 pm  #11

Hi Lola Bunny we miss you.

1/05/2023 10:27 pm  #12

Lola Bunny wrote:

That is very awesome what you're doing.

Well thank you.  I am a huge believer in volunteerism, especially when the outcome benefits the whole community.  Parkrun has been big in the rest of the world for a while now.  Kind of like metric measurements.  Time for America to get up to speed and then pretend they invented it. ;)

1/15/2023 1:22 am  #13

monster wrote:

Oh sorry, did I bore you?

Not at all, I was curious about how all this happens as you've mentioned bits and pieces various times.

Running is for serious circumstances like the liquor store is closing in five minutes, or somebody is shooting at me.
The young bull says lets run down there and woo some heifers.
The old bull says lets walk down there and woo them all. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/15/2023 8:18 am  #14

fargon wrote:

Hi Lola Bunny we miss you.

Hello!! I miss everyone too although I don't show it by not posting much.

1/18/2023 6:54 am  #15

Very nice to see you LB.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/18/2023 7:00 am  #16

I took this while cleaning my MiLs house for the celebration of life. Hat was found amid the clutter. Due in part to the hat, I look shockingly like my maternal Grandfather in this picture, a man who died days before I was born.

Last edited by griff (1/18/2023 7:02 am)

1/20/2023 5:35 am  #17

Yay! Nice hat!! Who are the other reprobates?

Living life on the edge.

2/23/2023 6:25 pm  #18

2/23/2023 6:28 pm  #19

not terribly flattering but it was a bit fucking windy.
What do you mean, my companion seems familiar...????

2/23/2023 7:48 pm  #20

Looks...islandy.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/23/2023 7:59 pm  #21

I see that you went a visit'in, on a small island on the west coast of Scotland.
Hi Limey.

2/24/2023 7:57 am  #22

Awesome guys!

(I swear I replied before, it's wife , daughter, and daughter's significant other.)

2/24/2023 10:18 pm  #23

Neat!

2/25/2023 8:34 am  #24

yay! Dwellar meetup!

2/26/2023 6:46 am  #25

I can thoroughly recommend Monster as a house guest. Entertaining, well-behaved, house-trained. Me and Mr Limey were sorry to see her leave, and we don't say that about all our guests!

Living life on the edge.

Board footera