cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2023 3:07 am  #251

Re: Bikes!

I don't know what's going on here, is she stupid, mean, crazy, vengeful? DamifIno.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/04/2023 10:04 am  #252

How long would you have to be without electric or gas before you started cooking on whatever you had available?

3/04/2023 1:36 pm  #253

Perhaps a satirical staged photo in solidarity with women anywhere who have lost the freedom to bicycle and are relegated to just cooking and cleaning.

Women who found freedom riding bikes in Afghanistan are burning their cycling gear
Once a symbol of progress, association with the bicycle is now dangerous in Afghanistan
August 19, 2021

3/17/2023 12:22 am  #254

Clodfobble wrote:

How long would you have to be without electric or gas before you started cooking on whatever you had available?

Fuel isn't the problem, it's using the bike wheel for a grill, that's ridiculous.

4/09/2023 7:01 am  #255

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/ethan-boyes-cyclist-killed-san-francisco/3200633/

Ethan Boyes, a reigning Masters Track world champion, died in the collision reported around 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Drunk driver apparently.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/26/2023 1:21 am  #256

Schwinn

7/03/2023 4:03 am  #257

I have a feeling this guy should be under the observation if not care of a shrink.
He still wants to unicycle around the world and that's nuts.

7/05/2023 6:51 am  #258

The Tour de France is up and running. We decided to commit to it a little this year. We're doing a Tour fantasy which is actually going well. There is a Netflix show called Tour de France Unchained that does a nice job of selling it. Peacock has the USA coverage.
There is an American guy named Powless just crushing the climbs right now. His family is from the Onieda Nation but he was raised on Air Force bases.
A British mountain biker named Pidcock has shown some brilliance descending and British twins named Yates went 1-2 in a stage.
The big yikes is jerks throwing tacks on the roadways.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/05/2023 11:05 am  #259

Descending has always been my favorite part of biking.
Try not to think about the unicycle guy doing those parts of the Tour. 

7/09/2023 9:56 pm  #260

Descending? Down the Mountain of Hell.  I was amazed the course is so rough yet the camera I think was on his helmet is rock steady.

7/11/2023 11:56 am  #261

I am going to watch the whole thing when I have more time.
It may be the same course where 100 plus crashed right at the start a year or two ago.
In this one, less than a minute in there looks to be an intentional take down of the leader. 

7/19/2023 11:28 am  #262

I have been hoping that one of you better at biking would explain what seems to be an ambush of the leader about 40 seconds into the vid. Keep your eye to the right.
I'm not even sure which guy got up. 

7/20/2023 6:26 am  #263

I think the rules are no rules so that dude from the right was short cutting and apparently afraid to alter his course on that nasty surface.

7/20/2023 6:35 am  #264

The fans and support vehicles have altered the results of this tour pretty badly. Pogachar came in healing a broken wrist but was racing well up until he tried to sprint when his rival Vingegaard looked beatable. Pogachar mashed pedals but got cut off by a motorcycle dodging fans collapsing into the roadway. Vindegaard caught a break that day and has been the better rider ever since.

7/31/2023 6:56 am  #265

https://www.reuters.com/sports/cycling/rising-us-star-magnus-white-dies-training-accident-age-17-2023-07-30/July 30 (Reuters) - U.S. Junior Men's National Team member Magnus White has died at the age of 17 after being hit by a car while training in his home of Boulder, Colorado, USA Cycling said on Sunday.

White was focused on his final preparations before leaving for Glasgow in Scotland to compete in the Junior Men's Mountain Bike Cross-Country World Championships on Aug. 10.

Damn. I'm learning to hate car drivers.

Last edited by griff (7/31/2023 6:57 am)

8/03/2023 12:46 am  #266

Maybe the car wasn't at fault... the driver, you know what I mean.
I've seen some really stupid moves but it was usually kids.
But his mind could have been a million miles away with all the pressure.
Or it could have been a coach/fan/friend of a competitor like Nancy Kerrigan.
A hitman who snuck in through our porous southern border. 
Could have snuck up on him with a Tesla.
I know, it's tragic, but hardly cause for general hatred of drivers, just hate me instead. 

8/03/2023 5:50 am  #267

I'm trying not to blame drivers. Connectivity has turned modern cars into entertainment centers, hardly appropriate for safety. I'll just yell at the sky against our modern age.

8/25/2023 6:09 pm  #268

I hear you Griff, a combination of physically easy operation, too many distractions (mostly electronic) and short attention spans, combine for mobile time bombs.

Oh, and bikes going really fast...

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (8/25/2023 6:11 pm)

9/25/2023 6:40 am  #269

Pete and I just got back from the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont. Kingdom Trails is this amazing partnership of local landowners and businesses which are able to attract enough riders for economic viability. They have invested in trail-building and maintenance at a remarkable level. Put all that in a beautiful place and you really have something special.

9/25/2023 4:11 pm  #270

So you travel for hours. a couple states over to abuse yourselves on motorlesscycles?
You have admiration and sympathy. 

9/26/2023 6:02 am  #271

The nice thing about a bike road trip is you have your bike with you to ride places on the way. We rode Pine Hill Park in Rutland on the way up and Slate Quarry Park in Poultney on the way back. We are apparently bike shopping now as Pete has gotten the mountain bug.

11/18/2023 9:20 am  #272

That trip has made Pete into one of those filthy MTBers, even after living with my addiction for all these years.I've been surprised at the trajectory of her development but her background in road riding has done her a solid. Friday has become ride day at least until the lifts open. It's interesting to ride with a newbie because I have to reflect on what I've been doing automatically for years and actually improving my approach on some technical things.

1/12/2024 10:40 pm  #273

Looks like she has the right equipment and a great coach/cheerleader, but still...
=13px

1/19/2024 6:46 pm  #274

Hmm... world travel...
=13px

Board footera