cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2023 7:41 am  #276

Re: What is harshing your mellow today?

That's an unusual construction, is that swearing in pagan?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/09/2023 1:01 pm  #277

swearing in Texan

Last edited by Flint (3/09/2023 1:01 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/09/2023 2:27 pm  #278

Apparently, I'm fluent in Texan.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/09/2023 2:40 pm  #279

I curse at my computer about a dozen times a day.  Has technology just gotten that much worse?  The f*cking thing always does what I don't want it to.

This is all on my work computer.  They are trying to make too many systems work with each other and they don't want to play nice with one another.  My latest beef is that when I remote in from home, my mouse often double clicks when I just want to single click.  Swapping the mouse out doesn't fix it.  But it's not every time.  Motherf*cking piece of shit.  

Don't get me started on how often I have to enter my user ID and password

3/09/2023 3:29 pm  #280

glatt, I echo your anecdotal sentiment-- computers have gotten worse.

I work with computers, multiple computers and remote server sessions, all day every day, and the amount of time I spend each day on "working around minor annoyances/delays" has increased from about 1% of the time, 10 years ago, to, it seems like every 10-15 minutes lately.

Everything is so connected, and so fancy. It's doing everything the "new, better" way, but it's not better, because now it has a thousand ways to fail/hang/freeze just to accomplish what used to be "old-fashioned/manual" i.e. the "bad" way--the way that fvcking WORKED. and was FASTER.

3/09/2023 8:08 pm  #281

my main things:
1) it takes 8 seconds to print a document, the app is locked up during that time
2) docking station 'bricks' that plug into the laptop via thunderbolt are buggy and unreliable on a daily basis, the hardware docking stations were bulletproof and worked 100% of the time
3) have to register with Microsoft every time I open a word document on a different computer on my network, while already logged in with my AD credentials on that computer
4) Outlook email offers conditional formatting to customize/make your inbox easier to read, but it forgets the formatting 50% of the time you enter and exit the 'search' feature

ALL NEW ITEMS, related to single sign-on software
--It frequently locks my desktop, while I am literally in the middle of clicking and dragging something and haven't even let go of the mouse button yet, so literally ZERO seconds of inactivity.
--I multi-task on multiple computers on my desk, so now everything but my main computer has to run a 'mouse jiggler' to stay active. Consequently, I am 'green' on Teams for 100% of the day.

--the best one.. When I'm signed on to my computer, on a Teams meeting, sharing a screen with a remote server session where I'm also logged into with my network admin account, and I give control of my meeting mouse to the vendor (the whole purpose of the call) periodically my own mouse will disappear. Not JUST for the meeting, not JUST on the server session, but ALSO on my OWN COMPUTER. Meaning-- I can't un-mute myself to tell everyone what is happening. I can't close the meeting and re-join. I can't do anything, I'm completely frozen out. I have to TEXT my boss to ask the vendor to give me mouse control back. Then it happens again multiple times during the meeting. This didn't happen before single sign-on and I think the system is marking me 'inactive' on the remote server, because *I* haven't moved my mouse, despite the vendor busily clicking away..??

I spend a large part of the day fighting with things and, just.. waiting a perceptible period of time for a response to my mouse click. I'M MOVING FASTER THAN THE COMPUTERS AND I ONLY SLEPT 5 HOURS LAST NIGHT.. I should NOT be outperforming anything. Ten years ago when I was much faster, the computers were outperforming me. What the fvck happened?

3/09/2023 10:58 pm  #282

Some sort of anti-copying tech?  Like a "do not record" flag or something?

3/09/2023 11:14 pm  #283

glatt wrote:

I curse at my computer about a dozen times a day.  Has technology just gotten that much worse?  The f*cking thing always does what I don't want it to.

This is all on my work computer.  They are trying to make too many systems work with each other and they don't want to play nice with one another.  My latest beef is that when I remote in from home, my mouse often double clicks when I just want to single click.  Swapping the mouse out doesn't fix it.  But it's not every time.  Motherf*cking piece of shit.  

Don't get me started on how often I have to enter my user ID and password

I have been feeling this pain this week

Last edited by monster (3/09/2023 11:14 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/10/2023 5:55 am  #284

My computer monitor randomly decides that there is no activity and threatens to shut-down when I am:
a) on a  teams call, or
b) actually typing in a word doc on my own PC
Sometimes pressing the button on the bottom of the monitor solves this problem. And sometimes not. So I have to shut down the entire PC and reboot ...

Living life on the edge.

3/10/2023 7:54 am  #285

Yeah, I feel it. Change for the sake of change is freaking exhausting. I just want to do my job.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/10/2023 1:45 pm  #286

Anybody else getting the alert for device connecting-- be-BOOP, and disconnecting-- BE-boop, constantly throughout the day, for a phantom device that doesn't exist?

3/10/2023 2:21 pm  #287

I just had an attorney send a legal form back to me to fix.  I was filling out this web based USPTO form yesterday and specifically remember adding in our reference number in the appropriate field, but when we went to send the form to the client today for execution, the attorney saw that the first 12 digits of her full name were in the reference number field instead.

Chrome apparently auto-populated/overwrote the field with data it had saved from previous times I have filled out the form, but the form was so long, it didn't all fit on my screen, and I didn't see that our reference number was overwritten as I worked further down the page. I remember the screen kind of jumping around at some point as I entered our address, and that must have been when it overwrote my data.

Technically, this is my fault, because I didn't review the completed form closely enough.  It had about 50 or so discrete fields completed, and I was looking closely at the important fields. The client's name and what the client was alleging.  Shame on me.

So this attorney, who charges out at something like $500-600 per hour was double checking my work before it went out the door, and found this.

I'm not in trouble or anything, but this is a clear example of technology failing the user.

3/10/2023 4:02 pm  #288

"One after the Magna Carta, as if I could forget that--never!"

This reminds me of Xerox copiers changing 6s to 8s when using Optical Character Recognition to "sharpen" C O P I E S of documents.

"HE DEFECATED THROUGH A SUNROOF!"

3/11/2023 9:31 am  #289

Flint wrote:

Anybody else getting the alert for device connecting-- be-BOOP, and disconnecting-- BE-boop, constantly throughout the day, for a phantom device that doesn't exist?

My home machine does this if I charge a headlamp on it. It also used to do it with my Suunto watch which I finally gave up on because the interface was a fucking nightmare.

3/11/2023 9:33 am  #290

glatt wrote:

Chrome apparently auto-populated/overwrote the field with data it had saved from previous times I have filled out the form, but the form was so long, it didn't all fit on my screen, and I didn't see that our reference number was overwritten as I worked further down the page. I remember the screen kind of jumping around at some point as I entered our address, and that must have been when it overwrote my data.

This would give me a stroke.

3/11/2023 11:59 am  #291

Listening to you pros grouse makes me feel a little better.
I had a system built by a local shop that hardly gave me any headaches for ten years.
When it got cranky and then quit, I got a new HP with Windows 11.
HP and Microsoft think it is theirs, not mine.
I hate to admit it, but it took me a month to find the power button, controlling it with the power plug.  That was OK in a way because I was never sure HP wasn't talking to Bill G or others when I was out of the room.
I still can't believe it came without word processing (buy separately), not to mention data base and spreadsheet capabilities.  And FreeCell for fuck's sake.
I guess these and dozens of other roadblocks are all improvements that took over during the ten years I thought computing was fun and useful.

3/11/2023 2:37 pm  #292

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I hate to admit it, but it took me a month to find the power button, controlling it with the power plug. 

Ever since business school graduates took over HP, the company has slowly become less innovative than Dell.  Power button on the HP (that I was using yesterday) was underneath the display.  Perfectly flat so that one could not even feel it.  Hidden underneath so that it could not be seen (apparently to make it look prettier.)  I glued a tag with an arrow pointing to where that power button is located.  Who does this stuff?

All USB ports are at the center on the back.  The most difficult place to connect to.  Dell machines put USB ports on the side - where they can be found and accessed.

Same applies to the kids who are now writing software.  Cut, Copy, Paste, and Find belong (have always been) on one menu.  Now they are scattered in Word.  Cut is somewhere on the left on one bar.  Past to the right on some other bar.  Find is elsewhere.

Tables and fields?  It takes help to find it.  Worse, a Help option no longer exists.  It is called something else.  What version is the software?  No longer in the help windows.  Since we are too dumb to need to know that.

Somehow that is better because it is a change?

Better software companies would put a naive user in the room.  Let them try to figure it out.  And record what they did through one-way glass.  To discover what make sense and what should never be done.  According to business school graduates, that would only increase costs.  As one only recently said - because he was taught in business school how to be a decisions maker.

Bad things, done by Steve Ballmer and Carly Fiorina, continue to create problems.

3/11/2023 9:23 pm  #293

My box updated itself to Win11 about a month ago, and ever since then I can't get pictures off my sd card.  On Win 10, which I also hated, I put the card in the slot and a screen opened with my files visible.  Now I put the card in the slot, and nothing happens.  And I can't find the other (manual) way of doing it anymore.  So now I have a $700 camera that I have to use the screen on the back to look the pictures.

Change for the sake of change.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/12/2023 1:08 pm  #294

The power button on my HP work laptop is, insanely,a button that looks like all of the other keyboard buttons, right next to the DELETE button.

And that's downright reasonable, compared to the power button on its docking station, which is the ENTIRE TOP OF THE UNIT.

3/13/2023 12:58 pm  #295

Happy Monkey wrote:

The power button on my HP work laptop is, insanely,a button that looks like all of the other keyboard buttons, right next to the DELETE button.

I've seen one of those, somewhere. It was the same plastic and same mold as the keyboard keys, and arranged in-line with the keyboard. Amazing that this could be a design choice they actually went with.

3/13/2023 3:46 pm  #296

I imagine a million engineers screaming NO! and some designer with their head full of featureless black rectangles from Apple and a penny pincher thinking they'll save 50 cents per unit ignoring them.

3/13/2023 5:02 pm  #297

I'm writing a whole near field sci-fi based on human foibles in the technology industry causing us to arrive in neither a technological utopia, nor a cynical dystopia, but a jumble-fvcked future that's just as stupid as things have always been (metaphors based on things like RCA failing to produce a home recording device because of insistence on favoring a vinyl capacitance disc over magnetic tape, compounded by their competing "pure research" and "market research" divisions) but there's definitely still a place for stupid decisions like this one. I'm imagining, what if the laptop that controlled a "Chernobyl" was turned off because a junior technician didn't realize it was the "off" button. It's just that easy to change the causality of a whole timeline.

3/13/2023 6:35 pm  #298

griff wrote:

glatt wrote:

This would give me a stroke.

this would give me a paycheck.

I have my own personal memories of most of these nightmares, all (work) day, every (work) day.  Ask me again why I like gardening and riding my manual bicycle.  As for the paycheck chuckle above, it's really true.  I don't feel like I'm profiting from the misery of others, but that I'm profiting from their gratitude for being heard (and sometimes helped).  DJ's voice is a textbook example.

And it's often *not hard* to look good doing it.  Just the other day my teammate and I were having trouble with a serial communication setup.  Looooong story short, including opening the shell of the DB-25 end of the cable and tracing the pinouts compared to the manual, we had the maintenance supervisor open the cabinet and found the connector on the machine on the inside was connected to... air.  At the bottom of the cabinet was a ziploc bag with the ribbon cables that would have carried the serial communication from the connector on the outside of the cabinet to the recently replaced motherboard on the inside of the cabinet.  He connected it, worked first time.

So, thanks to the less than minimal fucking effort on the part of the previous technician, we got it to work and they're happy.  Really, sometimes you just can't make this shit up.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/13/2023 7:25 pm  #299

Hey, at least they left the needed cables in a baggie at the bottom of the case LOL

3/15/2023 4:03 pm  #300

High times magazine, is causing me great consternation. I subscribed back in January and never received anything no emails or snail mail. So I checked on my status and find out that they did receive my subscription back in January, and spaced me off. Just like back in 1980 when I subscribed and never received anything that time either. They cashed the check and never sent any magazines that time either.
Stoners are all the same.I guess.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

Board footera