cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2022 8:55 am  #101

Re: What are you streaming?

Oh, if you've got HBOMax you have to watch Nathan Fielder's new show, The Rehearsal. It's so, so bizarre, in a really mindblowing way.

Also, yes, Sandman was great, and we've really been enjoying For All Mankind as well.

8/17/2022 8:58 am  #102

Oh, and The Bear is really good, too. A little bit of sensory overload in the first few episodes, but that tapers as they get less into scene-setting and more into the characters--plus it captures what it's trying to capture extremely well.

8/17/2022 11:15 am  #103

Locke and Key is a fun show, but they ALWAYS have a scene near the end of the season where they hide behind the chainsaws.

8/18/2022 7:23 am  #104

Clodfobble wrote:

Oh, and The Bear is really good, too. A little bit of sensory overload in the first few episodes, but that tapers as they get less into scene-setting and more into the characters--plus it captures what it's trying to capture extremely well.

The Bear is great.  And I almost couldn't make it through the first couple episodes.

8/18/2022 3:30 pm  #105

I've been watching the original McCloud, on FreeVee (formerly IMDBtv).

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/18/2022 4:47 pm  #106

The Russian Dolls finale reminded me that I need more David Gilmore in my Spotify mix.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/21/2022 12:21 pm  #107

Happy Monkey wrote:

Sandman was amazing.  I wish it wasn't released in the Netflix "all at once" format, because I couldn't wait, and now it's over for who knows how long...  I may actually watch it again, which I almost never do.

Who knows how long?  Not long at all!  They released a bonus episode!  I wonder if they'll be taking some of the standalone issues of Sandman and releasing them as bonus episodes between seasons, to keep interest up, or if it just took them a while to finish this one, so they separated it.

9/09/2022 1:36 am  #108

So hey that new Lord of the Rings dropped. Two really good episodes, I can't complain. Tolkien didn't write much about the first age, so there's plenty of room for artistic license, and they're not fvcking it up.

Last edited by Flint (9/09/2022 1:37 am)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

9/09/2022 6:30 am  #109

LOTR: I watched the first episode but didn't find it visually appealing and nodded off a few times. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it.
The Bear, I like a lot we're watching one episode a week and it feels like a nice slow reveal. 1883 has really sucked me in, I give a shit about the characters which is kinda the point.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/22/2022 5:41 am  #110

The second episode of The Ring was better.

Watched the first episode of Andor, I like it so far.

Last edited by griff (9/22/2022 5:44 am)

9/23/2022 10:13 am  #111

Rings of Power is very pretty, but the buildup hasn't had any payoff yet; hopefully it works when it does.
Andor is quite good.  Great feel of the original trilogy; cool worldbuilding in the background, interesting plot.  Still buildup with only partial payoff after 3 episodes, but I don't mind it as much with this as I have with Rings.
Rewatched all of Sandman; awesome show.  Probably in my top 5 ever.

9/24/2022 5:01 pm  #112

Just finished 12 Monkeys. It was OK but especially toward the end there were way too many weak writing cop-outs where characters would go out of character and do something contrary to their nature to pad out the story. A lot of I won't shoot this guy even though I've just been shooting everyone every time I had a chance, no. I'll try to have a fist fight with him instead, then I'll try to reason with him instead of just shooting him when he didn't see me. OH! Rats! he got away. tune in next week. So yeah, it was OK.

Also just finished Reacher on amazon prime. some very funny moments. Great acting and action/mystery stuff. A little lame at the end, again, characters making poor choices that are inexplicable given their previous actions.

Hey! That's me up there!

11/16/2022 2:39 pm  #113

Chernobyl.
Really, really, really well done dramatization of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. Acting, great. Production value, peerless. Casting, writing, screenplay, all top-notch. Research/accuracy-- as far as I can tell, probably as perfect as possible. I really want to binge this whole thing, but it's so good I'm only allowing myself one episode per day. I'll be sad when it's over.

HBO original mini-series, on Hulu if you have the HBO add-on.

eta:

Happy Monkey wrote:

Rings of Power is very pretty, but the buildup hasn't had any payoff yet; hopefully it works when it does.

It's gradually picks up the pace, and the payoff is well, well, worth it. The last few episodes are incredible.

Last edited by Flint (11/16/2022 2:41 pm)

11/16/2022 7:11 pm  #114

Chernobyl and Handmaid's Tale are in the category of "looks good, but I'm never in the mood to start a depressing series".

Andor is awesome.  It's the first Star Wars since the original trilogy to have that original Star Wars feeling.  It feels like a show set in the Star Wars universe, rather than a "hey look here's a Star Wars" thing.

I liked Rings of Power, but I sort of felt like the season finale's message was "OK, now the show can start", which was sort of the "buildup" feeling I had throughout the series.  I still have the "hopefully the payoff works" feeling, and am glad it is Bezos' baby, so it will have a chance to do it. 

I'm very happy Sandman was renewed.  The next storyline may be my favorite, so at least we'll have that, even if we don't get the whole thing.  But I want the whole thing.   I also listened to part 3 of the Sandman audio play on Audible; it is excellent.

Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities was pretty good.  Some Lovecraftian stuff, some actual Lovecraft, and some other various horror.  Twilight Zone adjacent.

11/16/2022 7:20 pm  #115

Happy Monkey wrote:

Chernobyl and Handmaid's Tale are in the category of "looks good, but I'm never in the mood to start a depressing series".

Handmaid's tale is a depressing view of our future, Chernobyl is a depressing view of our past.

The former is unbearably depressing, the kind of nightmare dystopian scenario that keeps me awake at night; the latter is safely contained within a story which I already know the details of, and can point to as some bone-headed, "perfect storm" scenario that--although it could, and probably will happen again in the future--doesn't seem to have the same sense of urgency, the feeling that WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS WHAT THE F#CK IS WRONG WITH EVERYBODY I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE

11/17/2022 7:04 am  #116

Happy Monkey wrote:

Andor is awesome.  It's the first Star Wars since the original trilogy to have that original Star Wars feeling.  It feels like a show set in the Star Wars universe, rather than a "hey look here's a Star Wars" thing.

Confirmed

11/17/2022 4:43 pm  #117

Mr. Clod convinced me to watch Andor, even though I unapologetically hate Star Wars... and I must begrudgingly admit that it is very good.

11/17/2022 4:44 pm  #118

this is un-American

11/17/2022 4:45 pm  #119

It's an absolutely stupid movie series and you've all been hoodwinked by childhood nostalgia.

11/17/2022 5:40 pm  #120

do you wake up this wrong, or do you guzzle a big glass of wrong juice first thing

11/17/2022 6:25 pm  #121

Ha!

11/26/2022 12:26 pm  #122

Andor stuck the landing.  Amazing tension during the buildup to the climax, and excellent storytelling throughout.

I watched Wednesday on Netflix.  I didn't think they got the Addams family dynamics quite right, but the rest of the family isn't around much, so that's not a huge issue.  Wednesday herself is quite good.  It was fun that Christina Ricci was in it.  Also, between this and Cabinet of Curiosities, we had Garfunkel and Oates as well.  Fairly "Young Adult" plotwise, but gorier than most in that genre.

11/26/2022 12:51 pm  #123

A good insight into part of what makes Andor so good.

Last edited by Happy Monkey (11/26/2022 12:51 pm)

3/11/2023 11:13 am  #124

Seems to be general consensus, and I agree, that The Last of Us is amazing.

I've enjoyed this season of Carnival Row quite a bit, but I never see any mention of it online, and they're releasing them two at a time, so I suspect it's not long for this world.

3/11/2023 8:33 pm  #125

I watched Rango, earlier this afternoon.  I genuinely enjoyed that movie.  I actually enjoyed catching the movie references throughout more than the story line which was entertaining, as well.

Also re-watching Longmire.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (3/11/2023 9:11 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Board footera