cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2023 1:10 pm  #1

Carruthers?

Hey guys, has anyone heard from C? We pulled the card from the trail cam this morning and I never get a badger here...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/12/2023 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Carruthers?

Calling Mr. C.  Calling Mr. C.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/15/2023 6:08 am  #3

I've emailed him.

Living life on the edge.

3/15/2023 6:59 am  #4

This is the reply I've had from Carruthers. I have his permission to share this information with you. I will pass on to him any messages you wish to send him.

I've been AWOL these past few months largely due to Dad's deteriorating health.I won't bore you with the details suffice to say that it culminated in him being admitted to hospital just over three weeks ago and he has recently been put on end of life care.At ninety-seven he's had a long life and I suppose that I should be able to deal with the current circumstances rather better than I am but I'm finding things rather difficult at present.I haven't abandoned The Cellar and still hope to be back at some time.

Last edited by Limey (3/15/2023 6:59 am)

Living life on the edge.

3/15/2023 6:56 pm  #5

Damn.

I was afraid his absence may have had something to do with his dad, but I didn't want to say it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/15/2023 7:08 pm  #6

Thank you limey.

Carruthers, my heart is with you.  This is a hard time and no internet posting will make it better.  That won't keep me from making this post, or keep me from trying.  I hope for the best for you and for your Dad.  I've had my own fairly recent experiences with "end of life care".  It was horrible in my mind, but in my memory, it was a blessing.  A blessing.  Obviously, your mileage may vary.

But my internet affection and empathy for you and your Dad does not vary.

Take care of business Carruthers.  We're here, patiently waiting for you, however long it takes; we're here for you.   You know your priorities.  You got this.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/15/2023 8:37 pm  #7

We are Praying. 

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/16/2023 11:39 pm  #8

He's been caring for Dad so long this will be a major change in his life, and that's on top of losing family.
I don't envy him one bit, it's a tough row to hoe. All the best Sir, you have friends in the Cellar.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/22/2023 10:19 am  #9

I am sorry, I have been slow to bring you this sad news from Carruthers:
"Sadly Dad died at 1745 on Sunday evening. Thankfully I was there and he died peacefully. He wasn't in any pain, the staff made him comfortable and he was peaceful during his last few days. All things for which I am grateful."

Living life on the edge.

3/22/2023 2:52 pm  #10

Sorry for your loss, Carruthers.

3/22/2023 3:28 pm  #11

Sorry for your loss, Sir. 

3/22/2023 6:33 pm  #12

Thinking of you, old chap

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/22/2023 8:41 pm  #13

Well, damn.

I got no experience here.  What do ya say anyway?

I am greatly saddened to hear this news.  This is gonna be a hard lick for Mr. C no doubt,

3/23/2023 6:03 am  #14

I'm sorry Carruthers. peace

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/23/2023 6:40 am  #15

I'm sorry you lost your Dad, Carruthers.

3/25/2023 3:41 am  #16

Knowing it was coming doesn't seem to make it any easier.
We're here if you need us, always.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/02/2023 9:53 am  #17

Just a few words to say thank you to everyone who has asked after me in recent weeks. Limey has kindly updated me by Email. 

As you now know Dad died a fortnight ago.
His health had been declining for several years and two years ago pretty much fell off a cliff.
I won't trouble you with the details suffice to say that spinal deterioration was taking an ever increasing toll on his mobility to the point where he was unable to walk and I had to lift him from his bed or chair into a wheelchair. 

In mid February he was taken ill and was admitted to hospital.
Despite the best efforts efforts of the medical staff he didn't show any signs of improvement and it was agreed that he should be put on end of life care.

When the end came I had spent all day at his bedside except when I briefly returned home for a bite to eat.
On return, I'd been with him for an hour or so when he slipped away.
I'm just grateful that the end was peaceful and that I was there. 

Dad was born in 1925, lived through the privations of the nineteen thirties and was then called up to serve in the Royal Navy in 1943.
It probably wasn't the best way to spend the first twenty or so years of your life but as he lived to the age of ninety-seven it didn't seem to have done him too much harm
I'm not sure how I would have coped with a start in life like that. They made them tough in those days.

Dad's passing has hit me far harder than I ever could have imagined and just writing this is getting to me so I hope you'll forgive me if I bring this post to an end. 

Thanks, Dad.
Thanks for everything.

4/02/2023 11:23 am  #18

Carruthers wrote:

They made them tough in those days.

Amen to that.

That generation saved the world.  Literally.  We should all be thankful those guys were made tough as they were.

Thanks, Dad.

And don't worry, that post got to me, too.

4/02/2023 7:31 pm  #19

Thinking of you, my friend <3

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/02/2023 8:52 pm  #20

There's no right or wrong way to grieve. Take your time, and we'll be here.

4/03/2023 6:20 am  #21

Peace C.

4/03/2023 4:00 pm  #22

Love and Hope Mr.C.

4/03/2023 4:11 pm  #23

Thanks, Dad, indeed. We're here for you Carruthers, whenever you need us.

Living life on the edge.

Board footera