cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2023 5:59 am  #1

Craftsman Tools

In my youth the Moore Drop Forge company located across the street from Smith & Wesson made Craftsman tools for Sears.
Making anything shit happens, it's the first rule of the universe.
They had a couple of big bins outside where they would discard bad pieces the inspectors rejected.
Some were not real bad just not good enough.
If some ne'er-do-well were to sneak into the yard at night and snatch a tool or two, they could take it to any Sears store and they would replace it no questions asked... or so I'm told.
Now Sears is gone, Craftsman is kaput, and the last time I was at Smith & Wesson I didn't see Moore's either.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/25/2023 8:08 am  #2

Re: Craftsman Tools

I used to love Craftsman tools.  The quality definitely changed over the years.  The number of clicks in a socket wrench rotation was a dead giveaway.

3/25/2023 10:52 am  #3

I remember walking into Sears with a rusty ratchet my Dad had broken with a long pipe years earlier. I walked out with a new ratchet no questions asked.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/25/2023 11:05 am  #4

You can use the linked reference below to identify the manufacturer codes and date ranges of the Craftsman USA tools you already have, want to acquire as matching tools on the secondary market; or, want to sell. Ebay sellers have a lot of that stuff, sometimes even in new (NOS) or like new condition. The list goes from Craftsman's beginning up to about 2010 (which includes the time range during which I got most of my tools, '80-'89). I did; however, recently buy an older (like new), VV series, 8-point, double square socket on eBay for a specific application.

Craftsman Hand Tool Manufacturers & Date Ranges

3/25/2023 11:16 am  #5

griff wrote:

I remember walking into Sears with a rusty ratchet my Dad had broken with a long pipe years earlier. I walked out with a new ratchet no questions asked.

This.  Except I broke mine with a long pipe.

3/25/2023 11:24 am  #6

I've always thought that guarantee was magic, along with the ones for Snap-on, Proto, NAPA and others.
Of course, those tools seldom failed and felt good to use.
The main thing they did that the guarantee didn't help was disappear.
I snapped a mystery brand 1/2" flex head this week and will buy a better one.
Actually, I broke a 1/2" extension a few weeks ago, too.  Toyota strut assemblies are torqued at 160 plus and after 200k do not like to come off.

3/25/2023 12:54 pm  #7

I liked the craftsman because the high rent tools were shiny, often chromed, so looked good but when I was up to my elbows in grease and oil the shiny ones would slip. I could still grip the Craftsman as That little bit of rough texture was functional.

3/25/2023 2:20 pm  #8

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Now Sears is gone, Craftsman is kaput, and the last time I was at Smith & Wesson I didn't see Moore's either. 

85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management.  In this case, an MBA and hedge fund manager.  Who was doing what is taught in business schools.  Enrich yourself by screwing others.  (Trump is another perfect example.)

From 2005, Eddie Lampert drove both Sears and Kmart into destruction by doing what business school graduates are taught.  Cut costs to increase profits.  Then take obscene bonuses.  Lampert further enriched himself by getting Sears Holdings to sell properties to him at distressed prices.

Bill Ackerman used Pershing Square Capital Management to do same destruction to J C Pennys.  While Pershing Square reaped $4.5 billion in 2014 alone.

One need only see same in places like DeepWater Horizon.  And a recent Norfolk Southern disaster to learn why and where jobs, productivity, and America's strength is being depleted. 

Nardelli was paid $200 million to leave Home Depot.  Since he was was doing so much harm implementing concepts taught in business schools.  Then then bankrupted Chrysler doing same.  Is now doing same the a grocery store chain called Acme.  Doing what is taught in business schools.

Craftsman is just another example of what business school graduates do to America to enrich themselves as the expense of all others.  As Carly Fiorina did to Hewlett Packard.

The purpose of business is now to enrich the Central Committee of the Party at the expense of all others.

Knowning that Craftsman was in its last year, I traded (upgraded) all my Craftsman screw drivers.

Last edited by tw (3/25/2023 2:21 pm)

3/26/2023 1:35 pm  #9

tw wrote:

85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management.

Somebody bump the record player, it's stuck again.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/26/2023 1:42 pm  #10

I think the record is warped, too.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/27/2023 12:25 am  #11

Reality does not change because it is so difficult to understand.

Extremist hate everything - even reality.

Last edited by tw (3/27/2023 12:27 am)

3/28/2023 5:39 pm  #12

tw wrote:

Reality does not change because it is so difficult to understand.

Extremist hate everything - even reality.

I don't hate everything, but, I do hate you.

Thanks for proving my point, though.

4/02/2023 1:45 am  #13

TheNeverWas wrote:

I don't hate everything, but, I do hate you.
Thanks for proving my point, though. 

No you don't really, he's one of the very few things you can rely on without fail to be predictable. That reliability is a rare commodity these days. Since you know what the speil is you only have to determine if it's relevant to the discussion at  hand... which is also rare.

4/02/2023 11:34 am  #14

I hate that motherfucker more than you can comprehend.

4/02/2023 12:09 pm  #15

TheNeverWas wrote:

I hate ...

He used that expression even more than Trump.  Expression common to nazis and racists.

Board footera