cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2023 5:30 am  #1

Boy Scouts Tearing up the Trails

Polaris has donated machines to Philmont and Summit Bechtel Reserve so the scouts can experience 4 wheeling.
This is especially cool for city kids and poor kids whose only experience is seeing delinquents and drug dealers tearing through the streets and alleys after dark.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (4/12/2023 5:31 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/12/2023 6:02 am  #2

Re: Boy Scouts Tearing up the Trails

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/12/2023 8:02 am  #3

When planning a scout crew trip to Philmont, you can enter a lottery for the crew for up to 40 different experiences.  Or maybe it was 20.  I forget.  Anyway, they are ranked in order of how adventurous they are, based on the number of miles hiked.  And the ATV adventures are at the bottom of the list and looked down upon by real scouts like the ones in my troop.  But they are probably fun.  They stay in a separate part of the large property and don't mix with hikers.  Not sure how things are set up in Summit.  Summit is more of an amusement park vibe anyway.

4/12/2023 12:42 pm  #4

I don't begrudge any of the claimants' payouts, but I hope BSA can keep Philmont going.

4/12/2023 2:04 pm  #5

The claimants certainly deserve the payouts, but the people doing the paying are innocent, they just got stuck holding the bag.  The bad actors are long gone and got off scott free.

4/13/2023 3:08 am  #6

Usually payouts are more about punishing the guilty than compensating the victim but the primary purpose is making lawyers fat.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera