cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2020 8:53 pm  #26

Re: DIY Shop

So to start, I dug some holes.

Be Just And Fear Not

11/17/2020 9:03 pm  #27

I filled the bottom with a few inches of gravel.

Be Just And Fear Not

11/17/2020 9:04 pm  #28

I put a block in the hole.

Be Just And Fear Not

11/17/2020 9:06 pm  #29

I repeated this process twenty-five times.

This was tiresome.

The footprint of the shop is 16'x16'.  That will give me a shop that is 12'x16' (192' square, under the 200' square limit for structures that do not require a permit) and I'll have a 4'x16' porch on the front.  My plan is to create a foundation of the blocks set in the ground on a bed of gravel to make leveling and drainage easier.  The blocks will support some 4x6x16 beams (pressure treated) upon which the floor joists will sit.  On top of the joists will be 3/4 pressure treated plywood, glued and screwed to create the subfloor.  #spoileralert

Be Just And Fear Not

11/18/2020 7:26 am  #30

All to avoid painting a gate. ;)

That looked repurposed to me like an old bed frame or something.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/18/2020 8:45 am  #31

Is that an earthquake worthy foundation?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/18/2020 4:12 pm  #32

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Is that an earthquake worthy foundation?

It's not.

The gravel rests in the holes, the blocks rest on the gravel, the beams rest on the blocks, the joists rest on the beams.  But the deck is fastened to the joists and the walls are fastened to the deck and the rafters are fastened to the walls and the roof is fastened to the rafters.

I had the option to stake the joists into the earth pinning them to the beams, but I kind of overlooked that step.  Conceivably, it's still possible.  The corners of the building are easily accessible and I could manage to strap the joists down to some kind of staking arrangement.  I'm gonna defer that improvement behind a bunch of others, but I did think about it.  

I think the worst thing that could happen is the whole box would shake and knock the beams over from standing on their narrow edge to their wider edge.  That would be bad, the box is impossibly heavy to lift at this point, but I think the structure would survive.  It'd be much much worse if a tree fell onto it.  That would be deadly.

Be Just And Fear Not

11/18/2020 4:39 pm  #33

I've seen whole houses built on basically this arrangement. Old ones, too, that are still there.

Kind of cracked in half and leaning off in different directions, but, still there.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/18/2020 11:14 pm  #34

Sure, building on piers is a common technique anywhere it's wet or they don't want/need a basement. Some even build that way and still put a trapdoor in the floor for a dug a root cellar or tornado shelter.

Oh, and POW housing to prevent tunneling.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (11/18/2020 11:15 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera