cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2022 9:38 pm  #51

Re: Earworms. Songs stuck in your head

OK that may cause me problems tomorrow because I'm marshalling swim meets this week :o  I will try to avoid seeing any of them actually swim because... well this is now my #1 reason......

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/05/2022 5:41 pm  #52

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/07/2022 9:11 pm  #53

^ that won't go the fuck away (just the two line refrain) and it's making me bloody miserable   I miss beest so badly

8/10/2022 7:34 pm  #54

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/10/2022 11:13 pm  #55

OMG that's horrible, so sorry Grav/TNW

8/12/2022 4:02 pm  #56

I recognised Julie Andrews as the singer but wasn't aware that the song is from Disney's 'Cinderella'.

An innocent enough tune but it keeps going around and around and around and...

8/14/2022 6:42 am  #57

monster wrote:

OMG that's horrible, so sorry Grav/TNW

Ohhhhh ! I was wondering which old dwellar that was

8/15/2022 6:36 am  #58

Charley Crockett as background in a mtb video.
Good for now.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/29/2023 11:04 pm  #59

monster wrote:

Well Bollocks.  This came back about a week ago and it still won't fuck off

4/30/2023 11:36 am  #60

We sang this in the bar the other night:

And when I say we, I mean almost the whole dang place.  It was pretty cool.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

4/30/2023 11:37 am  #61

I'm stilled a little stunned that many ppl knew the song...

4/30/2023 1:55 pm  #62

Yeah, I don't know it

4/30/2023 9:19 pm  #63

It's the Beatle's conceptual equivalent to Dead Skunk, by Loudon Wainwright III
or maybe not.

Hey! That's me up there!

4/30/2023 9:44 pm  #64

I'm sure it is.  I'm too young for the Beatles (sorry Grav I know you're about the same age) so I only really know the big, big hits.  And mostly hate them.  But there ya go

6/12/2023 8:44 pm  #65

DanaC wrote:

Ohhhhh ! I was wondering which old dwellar that was

Another old friend died on me the other day.  Man, if I had a nickel for every drink we had, well, I'd have a shiltload of nickels.  He was always ready to go, too.

Me:  Let's go drinking.
Him:  (drops urrthang) What are you waitin' for?  'S go.

A day or two later I heard this out riding around.  It hit me all kinds of wrong...

Last edited by TheNeverWas (6/12/2023 8:47 pm)

6/13/2023 5:50 am  #66

There are much worse earworms anyway. Sorry for your pain man.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/14/2023 8:19 pm  #67

I have no ides where this came from... but it be stuck,,,

11/22/2023 7:45 pm  #68

from Poll: how much music plays in your head?
https://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32616&highlight=undertoad

2) The bridge section that prefaces the keyboard solo. I love dramatically up-transposing 1980s bridge sections. I try to sing this in the shower (tuesday, wednesday, and thursday), although it goes way above my vocal range.

*It goes above Henley's vocal range, too. He's no more capable of hitting those notes than he is of fulfilling the (unconvincing) pledge to his girlfriend that, "one day soon, we're gonna get in that car and get out of here." That is never going to happen, just like he's never going to be able to hit those high notes. He's fooling himself.

Upon listening to that section and it making me cry, I am reminded that nothing is more emotionally compelling than a vocalist pushing beyond their vocal range and failing. This is because higher emotion is in a higher vocal range. At 1:57 of this video, the voice actor's heightened pitch reaches a crescendo, and they break down, ending on a disintegrating voice crack. If you watch the whole thing, I think he goes through all the "stages of grief"

Last edited by Flint (11/22/2023 7:45 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/23/2023 4:43 pm  #69

One thing that gets irritating with earworms is if the section that repeats is too short like a measure or two. I think there was an unimaginative Dragon tune that did that in my head.

11/24/2023 5:31 am  #70

I get a short phrase stuck in my head, disconnected from the melody or any contextual clues as to what song it's from.
Here's one-- "[something] some other guy." All I knew was, the singer was a guy, and he was upset about a girl he liked, re: "[something] some other guy."

Can anybody figure this out? Spoiler, it was around 52s of this track: spoiler (not a rickroll)

I had to force the words to repeat over and over, guessing at different melodies, or what other words happened before or after this, until eventually "breaking loose" the memory of how the song sounds. Is this what dementia is like? Will this eventually happen to me with people's names and faces? Is this a sneak preview of my mind disintegrating? Or I am just experiencing symptoms of having an "association-based" imaginattion.

Last edited by Flint (11/24/2023 5:37 am)

11/24/2023 8:39 am  #71

I never would have gotten there without the previous phrase. That dementia idea is pretty disturbing.

11/29/2023 6:33 pm  #72

I just learned today that pathological liars have much more white matter, and less grey matter than normal people in their frontal cortex. This would indicate higher connectivity, and I would think "creativity"

12/07/2023 11:13 pm  #73

It's been weeks....

12/08/2023 2:19 pm  #74

hey, thanks, monster
my brain couldn't remember how Living Dead Girl goes, so it's decided to put Dragula on repeat

12/08/2023 9:04 pm  #75

Best cure for earworms is a better song where one does not know the words.

Board footera