cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2023 11:33 am  #101

Re: Notable Women

Wearing pants?  What a slut.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/07/2023 9:10 pm  #102

Ruth Rowland Nichols 1901~1960
Ruth Nichols was an American aviation pioneer and holder of more than 35 women’s aviation records.
The only woman ever to hold simultaneous world records in flying for speed, altitude and distance.
She flew dirigibles, gliders, autogyros, seaplanes, biplanes, triplanes, transports, and jets.
First female pilot to land in all 48 states. In 1929, co-founded the Ninety Nines with Amelia Earhart.
First woman in the world with a seaplane license and second in the US with Commerce transport license.
1928 Co-piloted the first non-stop from New York to Miami. 1929 1st “Powder Puff Derby” but crashed.
1930 beat Charles Lindbergh’s record for a transcontinental flight, in 13 hours, 21 minutes.
1931, women’s world altitude record of 28,743 feet in an unpressurized plane. Oxygen hose in her teeth.
1931, she set a women’s world speed record of 210.7 miles per hour.
1931 attempted first woman to solo the Atlantic but last refuel in Canada was a crude strip. Crashed.
Five broken vertebrae, dislocated knee, internal injuries, 2 months in a hospital lower body cast.
Four months later, flying in a steel corset to support her back.
1931, set women’s distance record, 1,977 miles from Oakland, California to Louisville, Kentucky.
The very next day, getting ready to fly to New York, a valve leaking fuel, plane exploded in flames.
1935, a private plane she was in crashed shortly after take-off, killing the pilot. She was hurt
1939, she formed Relief Wings, a private airborne ambulance corps deployed during war.
1949 round-the-world tour for UNICEF.
1958, co-piloted a Delta Dagger at 1,000 mph and 51,000 ft, new women’s speed & altitude records.
1960, OD on barbiturates.
“It takes special kinds of pilots to break frontiers and in spite of the loss of everything, you can’t clip the wings of their hearts.”

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/19/2023 1:29 am  #103

Ladies in the Military have always impressed me, doubly because a big chunk of them are Doctors and Nurses.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (6/19/2023 1:29 am)

6/21/2023 4:12 pm  #104

Ya know, I've tried to embrace this thread but .... "notable"?  Women doing great things are "notable"?  And so many posts later there still seems to be an element of surprise about their ability to go beyond looking pretty.  And why is this in the Philosophy forum?  It's just a school of thought? 

But then again, how else to get some equity?  If a scale isn't balanced, you have to focus on adding just to the one side until balance is achieved and then you can go back to adding to both sides equally....  so then I guess I do understand why it's in philosophy....... 

OK I'll get my coat. The one with pockets 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/21/2023 4:37 pm  #105

Double entendre.

6/21/2023 11:11 pm  #106

monster wrote:

Ya know, I've tried to embrace this thread but .... "notable"?  Women doing great things are "notable"?

Yes...?  Doing great things is one of the better ways to be notable.  Lots of people are notable for worse reasons.

6/22/2023 12:20 pm  #107

I think I get your point, Monster. These accomplishments would be less notable if society were a level playing field. But it’s not. Not now and even less so going back in time.

So these women were notable not only for what they did but for the environment in which they did it.

6/22/2023 4:29 pm  #108

Pete Zicato wrote:

I think I get your point, Monster. These accomplishments would be less notable if society were a level playing field. But it’s not. Not now and even less so going back in time.

So these women were notable not only for what they did but for the environment in which they did it.

Hi Pete!

Living life on the edge.

6/22/2023 7:44 pm  #109

Limey wrote:

Hi Pete!

Hey Limey!  What’s shakin’?

You still making music?

6/22/2023 7:52 pm  #110

Undertoad wrote:

and if all this still seems a little contradictory, we men are happy to jump in and clarify it further for you

we are... the good ones

Pretty sure I was not mansplaining. I meant it as a counter-argument to Monster’s post.

6/22/2023 8:46 pm  #111

monster wrote:

Ya know, I've tried to embrace this thread but .... "notable"?  Women doing great things are "notable"?

Yeah!  Fuck dem bitches!!!  Doing shit like being all accomplished 'n' shit.  Doing shit other ppl couldn't/wouldn't do 'n' shit.

Even men!!?!?

The horror.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/22/2023 9:14 pm  #112

"Notable" to me is almost dismissive.  "I'll be sure to make a note of that".  

but then... it's a thread to attempt to redress the balance..... and much as I would love for equal weights to be added to the scale from hereon in.... I get that a better starting pointwould make that more viable.

but then.. there are post like Grav's/TNW which are always presented as jus' funnin' but ya know? ....it gets old.

but then,,,  now we have a conversation about it rather than just a  (well-meant) gesture?

I want my achievements to be recognized.  I don't want them to be singled out or recognized only because of my gender/sex.  

I guess make-up sex leaves some with a bad taste in their mouths

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/22/2023 9:21 pm  #113

Pete Zicato wrote:

these women were notable not only for what they did but for the environment in which they did it.

I like this.

But... most likely that's hard for a significant proportion of the population to understand   Because the environment shouldn't have existed and yet it still does, and only a very small proportion of those creating it are doing so intentionally

Last edited by monster (6/22/2023 9:22 pm)

6/24/2023 6:54 pm  #114

My intent using the word notable is most of the examples are women who did remarkable things and either got no credit or might have been recognized by peers, but faded quickly when history was recorded. I suspect mostly because they were women. Why are the names that people know who you’re talking about (Edison, Tesla, Bell, Wright) mostly men, except for women in show business? Some of the women I’ve detailed in this thread did exceptional things.
Like if she ran a four minute mile, men have done it, but for her socially it was on a 30% grade the whole way, and she still might not get credit.

I think the best one is, He works for a living but his wife doesn’t work, she’s a homemaker.
I know damn well building a house is a hell of a lot easier than maintaining a home.
After supper Dad reads the paper/watches the 6 o’clock news. What’s Mom doing? Still working and will be till everything is squared away, cleaned up, and kids asleep.
I know a woman who was the assistant to the vice president and general manager of a major San Francisco hotel. Big Boss tells someone on the phone, ”I’ll take care of that”. But he’s not the one who has to fix the problem, that gets handed to her. Not as a look-into-it, but as a fix-it, and in the hotel business everything is by yesterday.
I worked with a lot of women at Boeing who did the same job as the men, but were rarely promoted to supervision. When they were it was in the handling blueprints or tools, auxiliary jobs.

I’ve also seen individual women pull the, but-that’s-a-mans-job-I’m-just-a-girl, bullshit. They never say woman, it's always girl. They get away with it because Joe Macho puffs out his chest, flexes his ego and says I’ll do it.
Played him like a piano. Payback? Maybe, but it irks me anyway.
Hold on while I put my soapbox away.

This woman designed the first modern kitchen by studying the use and applying that knowledge.
But credit for the first went to someone else two years later.

6/26/2023 6:34 pm  #115

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

This woman designed the first modern kitchen...

Well, at least she knew her place.

7/03/2023 5:06 am  #116

TheNeverWas wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

This woman designed the first modern kitchen...

Well, at least she knew her place.

Say hello to Satan for us because you're going straight to hell. Do not pass GO, no money collecting for you, high speed express...
D
O
W
N
but thanks for the chuckle. 

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (7/03/2023 5:06 am)

7/03/2023 4:20 pm  #117

I recycled that from this thread's name sake from the Before Times.

A sarcasm font should definitely be a thing...

I was actually trying to bait Monster into setting me on fire since she don't seem to like recognition, or compliments, because my cat, Monster, isn't speaking to me atm.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (7/03/2023 4:20 pm)

7/03/2023 4:34 pm  #118

Adults who are adult are not baited.  Do not get emotional.  And need not demean others to enthrall an ego.

7/10/2023 11:19 pm  #119

People without emotion are called cadavers.

Some Russian theorized that she died in 1934 and they claimed it was her daughter then the kid became her but doctors and relatives along with handwriting samples and questioning by historians have proven her to be the real deal. Plus we know Russians lie.
What surprised me is there have been about 567,000 new centenarians in the G7 countries from 1950 till 2000, including 52,725 (9.3%) in France.
She must have been eating that high rent chocolate. I wondered what she smoked then saw a photograph smoking a cigarette.
I wanna believe.

8/02/2023 11:41 pm  #120

He was right...

8/02/2023 11:48 pm  #121

Not a notable woman, 1102 notable women...
Sorry it's a little sloppy but pieced together from a very bad copy.
[

10/22/2023 7:18 pm  #122

Found this site that has a lot of notable women recording great music.
Most of it few have heard of unless they were fans of nitch/niche music.
https://www.ladiesonrecords.com/

12/25/2023 5:20 pm  #123

I've a feeling this was a orchestrated publicity shot, she might even be the supervisor.
Nobody, but nobody, is wiring that computer without a scrap of paperwork.
=13px

1/07/2024 1:02 am  #124

Pat Wise, first British woman to compete in the Isle of Man TT.

Her story is outlined mostly in pictures here...
https://www.ttwebsite.com/ladies/features/pwise.htm

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (1/07/2024 1:04 am)

1/13/2024 6:26 pm  #125

=13px
Paula Murphy, a Hall of Fame racer and the first woman licensed to drive a Funny Car, died 12/21/23. She was 95.
The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) announced Murphy's death on Friday. It did not provide any details.
Murphy was a pioneer for women in racing. She had set a women's land speed record of 161 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats for Andy Granatelli in 1963.
It was Granatelli who sponsored a new Funny Car drag racing entry for Murphy, who became known as "Miss STP."
"I was a real oddity, and I think a lot of strip operators thought it was pretty good to sell tickets," Murphy said, according to the NHRA website.
"I didn't have problems getting booking dates. I was very well accepted not only by the tracks but by my fellow racers.
Back then, there was a lot of camaraderie between the teams helping one another out. We were a big family."
Murphy drove at Talladega Superspeedway in 1971 in the STP Dodge of Freddie Lorenzen, going 171.499 mph.
She powered a dragster to a 258-mph run at the Winternationals in 1973.
She suffered a broken neck in a crash in early 1974 at Sears Point Raceway when her car wouldn't shut down and flipped over and over after landing.
She returned to drag racing in 1976 and toured the country before retiring.
Murphy was inducted into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame in 1992 and the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 2017.
"I got really, really lucky," she said, according to the NHRA. "I don't think many people have gotten the opportunity to do some of the things that I did."

Granatelli was the PT Barnum of racing, always coming up with something to sell more tickets and keep the STP logo before the public.
What better than a young cute chick to bring the boys in, then think up another idea.
That plan went  to hell when Paula showed she could do the job, and whats more... WIN!
They moved her to different types of racing where she was always competitive and won her share.
She opened the door for a lot of women in motor sports. A skilled and classy champion. RIP

Board footera