cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2020 9:26 pm  #1

Names. (My obsession) ((Well one of them))

Kaidence.

just saw it in a BBC story.  Sorry, but no.  Cadence, yes, that could be a beautiful name.  But Kaidence is the orthographical equivalent of Michael Jackson's nose surgery.

I have judged, let the poo flinging commence.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/30/2020 7:15 am  #2

Re: Names. (My obsession) ((Well one of them))

hate it

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/30/2021 10:31 pm  #3

Basil.  Has it ever been used as a first name in the US? and if so, with the same weird pronunciation used for the 'erb?  Anyhoo, I think it's due a surge in popularity.  If Seth can do it, why not Basil?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/31/2021 8:27 am  #4

I worked with an attorney named Basil.  He went by Bill.  I never heard him called Basil.

He was difficult to work for, and you had to be extra careful with him because he was unkind and had power.

1/31/2021 9:34 am  #5

Very clever of him, to never say his name so we couldn't know if it was supposed to be pronounced "bay-zill" or "bazzill."

1/31/2021 9:51 pm  #6

perhaps he had a lisp?

7/03/2021 11:03 am  #7

One of the new parkrunners today (male aged 25-29)::  Kougar

Last edited by monster (7/03/2021 11:05 am)

7/29/2021 8:55 pm  #8

4 days of swim championships, some name observations:

most unusual
Sunbear
Rune
Rock
Diem

surprise popular names:
Avery
Grayson

In one of the 4 meets (9/10 age group), there were 3 of each of these -two girls and one boy.  yes, that's right, two girls called Grayson in the same swim meet

Last edited by monster (7/29/2021 8:57 pm)

7/29/2021 9:22 pm  #9

In seven weeks of summer camp, we've had sessions with two Nates, two Wills, two Ellises, two Bens, two Hunters, and two Aidens (in that case, both of their last names started with G, too.) The most unusual birth certificate names have been Ridge, Moxie, and Dune, but we also have a bunch of kids going by self-chosen names--often hand-in-hand with gender fluidity, but not always--including Knife, Nine, and Z. I've been told that Nine was going by Six last year; no one knows what prompted the change or what it's supposed to mean.

Last edited by Clodfobble (7/29/2021 9:24 pm)

7/30/2021 5:18 am  #10

Ha! Sophia was easily the most popular girl's name, and Ethan for boys I think. Wheels is my favorite (a girl) Now one of the 13ups, she's been at championships since she was an 8&under. I can't remember if it's her given or chosen name, but she's always been Wheels.

7/30/2021 11:33 pm  #11

The Toad speaks the truth with the wisdom of the ages. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/31/2021 9:14 am  #12

monster wrote:

Kaidence.

just saw it in a BBC story.  Sorry, but no.  Cadence, yes, that could be a beautiful name.  But Kaidence is the orthographical equivalent of Michael Jackson's nose surgery.

I have judged, let the poo flinging commence.

Similarly (well, almost) 'Caleb' seems to be an increasingly popular name but also spelt 'Kaleb' which I gather is an accepted alternative.
However, I have also seen it spelt 'Kay-lib'. Why? Why on Earth...

Trips to the supermarket are often rewarding for the keen social observer.
I heard one small child addressed as 'Noah' by his father whose aim in life appeared to be getting in everyone else's way.

A few days ago I heard a man summon his offspring and a little lad named 'Harrison' appeared.
I can never understand why people give their children forenames that are surnames.
Sorry Mr Ford.

7/31/2021 11:45 am  #13

Jackson/Jaxxen/.... was also popular at the meet and has been for several years.  Noah is very popular right now, Harrison too, although didn't notice ant of those.  Didn't notice any particularly interesting alternate spellings this year. -Makayla was probably the winner on that score.  Theo, Felix, Vivien and Mia were quite popular

7/31/2021 7:08 pm  #14

Urrthang and urrbody 'round here is named Josh.  Off the top of my head I come up with five (5) Joshes that are people, and one (1) that's a mule.

I shit you not.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (7/31/2021 7:08 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/31/2021 7:12 pm  #15

I don't trust ppl with a first name for a first name and first name for a last name, too.

I know a guy named John Thomas, and that's his actual name, not just for his tadger.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/31/2021 7:51 pm  #16

Just got my list of names for the coming week... Out of 14 children, we have a Caden, a Cayden, an Aidan, and a Griffin.

7/31/2021 10:49 pm  #17

I saw all of those! -at least two Caydens in fact.  and a Kayden. Only one Griffin, I think.   Several Aidens.  All were male.

8/01/2021 6:39 am  #18

We see a lot of Kaiden sound alikes right now. Griffin was popular when my girls were in school, I just told them the kids were named in honor of us, but we bear no responsibility for the quality of the child.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/27/2022 10:47 pm  #19

In case you were wondering...... Hamilton is the nom du jour for 8-and-under boys.

Most popular is Henry by a long shot..... but there were two Hamiltons, both from the swim club that is the place to network....

7/27/2022 10:51 pm  #20

(Kayden and the variants are waning fast...)  Ruby, Scarlet and Violet are on the up for the ladies.  Avery and Keegan are the most unisex names.  So many Graces.....   Not a single Mary. for the first time ever.  And only one Ann

7/28/2022 7:47 am  #21

Not surprised by the number of Aidans, and I can even shrug off the repeat Finns... but I'm always caught off guard by how many Roberts and Nates we have. They don't feel like common names anymore, but they definitely are, at least for our demographic.

This week we had a full-on Abbot and Costello routine involving counselors' confusion between an Ethan, Eason, Nathan, Nate, and Ryan.

7/28/2022 9:26 am  #22

I saw a lad being interviewed on TV the other day and, assuming the caption was correct, whose name was 'Aden'.

Quite what he might have thought about being named after a former British colony in a war torn part of the middle east is anyone's guess.

7/28/2022 5:54 pm  #23

Unfortunate.

I work with a Russian/Puerto Rican couple whose boys have Irish first names. Melting pot.

7/28/2022 7:39 pm  #24

Clodfobble wrote:

...counselors' confusion between an Ethan, Eason, Nathan, Nate, and Ryan.

God help them if they ever encounter more than one Bruce.

5/23/2023 7:21 pm  #25

Today I saw a piece of mail for Shatrine.  I googled.  It's a real name.  for more than one person.

Anything beginning "Shat" would be bad enough, but to also rhyme it with latrine????

Board footera