cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2023 4:22 am  #1

MISC For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I was unaware of a Prestone Eveready connection.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/25/2023 6:59 am  #2

Re: MISC For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Crosley built several versions of this motor for military use but the military didn't buy the idea.
They used one in the Crosley Hotshot after the war but that only weighed 1200 lbs.
They unforeseen problem that killed this motor was the cooling water jacket rusting through
from the inside because the antifreeze back in the day sucked.

4/02/2023 5:28 am  #3

Trolley tracks in the city take a lot of work and after they are all done that has to be paved, and later repaved.
Now the rails will likely last longer than the pavement but the wood ties will eventually fail and the tracks sink,which is another can of worms.
There was little protest to the busses taking over.
Some places where overhead wires powered trolley cars then switched to busses powered the same way.
But GM was is control and went with gas or diesel busses.

4/03/2023 11:40 am  #4

Los Angeles had a great streetcar system up through the fifties. 
My grandmother was a master of their use and effortlessly took me everywhere.
A consortium (read conspiracy) of auto, oil and rubber companies used a range of techniques to wipe the system out, resulting in the road zoo that took over.
Attempts to reinstate public transport has cost billions and counting. 

4/19/2023 2:39 am  #5

This looks like a handy machine for gathering bits around the planation...

4/19/2023 11:48 am  #6

Without a load, it's called a wheelie tractor.

4/19/2023 5:27 pm  #7

Somebody posted a really long one of those babies in r/tractors.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/20/2023 12:58 am  #8

I couldn't see a steering wheel so I figured they must steer like a dozer but then I saw another machine taken from the other side. There is a stering wheel on that side, it doesn't show in this picture. I've seen that super long type I forget what they were harvesting..

4/21/2023 1:20 pm  #9

I don't have a huge amount of experience reversing trailers but found that if you do your preparatory work and start off right the manoeuvre is usually completed successfully.
If you do make an error half way through because of poor preparation, it's often difficult to salvage the situation.
Throw it away and start again was as good a piece of advice as I've been given.

4/29/2023 11:29 pm  #10

Yeah, that's good advice Carruthers. If you watch tractor trailer rigs backing into some place like a loading dock, when it gets close and a little bit off they usually don't try to make a small adjustment. They'll pull out at least the length of the rig sometimes twice the length and start over.

4/30/2023 8:22 am  #11

I'm really comfortable with trailers but hay wagons have too many pivot points. I remember getting too deep into a wagon mess once and just pulling the pin... and then having it get away from us and bombing down a hill. No damage no event.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/30/2023 11:30 am  #12

I can get by backing a trailer if I can see it.  Pop has a trailer we made a hunderd yrs ago from a fold-out camper, and it's so low we have to raise the liftgate on GrandCherokeeTwo to back the thing.

By the time ya see it it the side mirrors, it's too late.  Might as well start al over.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/01/2023 6:04 am  #13

Yeah, it's a lot easier from a tractor seat.

5/01/2023 9:35 pm  #14

We're fortunate back up cameras are cheap and easy to install, some are even wireless. They even have their own screens so the vehicle doesn't have to be in reverse.  Mount it up high and watch every twitch of the trailer over the road.

5/18/2023 12:11 pm  #15

MISC:
Cool, rather large shed, corrugated iron roof. Watch the vid.
Home – The Stick Shed

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (5/18/2023 12:12 pm)

5/25/2023 6:31 pm  #16

...more poles than Poland.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/25/2023 8:52 pm  #17

truly miscellaneous..
Just got off a long support call with an overseas support tech. He was remoted into my machine, I was remoted into a doctor's machine, then the support tech remoted into that machine himself, so he was sending copy/pastes of log files in the Teams chat between the doctor's end of the chat and my end of the chat, from inside a remote session of a remote session that I was watching from three layers up.

He fixed the problem. After all this he sent a summary report that looked like a scam email. Big, blurry company logo in a weird aspect ratio followed by a wall of text with bizarre kerning between the letters in the middle of words. Are they running some weird version of Windows over in the IST? This was a legitimate email, but it looked.. weird

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

5/26/2023 7:04 am  #18

It's like Inception or something.

I don't know what the IST is, but I am so fucking over email programs fucking up my text when I write overseas.  I draft an email that looks perfect to my eye and I send it for review to the attorney because it contains legal advice that I, a non-attorney, have drafted, and he'll say, yeah this looks good, but fix the fonts.  And I see the email he's sending back to me, and it's all different fonts and sizes.  It's so infuriating.  And there is this one dude I email regularly overseas, and when he responds to my email, and I try to reply back sending him a hyperlink to a form to execute, the hyperlink doesn't show up in typical hyperlink colors and bold, so I have to navigate to the Styles submenus in Outlook and manually make the hyperlink look pretty.  It's infuriating.

5/26/2023 11:28 am  #19

I never saw the word "kerning" before.
I do have mostly bad things to say about email getting harder to use.

5/26/2023 1:01 pm  #20

glatt wrote:

It's like Inception or something.

I don't know what the IST is, but I am so fucking over email programs fucking up my text when I write overseas.  I draft an email that looks perfect to my eye and I send it for review to the attorney because it contains legal advice that I, a non-attorney, have drafted, and he'll say, yeah this looks good, but fix the fonts.  And I see the email he's sending back to me, and it's all different fonts and sizes.  It's so infuriating.  And there is this one dude I email regularly overseas, and when he responds to my email, and I try to reply back sending him a hyperlink to a form to execute, the hyperlink doesn't show up in typical hyperlink colors and bold, so I have to navigate to the Styles submenus in Outlook and manually make the hyperlink look pretty.  It's infuriating.

IST is India Standard Time, so yeah, looks like text in an email getting garbled by.. coming across the ocean?? I mean, I know that's not what causes it, but I have no idea what causes it.

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I never saw the word "kerning" before.
I do have mostly bad things to say about email getting harder to use.

kerning = spaces between the letters. fonts are not only the shape of the letters, but specific in-between spaces to make words flow in a way that looks right

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

5/26/2023 3:17 pm  #21

I see what you did there.

5/31/2023 11:11 am  #22

Flint wrote:

.. coming across the ocean??

I remember when I could do that...

6/17/2023 2:10 am  #23

Diaphone Jim wrote:

MISC:
Cool, rather large shed, corrugated iron roof. Watch the vid.
Home – The Stick Shed

That is very cool, thanks.

6/17/2023 2:13 am  #24

I think this is a scam by the "Movie Prop Company"...

6/19/2023 3:34 am  #25

Dashboards/instrument panels...

Board footera