cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2020 7:56 am  #1

A good read if Democrats don't want to be one and done

"The lesson here is that the identitarian left must not labor under the impression that all Black and brown people share their sense of racism as an ultimate deal breaker. Coalition building of the kind that will win future elections will require them to hold their noses and understand that to many perfectly sane people of color, policy matters more than rhetorical virtue on race and racism. They must also understand that few of such people will be amenable to schooling on the matter. Talk to them as prodigals who need to be taken out back and instructed in the gospel and you will only drive them to the next charismatic, incurious megalomaniac that rises from the Republican swamp."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/11/racism-isnt-everyones-priority/617108/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&fbclid=IwAR37kMfu9mqLnkSfRuLXj93H825_cBDk3T56HOcFQrfGe6f6UCXQya1un_M

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/23/2020 1:56 pm  #2

Re: A good read if Democrats don't want to be one and done

Every election cycle I become more and more convinced that the Democrats are playing to lose.

Firstly, and as is self-evident, their function is to resist progressive policies from the LEFT, not to oppose the rightward push in politics. And now, it seems that they have to lose enough elections so that any kind of left-leaning policy doesn't accidentally have enough votes to pass.

If you were trying to lose elections you would do exactly what the Democrats are doing. The Republicans have a monopoly on messaging, and the Democrats will never be able to match their appeal without reaching out to the needs of the people to feel seen and have their struggles recognized. You know how to win over the hearts of Trump's 'forgotten Americans'? Support policies that would actually help those people!

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/23/2020 2:47 pm  #3

Flint wrote:

Support policies that would actually help those people!

Damn right. Make their world better and take credit for it.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/23/2020 2:51 pm  #4

They'll never do it. They are more opposed to Progressive policy than they are to Republicans. The Democrats feel they can win on demographics, and they can-- just barely. But Biden will 100% be a one-termer and I'm already mentally preparing for an even worse next 8 years.

11/24/2020 2:05 am  #5

I doubt Biden wants a second term, he was a hail Mary to dump Trump.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/24/2020 1:13 pm  #6

Good point. So.. what's the game plan for 2024 then?

Competent centrist managers of a fundamentally not-broken system that supports their wealthy donors + demographic virtue signalling with little policy to back it up? You know, the losing ticket?

11/24/2020 1:31 pm  #7

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I doubt Biden wants a second term, he was a hail Mary to dump Trump.

He specifically said at one point that he intends to be a one-term president, though of course that could always change. Personally I'd assume that Kamala is their pick for a 2024 candidate, unless there's some insurmountable scandal in the next four years.

11/24/2020 1:37 pm  #8

Oh.. yeah. Biden for four, then Kamala through 2032..?

11/24/2020 1:54 pm  #9

This all assumes Biden lives that long.

11/24/2020 3:43 pm  #10

If he karks it and she takes over, that makes her even more likely to be the 2024 nominee--and doesn't prevent her from running for a second term, either.

11/24/2020 3:55 pm  #11

Biden for two, Harris for ten.

TIME TO CONFISCATE ALL THE GUNS AND BIBLES

11/24/2020 4:59 pm  #12

I see the next four years as the get to know Kamala time period. I know her only as part of the Bay power structure which to me says, "I don't understand America". She has an opportunity in the policing area. Being a prosecutor isn't a big plus in the Democrat Party and being a brown woman is not going to draw any Trump voters. She is going to have to be impressive in a job which traditionally offers little opportunity to impress. I'm open to being impressed, so we'll see.

11/24/2020 8:57 pm  #13

Maybe she'll coldcock Mitch on the floor of the Senate.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera