cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2023 6:17 am  #1

Quebec Wildfires 6/7/2023

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/151430/fires-burn-across-quebec

The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite captured this view of smoke billowing from the fires on June 3. Shortly after the fires started, about 5,000 residents were ordered to evacuate near the city of Sept-Îles in the province’s east. As the fires grew, evacuations were extended to an additional 9,000 people in surrounding communities and in western Quebec’s Val-d’Or and Normétal municipalities. As of June 5, more than 150 wildfires were active in Quebec.

This photo from NEPA shows the air quality the afternoon of 6/6/2023.

This screen capture shows the AQI across the region.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/07/2023 6:43 am  #2

Re: Quebec Wildfires 6/7/2023

We have haze all the way down here. It's like SoCal in the old days, a half headache, sore eyes, and it smells like smoke.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

6/07/2023 7:06 am  #3

Yeah, it's in Virginia too.  Not as bad as for my brother in Ottawa.  Not a contest I want to win.

Pennsylvania and New York state have a pretty significant rainfall deficiency right now.  Hard to talk about drought with a straight face when everything is green, but there you go.  If I knew how to post a picture I'd put a Windy "moisture anomaly" map in here.

6/07/2023 11:43 am  #4

Smoke is not a funny thing, but the second pic looks like M94 is showing through. Todays' APOD:
APOD: 2023 June 7 – M94: A Double Ring Galaxy (nasa.gov)

6/07/2023 3:08 pm  #5

Once the whole state of California begins it's catching on fire season, we'll be getting the same in Oregon.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

6/07/2023 8:01 pm  #6

Pink full moon is something rare and new.  Then we tried to take a picture of it on a phone.  Phone could not see that moon.  Stranger.

6/07/2023 8:06 pm  #7

tw wrote:

Stranger.

...with every post...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/08/2023 11:57 am  #8

Who knew there was a code maroon for air quality?  They probably never thought they would need to go above red.

6/08/2023 2:29 pm  #9

Smells a bit campfire here today

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/08/2023 3:23 pm  #10

I went out for a short walk at lunch, and it's really too bad the air is so unhealthy to breathe, because it's glorious out there.  Quiet, cool, comfortable temperature. No humidity.  Just a beautiful day, other than the burning eyes.

6/08/2023 4:45 pm  #11

I don't know what it says about humans that dangerous things are considered beautiful. Volcanic ash creates a gorgeous sunset, the places where ocean waves could wipe out your whole house are the most beautiful places to live. Everywhere we see beauty is an area of chaotic extremes. Probably the very formation of life itself happened somewhere that wild variations in conditions were throwing variables against each other, forming new combinations. If we're ever wiped out by a supernova that is close enough to destroy our atmospheric protection and bombard us with exotic particles, it will be an amazing time to be alive, in terms of extremely cool stuff to look at.

6/08/2023 5:10 pm  #12

Flint wrote:

If we're ever wiped out by a supernova that is close enough to destroy our atmospheric protection and bombard us with exotic particles, it will be an amazing time to be alive, in terms of extremely cool stuff to look at.

For what, about 30 - 60 seconds?  Free-divers might see the best stuff, cuz, y'know, breath-holdin ability?

How long will we keep breathing after catastrophic atmosphere removal?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/08/2023 5:14 pm  #13

Would our blood boil away before we suffocate?
Would we blown away with the atmosphere?
And, if so, could we survive for a little while while floating through space in our little bubble of atmosphere?

I need to know these things so I can prepare.

I mean, should I bring sammiches?  How much beer and Crown?

Last edited by TheNeverWas (6/08/2023 5:15 pm)

6/08/2023 6:09 pm  #14

Supernova within 100 light years would just strip our ozone layer and we'd all slowly die of cancer and sunburns. But Imagine the amazing views in the night sky as we see a point of light become brighter than the full moon and glow with spectral lines revealing the contents of the star systems it's obliterating, then becoming bright enough to see in the daytime sky. That's some religion-forming views.

6/08/2023 6:19 pm  #15

TheNeverWas wrote:

...How long will we keep breathing after catastrophic atmosphere removal?

You may not want to.

TheNeverWas wrote:

...I mean, should I bring sammiches?  How much beer and Crown?

In that case, bring a clothespin or some other kind of nose clip/plugs.

I've been through hypobaric training including time in a hypobaric chamber. When atmospheric pressure drops, gas inside the body expands. To normalize pressure in the gastrointestinal tract, the body expels gas. All the people and other animals on Earth will be farting at the same time.

6/09/2023 8:09 am  #16

Anon wrote:

I've been through hypobaric training including time in a hypobaric chamber. When atmospheric pressure drops, gas inside the body expands. To normalize pressure in the gastrointestinal tract, the body expels gas. All the people and other animals on Earth will be farting at the same time.

This is the material we're looking for. *cheers*

The edge is where creation / creativity happens, it should be beautiful.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/17/2023 1:32 am  #17

Yuck...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/17/2023 11:55 am  #18

When the town of Paradise burned nearly completely a few years ago. the smoke (or Paradise itself, actually) came through us 100 miles away.
The deep orange air caused a sort of solar eclipse, but with the added phenomenon of changing colors to different parts of the spectrum.
Did any of you see that or was it reported?

Board footera