cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2023 5:27 am  #1

I know something almost as current as the weather

It seems every other day I read about someone spending some ungodly amount of money to buy some tchotchke that gives them nothing but bragging rights. The major auction houses know they can make a fortune providing a stage where these buyers can perform their "win", especially on TV. 
Ancient porcelain, paintings they can't display without museum quality security, cars they can't drive, just things they can brag about  on the golf club like Trump with his top secret papers.
Here's an example $6,303,830 for a car that can't and never could be driven on the road..
Strictly for bragging rights because an increase in value is never assured.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/03/2023 6:56 am  #2

Re: I know something almost as current as the weather

Acquisition as mental illness.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/08/2023 10:25 am  #3

Re: I know something almost as current as the weather

Fortunately I've not been cursed with that sickness but one almost as bad. I have never disposed of an electrical device with it's cord intact. Forced to finally scrap a 43" TV I first remove and retained 131 screws and the glass screen. Packratitis ? Hoarding? Goes along with Whoring I guess.
However when a friend was here moaning about his driveway alarm failed because the 110 to 12 volt transformer died, I had one... more than one.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera