cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2023 6:21 am  #1

Fixing an old guideboat

I should have been smarter about collecting my before and after pictures but I finally finished repairing my deceased  FiL's busted up old guideboat over the weekend. I had to cut out the ribbing and the shattered fiberglass so I got a chance to work with epoxy and fiberglass which is new.Her shape isn't perfect but then none of us are. She has a removable carry yoke which I may have to reinforce and my FiL apparently lost the original oars so I have to figure out if the set he made are going to work. Ready to sink!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/28/2023 6:55 am  #2

Re: Fixing an old guideboat

Wow.  That's a cool shape.

8/28/2023 7:16 am  #3

I can't wait to get her back in the water. She can carry a lot of weight without losing maneuverability. My FiL always insisted on rowing so I have a lot to learn.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/28/2023 9:06 am  #4

Nice boat.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

8/28/2023 11:36 am  #5

I like the shop too.

8/28/2023 12:35 pm  #6

Seat dead center?
Is this the same?
Adirondack Guideboat - YouTube

8/28/2023 4:07 pm  #7

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Seat dead center?
Is this the same?
Adirondack Guideboat - YouTube

Yeah, center seat but a seat in each end as well. That is the super classy version whereas this boat was inexpensive when built and has had an adventurous life. I believe this boat sits lower in the water unladen, but it's been many years since I've seen her afloat. They are designed to carry a guide, a client, and all their camping gear.

Thanks for the kind words. The shop is a bit over-laden itself, hopefully I can squeeze this boat in downstairs so I have more elbow room for the wooden canoe refurbish project.

Board footera