cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2023 7:41 pm  #1

TEMU

There is a outfit called TEMU that advertises stuff online extremely cheap.
Clothes, tools, most anything and everything tailored to the site they’re on.
Their return address is New York state, home office Boston, but logic tells me they're a Chinese Amazon.
They say who made it/is selling it, and if it’s shipped from TEMU or not.
Free shipping for most orders and express shipping on orders over $130. 
I bought 10 items to check for quality and service.

Like this screw extractor set, drill on one end, extractor on the other.
6 pieces in 5 sizes for  US $2.89... yes, for the whole set with a plastic box.
OK, so I know they’re crap that won’t last long... but how long?
If you ever had a broken screw bedeviling you, you’d pay way more to have it go away.

So I ordered on the 18th, TEMU says delivery between the 25th and 27th.
Next day an Email from UPS saying they have it and delivery on the 21st.
I go to UPS site and they wrote a ticket, but don’t have any more info about it.
TEMU says if it comes after the 29th I get a $5 credit within 48 hours.
That says the 29th is the realistic time target.
Both TEMU and UPS emailed it’s been delivered on the 27th.
UPS dumped it on the USPS to deliver it "the last mile".
I don't know if UPS got it in China or port of entry..
My name is on the Homeland Security and China Spy Guys watch list ... again.

Anyway, one of the more expensive items is 100 Stainless Steel Cable Ties, for $6.98.
They are 3/16 wide and about 8.5 inches long, probably meant for up to 6 inch use.
I figured I’d keep a few and the rest would be good around salt water/salt air like my Buddy’s place at the shore.

But they blew my mind when I read the label, “do not open until ready for use”.
WTF? Why not? Ignoring the logical answer I tell my Buddy about them.
He sent me two pictures of what happens to Chinese Stainless Steel.

It not your Mothers Stainless.
I am edumacated and you are warned

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/30/2023 8:35 am  #2

Re: TEMU

Second time I've heard people talking about TEMU this week.

Sounds like another source of cheap shit from China.  I'm personally fairly familiar with Harbor Freight, AliExpress, and now I'm curious about TEMU.  Cheap shit from China has its place.

At the other end of the spectrum, I picked up a beautiful wooden (shoulder?/molding?) plane in Scotland at an antique place for 6 Pounds. Slipped nicely into my suitcase, and for 6 Pounds, I had no choice but to buy it.  I quickly sharpened the blade yesterday, and it works nicely based on a quick test I did. Looks like a molding plane, but it's got a straight blade and doesn't cut an intricate shape.  It will be perfect for cleaning up tenons.

9/30/2023 11:43 am  #3

Scotland? You dog you, sneaking over to see Limey behind our backs, eh.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/01/2023 11:32 am  #4

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

...Anyway, one of the more expensive items is 100 Stainless Steel Cable Ties, for $6.98. They are 3/16 wide and about 8.5 inches long, probably meant for up to 6 inch use. I figured I’d keep a few and the rest would be good around salt water/salt air like my Buddy’s place at the shore.... 

There are a lot of different types and grades of stainless steel. The most commonly encountered here is 304 (a.k.a. 18/8) which is what you see in kitchen/dining utensils and various kinds of indoor and outdoor fixtures. That's not suitable for saltwater/coastal environments though. A higher grade like 316 with better corrosion resistance to things other than just water (e.g., chlorides and acids) is suitable for marine applications. A lot of the Chinese stuff is 303 stainless which is only slightly corrosion resistant (less than 304) and passes just for some indoor uses. Look for Chinese stuff labeled with the stainless-steel grade and avoid the stuff that's not unless the corrosion resistance is unimportant.

There's also a language hurdle. I've seen Chinese chrome plated steel and aluminum items listed as "stainless" steel or stainless-steel finish on sites like Amazon.

304 VS 316 Stainless Steel

Stainless Steel Grades and Families: Explained

Board footera