cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2023 4:55 pm  #1

Ending Anonimity

Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley on Tuesday said she would push for social media users to identify by their legal names online, drawing pushback from her GOP rivals Ron DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswamy.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/14/politics/haley-name-verification-social-media/index.html

This could save a bot driven platform like Reddit.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/16/2023 1:06 pm  #2

Re: Ending Anonimity

This would end online discourse. One side of the political spectrum will enthusiastically threaten to come to your house and shoot you if you're one of the groups of people they don't like. Nikki Haley's proposal is stochastic terrorism.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/16/2023 3:41 pm  #3

Plus, nobody would feel comfortable talking openly about the pros and cons of peeing in the shower.

11/16/2023 9:39 pm  #4

glatt wrote:

Plus, nobody would feel comfortable talking openly about the pros and cons of peeing in the shower.

Trueth.

Last edited by fargon (11/16/2023 9:42 pm)

I Love my country, I fear the government.

11/17/2023 2:24 am  #5

glatt wrote:

I do and I would... but that's about all.
Methinks it would cut participation a lot, at least anything past quick videos of cats.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/17/2023 2:08 pm  #6

Another way to attack online information sharing, collaboration, and organization of groups of people who oppose the top-down structures of society. If you were a group of people who have lost the ability to win elections, and the projected demographics of the country see your prospects getting worse and worse, you have two options: 1) read the room and change your policies, or 2) be against voting, education, science, information, and the concept of truth in general

FOR EXAMPLE, a billionaire buys the biggest social media platform for political information, and quckily tanks it, OOPS!

Last edited by Flint (11/17/2023 2:10 pm)

11/17/2023 4:56 pm  #7

Flint wrote:

...  a billionaire buys the biggest social media platform for political information, and quckily tanks it, OOPS!

X marks the spot.

11/17/2023 5:02 pm  #8

I enjoy a nice shower pee. I knew I was wrong entertaining a Nikki Haley idea. Any way we could just prove personhood? 

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/17/2023 7:10 pm  #9

We're so behind the problem that we'll end up needing to DEFINE personhood.

11/19/2023 4:16 am  #10

Yeah, who decides if Kunta Kinte is a xmxaxnx person or not?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera