cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2023 12:12 pm  #1

Today

Veterans Day is not Memorial Day.
Stay away from cemeteries and celebrate the ones you know that are still kicking. 

11/11/2023 4:20 pm  #2

Re: Today

From one, to another... have a good one!

Other November 11th causes for celebration around the world:

https://nationaltoday.com/november-11-holidays/

11/11/2023 5:27 pm  #3

It's Remembrance Day in the UK.. 

And wreathes of poppies are placed on graves, tombs and memorials.  The nation wears poppies and the last post is played at 11am on 11/11.

JSYK

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/14/2023 12:25 am  #4

There have been several posts around the web about remembering the horses that died in WWI.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/14/2023 10:36 am  #5

Always a good place to learn about things we would, otherwise, never think about.

11/21/2023 5:25 am  #6

monster wrote:

It's Remembrance Day in the UK.. 

And wreathes of poppies are placed on graves, tombs and memorials.  The nation wears poppies and the last post is played at 11am on 11/11.

JSYK

When I was a kid there were always poppies, not real, artificial with a tag on the wire stem saying they were being sold by er,...um, the VFW accepts donations when they give you a free poppy to wear on Memorial day. The money is suppose to go the state and national veteran aid facilities. I haven't seen any for a few years but that is probably the result of hermiting, not getting near public celebrations.
From what I've seen the poppies they distributed in the UK are much nicer than ours.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/21/2023 7:41 am  #7

Pete handed out these this year. I have a history major niece who is committed to the symbolism of the poppy.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/22/2023 10:27 am  #8

I initially missed the word "history," and read that as "I have a major niece." Spent way too long thinking about what a major niece might be before I went back and read again.

But the little poppy pin is pretty!

Board footera