cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2023 5:03 pm  #1

Tesla Car

Just learned that rapper XXXTentacion was killed while being robbed in his car, which due to a safety feature was unable to accelerate away from the gunmen, because the doors were open.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. If it's a numbers game, it probably saves more lives to have the feature in place.

But it just strikes me as an "Asimov's laws of robotics" type problem. If the machines are going to take over "thinking" for us, should they be required to prove they will make ethical decisions in complex situations? This seems different than "a faulty airplane part fails and people are killed" . . .

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/20/2023 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Tesla Car

A panic button and/or voice recognition command to disable safety protocols and automatically reenable them after perhaps 20 seconds, could be made available. It works on a holodeck; so, it should work in a car. A panic button would have to be unlocked with an access code beforehand.

12/20/2023 10:57 pm  #3

. . . my intrusive thoughts are saying the correct answer for the override mechanism is "the gas pedal" . . .

..it is amusing to think our cars might have a safe word

..regarding the Holodeck, how can we avoid a "Moriarty" situation.? I don't know what that would be, but I'm suspicious in advance..

12/21/2023 5:58 pm  #4

"safeword"
"I'm afraid I can't do that Dave"

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/21/2023 6:06 pm  #5

...this type of thing has happened before, and it's always been attributed to human error...

12/22/2023 12:18 pm  #6

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

"safeword"
"I'm afraid I can't do that Dave"

That's funny.
My new piece-of-shit HP/Microsoft/Bing computer has a pushy feature called AICopilot, that likes to butt in to "help" with searches etc. when it "senses" you are having difficulty.
I have started thinking of it as Hal. 
Of course, it was HAL ((Heuristically Programmed Algorithmic Computer" in the movie. HAI (H artificial intelligence) sure looks the same.
Copilot, BTW, has actually "helped" only once so far.

12/25/2023 5:14 pm  #7

When your new car comes with a button for everything and you see one labeled REAR WIPER, do you try it?

12/26/2023 5:07 pm  #8

Heated seats with a built-in bidet, for those "movie theater nachos" moments?

1/05/2024 5:57 pm  #9

Saw my first in-person Cybertruck while wandering a mall waiting for car maintenance.

In person, it doesn't look quite as odd as it does in media, possibly since it's big enough to not really perceive the whole profile.  Oddly, the weirdest thing to me was the hubcaps, which really make it seem Lego-like.

1/06/2024 9:40 am  #10

I see this vehicle and I just think what is the purpose? Vehicles should have a use case. The old car makers do non production vehicles to test ideas but this is actually in limited production. I'm a weirdo though as I want a small electrically propelled pickup without excessive entertainment, self driving, etc... but with the actual advantage of home recharging and reduced maintenance.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/06/2024 1:30 pm  #11

Amen.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/07/2024 2:22 am  #12

What? You want a small practical truck?
How dare you, that's anti-Merican... it's downright heathen.
=13px

1/07/2024 4:39 am  #13

I think Elon's going for the same use case as the Hummer - big truck people can see you own.

1/07/2024 9:24 am  #14

Looking at the sight lines on that pickup it's no wonder pedestrian fatalities are up.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/08/2024 2:56 am  #15

I just figured out why China had welcomed Tesla with open arms despite several of there own makes, besides the investment in facilities.
Tesla's computers know where every car is, who owns it, if it's moving or parked, where it goes, where it stops, for how long, and even videos. I'll bet the party is tapped into that info with or without cooperation.

1/08/2024 7:08 am  #16

Yeah, choose your poison corporate and government monitoring in the West or government and corporate monitoring in the East.

1/08/2024 1:33 pm  #17

griff wrote:

Yeah, choose your poison corporate and government monitoring in the West or government and corporate monitoring in the East.

"You know of what I speak. A Great Eye. Lidless. Wreathed in flame..."

Board footera