cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2023 9:37 am  #51

Re: Meanwhile in......

Utah, USA

NASA has begun livestreaming touchdown coverage of the OSIRUS-REx spacecraft Sample Return Capsule (SRC) which will occur in about twenty minutes from the time of this post. The SRC contains samples of the asteroid Bennu collected in 2020 after the spacecraft launched in 2016. The return will be at a government proving grounds in the Utah desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg

9/24/2023 11:55 am  #52

In the lab, safe and sound 1000 PDT, Sunday

11/30/2023 8:57 pm  #53

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/01/2023 12:46 am  #54

Meanwhile in the UK, people are wondering why a Time Lord has to go “woke.”

Popular Television Series Faces Backlash After Going ‘Woke’

The BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who is being mocked heavily for promoting gender nonconformity, with a recent episode featuring the title character asking an alien life form to declare its pronouns and being referred to as “male-presenting.”

12/01/2023 2:49 pm  #55

Is it "being mocked heavily for promoting gender nonconformity'? The source behind that link is a "page not found" error.

Compelling stuff. Something that nobody cares about didn't even really happen.

Last edited by Flint (12/01/2023 2:51 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/01/2023 8:07 pm  #56

Flint wrote:

Is it "being mocked heavily for promoting gender nonconformity'?...

Some may; but, it's not so much what was done (incorporating a message) as the way it was done. A Time Lord should already be woke and delivering the message to others, not the other way around. The video clips in the article make it look like they dumbed down the main character as a vehicle to have the message delivered. Controversies are nothing new to the franchise...  this is just among the most recent. I didn't even try the links as they seemed superfluous to the videos in the article.

12/04/2023 12:07 am  #57

Better headline:  "People who think 'woke' is an insult mocked for just now noticing that Doctor Who is 'woke'".

Thinking that it only got preachy recently is also pretty blinkered.

12/04/2023 9:37 am  #58

You just woke me up.  I did not know that.

I don't even know which doctor is now Who.

12/04/2023 10:56 pm  #59

After watching the video clips in an article I linked to in a post above, I've decided to make my life easier and refer to all those I can't use typical binary pronouns with as "Meep."

12/24/2023 9:51 am  #60

Meanwhile in France, beginning the first of the new year, tobacco shops will be able to sell hunting ammunition under a controversial law that has pros and cons depending on which side of various fences you're on.

Tobacconists in France will be allowed to sell hunting ammunition in the new year

Maybe to make it easier to find smoking guns!

12/24/2023 12:23 pm  #61

Meanwhile in the Middle East Israel continues the worst massacre, genocide and terror attack in history.
The people of Gaza are without homes, food, water, medicine and hope.
The United States is complicit in this abomination.
Merry Christmas.

12/24/2023 12:39 pm  #62

Most in Israel and Gaza don't celebrate Christmas; still, it could be said that those here who voted Joe Biden into office have the blood of those non-Christians on their hands.

12/24/2023 8:07 pm  #63

I did and I am afraid you are right.

12/25/2023 11:48 am  #64

I will stick this link in here on Christmas morning and hope all of you stumble on it read it at least once, as painful as it is,  And maybe pass it on. "The War Prayer" by Mark Twain,

Document3 (vcu.edu)

12/25/2023 2:40 pm  #65

Meanwhile in Ukraine...

Ukraine celebrates Christmas on Dec. 25 for the first time, distancing itself from Russia

A woman dressed in national costume stands near the nativity scene to celebrate Christmas in the village of Pirogovo, outside the capital Kyiv, Ukraine, Monday, Dec. 25, 2023. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)© Provided by The Associated Press

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Christmas carried more than spiritual weight for many Ukrainians this year as the country newly observed it as a public holiday on Dec. 25 rather than the later date followed in Russia....

(Eight additional colorful pics in the article.)

12/26/2023 8:46 am  #66

...Arlington, they removed some Lost Cause propaganda from the cemetery.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/confederate-memorial-removed-from-arlington-national-cemetery/3498647/

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/27/2023 11:19 am  #67

Meanwhile in Oregon, USA...

17 y.o. high school junior, 4.0 GPA, enjoys volleyball, basketball, and bull riding... just another cowboy.

Teenager Najiah Knight wants to be the first woman at bull riding's top level. It's an uphill dream 

Smart, athletic, good looking, ain't no bull.

12/27/2023 5:39 pm  #68

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/28/2023 3:52 pm  #69

That's nuts, driving in that costume might be tricky, but the windshield suggests no seatbelt and I wonder where his phone was.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/07/2024 2:48 am  #70

Ukraine Christmas, war, Bull riding woman, Grinch crash, just amusement for the evening news.
What's really important is sales, profit, bottom line, sell, sell, sell...

=13px

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/25/2024 10:04 pm  #71

Meanwhile in Japan, breaking with tradition, the new Miss Japan is 100% Ukrainian.

1/25/2024 10:24 pm  #72

Cool.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/25/2024 10:49 pm  #73

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Ukraine Christmas, war, Bull riding woman, Grinch crash, just amusement for the evening news.
What's really important is sales, profit, bottom line, sell, sell, sell...

=13px

A Beast of Amazon packages every 3 seconds?  No wonder the place is gone to hell

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/26/2024 7:26 am  #74

Anon wrote:

Meanwhile in Japan, breaking with tradition, the new Miss Japan is 100% Ukrainian.

Remarkable.Japanese standards of beauty for Caucasians are interesting. I had a high school classmate who was an exchange student in Japan. She didn't get much attention in the States but in Japan she was relentlessly pursued.

2/07/2024 1:27 am  #75

Meanwhile in Japan, fame is fleeting…

Ukrainian-born Miss Japan relinquishes crown following alleged affair

The Ukrainian-born beauty queen who sparked a debate on cultural identity by being named Miss Japan has relinquished her title just two weeks after being crowned.Karolina Shiino, the first person of predominantly European heritage ever to win the Miss Nippon contest (which takes its title from the country’s Japanese name), announced her decision to step down on Monday following local newspaper allegations of an affair with a married man.

Board footera