cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2024 2:36 am  #1

Paint Colors in the Parking Lot.

I don't understand why people want to drive boring colored cars.
They're like lemmings following the neighbors.
Probably reinforced by dealers,order the most popular colors for stock.
Constantly people(more women than men) will stop and say "I love the color of your truck" then go get in their white/gray/silver car.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/27/2024 1:16 pm  #2

Re: Paint Colors in the Parking Lot.

I really wanted a non-gray car one time I was shopping, and they just didn't have them.  I don't care enough about color to change what type of car I wanted, so I got a gray one, though at least it was gray with a hint of blue.

1/28/2024 11:06 am  #3

I considered paying for a new paint job on my car for a while... I got it (used) on short notice after my last one was totaled (not my fault, I feel compelled to mention), so silver was my only option, and it took me months to be able to reliably find it in the grocery store parking lot.

1/28/2024 9:47 pm  #4

People who drive white gray and silver cars in areas that get a lot of snow are just plain stupid IMO, but apparently most people disagree.  Then they are surprised when they are involved in a collision in a blizzard.  But replace their totaled white/gray/silver car with......

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/28/2024 9:48 pm  #5

This is probably why insurance here is No Fault and stupidly expensive.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/29/2024 8:17 am  #6

It's like pockets in women's clothing.  Pretty much everyone complains that pockets are rare in women's clothing, and yet it's still a problem.

We drive a silver car and it's not our first.  I don't like silver cars.  The only time we had a car with a color was when we bought one new and ordered it from the factory with everything that we wanted.  Had to wait a few months to get it.

1/29/2024 9:40 am  #7

Our Buick is silver, we bought it used. Got everything we wanted except color.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/29/2024 1:22 pm  #8

White is, by far, the safest car.  Most dangerous is one painted so that it is hardest to see - red.

Safety always trumps fashion.

But a 737Max is such a pretty plane.

Last edited by tw (1/29/2024 1:27 pm)

1/29/2024 4:02 pm  #9

tw wrote:

White is, by far, the safest car.  Most dangerous is one painted so that it is hardest to see - red.

Presumably you have some stats you're basing this statement on, but are those worldwide, countrywide... What? What is the sample here?  And do they compare like groups of drivers? Age, gender and socioeconomic factors come into play with both the likelihood of being in an accident and the color of car you are likely to be driving

1/29/2024 4:11 pm  #10

1/29/2024 11:44 pm  #11

monster wrote:

Presumably you have some stats you're basing this statement on, but are those worldwide, countrywide... What?  

Stats are even from all auto rental companies.  In one airport, the entire lot of available cars were white.  Threeh lots were a sea of pure white.  At least 100 in each rental company's lot.  Except some red ones.  Those were 5.0 liter Mustangs.  Red to promote a car with a low performance V-8 engine as if somehow hot.  (Red to inspire the emotional who foolishly ignored its low performance engine.)

Or learn this from how vision works.  At dawn and dusk, everything has a red tint.  Red items become hardest to see.  Explains why red cars are more often involved in crashes at those times.  And why red cars most need headlights on over an hour after sunup and an hour before sundown.

Since everything is reddish, the brain filters out red.  Making red items hardest to see.  You don't see how red it is.  But photographers need a red filter.

Red is also why cars with red rear flashers are most dangerous.  Red being  a first light to disappear in fog, rain, blizzards and other harsh conditions.  So cars, designed by engineers, use orange emergency flashers.   Orange cuts through harsh conditions. One sees orange before hitting that car.  Red is always a first color to disappear in fog.

Also why fire departments (with people attached to science and not to tradition) no longer want red fire trucks.

Red was once thought to be the color for best atttention.  A decision based only in emotions.  Since red would mean blood.  Getting most attention from someone who makes decisions based in emotions.  It does get the attention of the emotional brain.  We have since learned, from science, it is also a hardest color to see.

Last edited by tw (1/29/2024 11:50 pm)

1/30/2024 12:17 am  #12

tw wrote:

monster wrote:

Presumably you have some stats you're basing this statement on, but are those worldwide, countrywide... What?  

Stats are even from all auto rental companies.  In one airport, the entire lot of available cars were white.  Threeh lots were a sea of pure white.  At least 100 in each rental company's lot.  Except some red ones.  Those were 5.0 liter Mustangs.  Red to promote a car with a low performance V-8 engine as if somehow hot.  (Red to inspire the emotional who foolishly ignored its low performance engine.)

Or learn this from how vision works.  At dawn and dusk, everything has a red tint.  Red items become hardest to see.  Explains why red cars are more often involved in crashes at those times.  And why red cars most need headlights on over an hour after sunup and an hour before sundown.

Since everything is reddish, the brain filters out red.  Making red items hardest to see.  You don't see how red it is.  But photographers need a red filter.

Red is also why cars with red rear flashers are most dangerous.  Red being  a first light to disappear in fog, rain, blizzards and other harsh conditions.  So cars, designed by engineers, use orange emergency flashers.   Orange cuts through harsh conditions. One sees orange before hitting that car.  Red is always a first color to disappear in fog.

Also why fire departments (with people attached to science and not to tradition) no longer want red fire trucks.

Red was once thought to be the color for best atttention.  A decision based only in emotions.  Since red would mean blood.  Getting most attention from someone who makes decisions based in emotions.  It does get the attention of the emotional brain.  We have since learned, from science, it is also a hardest color to see.

auto rental companies. (where?) 

So not really representative stats.  thanks for playing though. 

1/30/2024 12:22 am  #13

tw wrote:

... but they didn't replace them with white.  Or Silver or gray.

I get that you hate red cars -you almost seem a little emotional...

1/30/2024 5:44 pm  #14

monster wrote:

... but they didn't replace them with white.  Or Silver or gray. 

The minute you see any emotion in anything I post, then the emotion comes only from you.  I am blunt honest without any regard for any emotion.  Even the word 'respect' has no place in blunt facts.   If  I posted ten more reasons why, does that mean I am more emotional?  Did I not prove that with Saddam's WMDs? Ten reasons why WMDs were a lie only made another angry and nasty.

So I put forth more facts.  It only made him angrier. 

Green is another color easily seen.  And a color that also gets better attention since other vehicles, typically, are not that color.  Silver and gray are not unique.  And are harder to see.  But not as bad as red.

Maybe, since being so ugly, that type green gets better attention.  At any rate, they have chosen a color unique from most all other vehicles - that is also easier so see.

Everything there was posted 100% factual.  With complete disregard for any emotion.  Problems with 'red' has long been that one sided obvious and known.  And why cars designed by engineers, even more than 40 years ago, used orange emergency flashers.  That reality was that well known that long ago.

Remains almost unknown by so many even today.  Otherwise nobody needed to confirm it in a Google search.

That reality was unknown, for so long, demonstrates why some get emotional when only facts are posted.   As if something they should have known is, instead, an insult. Underlying facts is this reality.  Why did you not know all that 30 years ago?  No emotion in that question.  No emotion should be from you.  A 100% technical question that is not rhetorical.  Demands facts.

BTW, my second car was red.  Long before I learned why it is dangerous.  Everything here 100% technical.   But was disappointed, even back then, that I could not get orange turn signals.  I had, by that time, realized from experience, that red rear lights are not seen in bad weather.

Why a third brake light? Politics (lobbysts) had stepped in.  That third brake light was a compromise to avoid orange turn signals.  Bean counters in Ford, GM, and Chrysler were adament about no "two more wires" to the back.  That would only reduce profits.  But again, facts.

Last edited by tw (1/30/2024 6:04 pm)

1/31/2024 8:31 am  #15

Yeah, you don't seem emotional at all. *eyeroll*

2/02/2024 11:02 pm  #16

2/03/2024 11:08 am  #17

glatt wrote:

Yeah, you don't seem emotional at all. *eyeroll*

Blunt and factual is never an emotion.

Which emotion do you see.  Glee?  Anger? Duplicity? Humor?  Tenacity?

Last edited by tw (2/03/2024 11:09 am)

2/03/2024 11:57 am  #18

Vanity.

Excessive pride in being otherwise unemotional evidenced by the amount of discussion you devote to yourself addressing the perceptions of others instead of just shaking it off as totally unemotional people do.

Just the facts. You need to up your game. NRSVP.

2/03/2024 6:34 pm  #19

Anon wrote:

... the amount of discussion you devote to yourself addressing the perceptions of others instead of just shaking it off as totally unemotional people do. 

Clearly defined is why red is a most dangerous color for cars.  Why red is bad for fire engines.  And why red turn signals are found on crappy cars.

Emotions are created by a reader in denial.  Who wastes bandwidth discussing a person rather than the topic.  Or gets upset because it was longer than a tweet.

NRSVP is supercilious. Instead, be intelligible.  What is your point?

2/03/2024 10:32 pm  #20

You’re overreacting to people who discuss a person rather than the topic. That makes you just as great a waste of bandwidth to them as they are to you. They decide how they’re going to use the bandwidth for themselves… not you. Arguing against that is control freaky and vain. You disregarded the NRSVP and continue to protest out of vanity. Illogical, illogical, that does not compute.

2/04/2024 12:12 pm  #21

So who is being emotional?

2/04/2024 12:22 pm  #22

Who's on first. .. Concentrates on the game... Does not respond to the cheering or jeering of spectators.... Who is logical.

2/06/2024 11:45 pm  #23

Happy Monkey wrote:

Google seems to agree.

Google says white cars get less bumps than black cars because black can't be seen as well, with no other colors mentioned. Yet school busses, police cars, and firetrucks are rarely white.

By the way firetrucks should have been called water-trucks, but now they are more likely carrying foam or equipment and stuff other than water.

2/07/2024 12:14 am  #24

Police cars are often white, and if not they still usually have large white panels.

2/07/2024 4:24 am  #25

Not many black & whites around here anymore. State uses a bunch colors and Philly blue. The locals are shifting to darker sneaky cars trusting LEDs to light up their work zone. I like the black & whites easy to spot night and day.
I just thought of something, all these new Amazon trucks that a bigger that a normal van, and half pull off the road frequently. are sort of a grey/blue that is tough to see in low light. It'll be interesting to see how they fair.

Board footera