cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2024 9:15 pm  #1

Rough day at the office

Well kinda....

Not really "work" related but at work...

One of the Survey Techs from the Survey Services Lab happened to be walking right behind me as we were both headed to the lab, just a few feet from the door rounding the last corner.  We often joke together and we were doing just that as we rounded the corner when she staggered a little bit and looked like she felt a little faint.  She steadied herself against the wall and then tried again, but then staggered again.  I grabbed her and was about to try and steady her to get her to a chair in the lab or at least get someone's attention from there to bring a chair when she dropped. 

I was able to break her fall and steer it through an open maintenance closet door we had just passed and I don't believe she hit her head but she was not well. We were both on the floor and I got her onto her side and yelled for help.

Her eyes were closing and her breathing was erratic but she kept trying to talk and get up between quiet periods..  A couple of times I had to check if her breathing was still there but it was.  I thought she was going to die.  I yelled for help again and the lab manager heard and came and I had him call 911. She rallied enough to object, weakly.  I reminded her who I was and remembered that I should tell her I was trained and ask permission to help (go me) and then just kept talking to her, trying to keep her attention. She was kind of in and out. I didn't really see an awful lot I could do first-aid-wise, so we lay there and I kept talking to her and holding her. I sent someone for the AED just in case but they didn't know where it was and she seemed to be able to stay awake by then.   But then she started fitting. 

I had someone fetch some cushioning for her head.  I counted 7 fits/seizures.  I had someone time one in case it was relevant. 12 seconds. About half were that length, half a little shorter.  I tried my best to stop her hitting anything or me with her flailing arms, but mostly just waited for them to pass.  I noticed after one episode she was holding tightly onto the leg of a 12 foot metal ladder propped against the wall so I had someone move it. (They nearly dropped it onto us but that's a different kind of scary)  I thought she was going to die.  I kept talking to her, and holding her and the paramedics were actually really quick. 

One of them changed places with me, then after they did  quick assessment of vitals and I gave them a brief description of what happened, they got her up and onto the stretcher, they asked people to clear out of the way, so I did and went and got what I had been heading to the lab for.  as I walked back out of the lab, I realized I was shaking like a leaf and about to cry so I headed back to my cube and called into the office opposite my cube wherein dwells a friendly big cheese with whom I also joke a bit, and she was available to offer kleenex and sympathy while I trashed my eye makeup and got over the shock.

We all know and love this survey tech.  She's worked there forever and always tells new people (in confidence) that it's her birthday, but no-one seems to have remembered (we all get warned in advance of being introduced)

I am proud of myself and I know I did good and probably helped, but I'm writing this because apparently (unsurprisingly) I'm still struggling a bit.  I'm still worried my friend will die.  I don't know how she is.  She really wasn't looking good.  I heard afterwards that she had decided she was going to stop working soon (she's past retirement age and does have health issues, but nothing like this before as far as we know).  She said she wasn't diabetic when I asked and when the first responders asked... but maybe she just didn't know she was... I hope she's ok.  But it turns out I'm not.  yet.  Thanks for listening.

I wish I knew how she was

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/06/2024 7:05 am  #2

Re: Rough day at the office

Damn stressful.
My Dad's younger brother just went into hospice care, getting old isn't a cake walk.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/06/2024 7:21 am  #3

Oh No Monster, I hope your friend gets better.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/06/2024 11:35 am  #4

I'm so sorry. This is... upsettingly timely, for me. A similar situation happened with a close relative of mine just last Thursday, and followup tests over the weekend have revealed a pretty bleak outcome for him. I really, really hope your co-worker has a common and mild cause for her seizure that will let her come back to work and be wonderful for many years to come.

2/06/2024 1:44 pm  #5

Just heard.... She's fine, back home and plans to be back at work tomorrow!   I've been worrying all day, so relieved

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/06/2024 3:27 pm  #6

That's great news!

2/06/2024 3:32 pm  #7

Sounds fairly traumatic for you, but you did a good job being there for her and making a difference. Well done!  Imagine if she was at home alone when this happened.

Hopefully, they found something treatable so this doesn't happen again.  Glad she's feeling better.  And I imagine you are too.

2/06/2024 6:21 pm  #8

monster wrote:

Just heard.... She's fine, back home and plans to be back at work tomorrow!

Knowing what caused it would be critical information for you.  Was it a grand mal seizure?  A mini-stroke?  Transient ischemic attack?  You want to know so that you can watch out for her.  You might see something before she even notices.  Such as a facial twitch.  Or slightly slurred words.

Of course, some get upset when others are concerned.  Just learn to watch out enough.  Since this is probably not the only event.

2/06/2024 9:04 pm  #9

I've managed elderly people as they were having a CVA, TIA, acute hypoglycemic episode, or MI. The symptoms described are more akin to seizures; however, there can be atypical presentations of the others. It can also be a medication reaction, interaction, or overdose. I've even managed an older on-duty nursing supervisor who overdosed on her anti-hypertension medication by forgetting that she had already taken it and taking another one a short time later causing her blood pressure to crash. It can happen to anyone.

If it's seizures (whatever the etiology) and it's happened before, she's probably prohibited from having a driver's license. There are other conditions (e.g. acute recurrent TIAs) that can lead to loss of driving privileges as well. I hope that's not the situation and it was just an isolated incident. In any case, be thankful that some kind of alien didn't pop out of her.

2/06/2024 11:20 pm  #10

griff wrote:

Damn stressful.
My Dad's younger brother just went into hospice care, getting old isn't a cake walk.

Getting old is, just one foot in front of the other so to speak, whatever happens, just happens until it doesn't.
What is not a cake walk is watching the people you love getting old, that's stress on a platter.
Any time you're not really concentrating on something the stress creeps back in your head.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/06/2024 11:56 pm  #11

Getting old sucks, but beats the alternative.

"Adapt and Survive" -Beest

2/07/2024 12:00 am  #12

Today, many lovely people checked in on me to see how I was doing..   It was nice to have confirmation that feeling like shit wasn't weird -that people knew I would, because it seemed kind of selfish in the circs

2/07/2024 2:15 pm  #13

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

What is not a cake walk is watching the people you love getting old, that's stress on a platter.
Any time you're not really concentrating on something the stress creeps back in your head.

Unfortunately very true.

2/08/2024 7:11 am  #14

monster wrote:

Today, many lovely people checked in on me to see how I was doing.. 

Sometimes these monkeys give us hope.

Last edited by griff (2/08/2024 7:11 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/08/2024 10:12 pm  #15

monster wrote:

Just heard.... She's fine, back home and plans to be back at work tomorrow! I've been worrying all day, so relieved

I always come into these things late, but I'm glad to hear the good news.

2/09/2024 8:29 pm  #16

Haven't seen her yet, but the official announcement of her retirement party came today, in four weeks' time.  I laughed because it was announced as her Birthday [struck out]  Retirement party. and the "card" for us all to sign has the same theme  She's worked there 38 years -which is a lot for anyone, but especially a contingent part-timer

2/09/2024 8:41 pm  #17

She's done a lot more than just work there, though.  I will miss her.  This exhibit has been hosted by several University departments and local libraries and churches

2/10/2024 2:02 pm  #18

Nice

2/10/2024 3:23 pm  #19

monster wrote:

She's done a lot more than just work there, though. 

Sounds like she qualifies for the "Celebrity Staying Alive Pool 2024".

2/11/2024 12:10 am  #20

fair point, She has been written about in the local press..... but I don't actually know how old she is -if she has a birthday every day that makes her..................................???

2/11/2024 9:41 am  #21

If she keeps having birthdays every day, then she cannot die.  Cannot even have a bucket list. Cannot be in the pool.  And must be a god.  No wonder she is popular.

Does she have 12 people following her around writing down everything she says?

2/12/2024 8:35 pm  #22

She came to see me today   they're still doing tests but have cleared her to work

2/12/2024 8:38 pm  #23

She doesn't remember anything about what happened though -she came to see me because she's trying to piece it together and someone told her I would be best positioned to tell her. It's probably for the best in one way because she was mortified to hear how many people were there (and I only mentioned a few) but worrying in another.  I hope her test results can provide some answers

Last edited by monster (2/12/2024 8:39 pm)

3/28/2024 11:46 am  #24

She just popped in to the office. Since retiring she's had nothing but medical appointments and is about to start treatment for a mass they found on her brain

3/28/2024 2:18 pm  #25

I'm sorry for your friend, monster.

Board footera