cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2024 1:11 am  #1

Traction

I'm putting this here because it's technology to the max.
No electricity except the megawatts computers have gobbled up doing the chemistry, physics, math and measurements over and over.
Oh the headaches, change one little tiny parameter and it's back to square one with the computations
When the results are good, they're very very good, but when the results are bad they're expensive.

♫ Come on Baby light my tire ♪

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/13/2024 1:36 pm  #2

Re: Traction

All of a sudden, there have been a bunch of these pics on the weird places I visit online.
What I have not been able to find are pics of the tires at the traps at 300+ MPH.
I believe they have spun up to twice or more of the starting diameter, but can't prove it.

1/13/2024 4:21 pm  #3

I went back and checked the Car&Driver article and apparently I was wrong, in that the tire is 36 not 31 inches high(dia).
On the wrinkle it's effectively 24 inches and at speed 38 inches plus much narrower.
It's hard to get a finish line picture as nobody is allowed anywhere close to there.
A long lens is the usual answer but in this case the subject zips through your field of view at 330 mph.
As a consolation prize here's a couple pictures of tires in motion and a 32 second video of the heat up after the bleach box which shows the shape change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm6dpER18A4

1/14/2024 12:32 pm  #4

Haven't been to the drags in fifty plus years, so here is a makeup:
Mind Blowing Top Fuel Dragster Fastest Run ! First Experience ! Throttle Whack (youtube.com)

1/15/2024 7:22 am  #5

Bead lock rims, I wondered how they kept those tires on.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/16/2024 4:05 pm  #6

Some of the wheels of my motocross and enduro bikes had little welded tits on the beads.

1/17/2024 7:09 am  #7

I think Madonna had a set of those.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/08/2024 2:46 am  #8

Traction like an octopus, I imagine this going down the road going pop pop pop.

Seems it would get poorer mileage when the road was flat, clean and dry.

3/16/2024 8:37 pm  #9

Speaking of traction, grip, where the rubber meets the road, this picture of F-1 cars caught my eye.

I don't think they're racing but they are moving. I imagine some kind of parade lap.
But the shine of the tires is crazy, like they've been washed and waxed for show.
The shine will wear off quickly when they get into it, but a quick rain shower would ruin their day.

3/17/2024 2:38 pm  #10

The shine on F1 tyres is purely a product of the manufacturing process and the chrome-coated molds Pirelli have been using for the past four or five years. It wears off on first use before the cars reach the end of the pit lane.

Board footera