cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2024 3:35 pm  #26

Re: Rough day at the office

Me too. Thanks for listening

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/28/2024 5:58 pm  #27

Man, that's rough.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/29/2024 6:56 am  #28

When I retire, I hope that I have found a purpose by then and I don't pop into my former workplace because I'm metaphorically lost and don't know what to do with myself.

3/29/2024 5:11 pm  #29

glatt wrote:

When I retire, I hope that I have found a purpose by then and I don't pop into my former workplace because I'm metaphorically lost and don't know what to do with myself.

I don't think that's the book on you man. I've watched my Dad do almost nothing for 30 years since retirement. I'm gonna consider myself warned.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/29/2024 9:53 pm  #30

I hope to retire before I start to deteriorate so I can enjoy it. rather than spend it in medical offices.  Problem is.... my career is only 2 years old and I'm 53...... why yes, I am on it... I let them know from the get-go I don't have time to fuck about.  My boss is listening.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/30/2024 2:29 pm  #31

I'm glad you're grabbing your moment.

I had this conversation with my cycling buddy this afternoon. He retired from teaching 6 or 7 years ago. He's been kept overly busy by his handyman gig ever since. Somehow he has finally realized his mortality. He's going to start taking his SS and wind down his gig so he can do the fun stuff he meant to when he retired. He pointed to his kayak hanging on the wall, "That hasn't moved in 3 years."

3/30/2024 3:28 pm  #32

monster wrote:

...Problem is.... my career is only 2 years old and I'm 53......

For some government purposes, you only need a year and a half to count UK work credits you may have earned (your husband may have earned if filing under his entitlements) towards Social Security. Best to get that paperwork together as early as possible for use when you reach retirement age.  The US Totalization Agreement with the UK says in part:

Benefits from the United States - If you do not have enough work credits under the U.S. system to qualify for regular benefits, you may be able to qualify for a partial benefit from the United States based on both United States and United Kingdom credits. However, to be eligible to have your U.K. credits counted, you must have earned at least six credits (generally one and one-half years of work) under the U.S. system.

I expect you're hoping for more than Social Security; but, if it's applicable to you, the above is good to know and prepare for now as a fallback position.

Board footera