cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2023 6:41 am  #1

Learning new ways to use a tractor

We had a lot of winter truck traffic on our driveway as we granted a right of way for a nearby PSP tower. It was pretty wrecked so I get to learn how to use the float function on my loader. You have to be careful not to put pressure on the piston rods by extending them too much. The float function itself is pretty simple, you just push the lever all the way forward with the bucket at a low angle and back up. The loose material will come with you.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/27/2023 6:58 am  #2

Re: Learning new ways to use a tractor

Sometimes Youtubers actually show what a bad day looks like. This guy was pretty cool while the camera was on. Props to him.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/27/2023 11:27 am  #3

I'll give my 8N a little time today.  Things have come a long way.

3/28/2023 5:43 am  #4

My Uncle has Grampa's 8N. After many years they finally got the gas leak fixed one less thing to worry about.

3/28/2023 5:48 pm  #5

The engine on my first chipper came out of/off of an 8N.  It was a great little engine.  I ran that thing til the exhaust manifold glowed orange many times.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

4/08/2023 9:11 am  #6

I love how loose tolerances were on those older tractors. They just kept running. The 8N was scary light with poor brakes so naturally we'd use it to bring in hay from our hilly fields.

4/10/2023 11:41 am  #7

You can steer with the brakes and can literally stand on them if you are serious about stopping.
I recently cleaned and adjusted them.  Helped a lot.

4/12/2023 4:29 am  #8

But an 8N was 27 hp and you only need 5 on level ground. That's a huge waste of national resources.
Hey, where's the monkey to fetch pictures?

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (4/12/2023 4:29 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/12/2023 1:14 pm  #9

It's up there now.  I see it anyway.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

4/11/2024 6:49 am  #10

Next up for my Kubota is widening the wheel stance by swapping sides and flipping my rims. In its previous life the tractor sat outside so I'm going to have to hit everything with liquid wrench before we start.

4/11/2024 7:06 am  #11

Why would you ever want a narrow stance, other than fitting into a tight parking spot?  Seems like wide stance and its increased stability would always be the way to go.

4/11/2024 11:06 am  #12

They are very common in vineyard work to get between the rows.  I think they look funny.

4/11/2024 12:09 pm  #13

Anybody know what a "poppin' Johnny" is?

Last edited by Flint (4/11/2024 12:16 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/12/2024 7:32 am  #14

glatt wrote:

Why would you ever want a narrow stance, other than fitting into a tight parking spot?  Seems like wide stance and its increased stability would always be the way to go.

It may be a shipping thing?

Poppin(g) Johnnies - My Dad's uncles had John Deere tractors. They had 2(?) big cylinders and a large flywheel. Very cool sound and good solid tractors. Hit or miss is an engine speed control not on JDs.

4/18/2024 8:40 pm  #15

Around here...A 'Poppin' John is the old big single steam cylinder John Deere tractor.  The rod that does things that correspond to noises from the tractor has a seriously long stroke, resulting in a pop on a fairly long interval.

Pssh, pop, pssh, pop, etc.

4/19/2024 10:59 am  #16

Single steam? New one on me.
A JD Model B two cylinder was one of the rigs we used to cut and bale hay with. Lotta poppin'.

4/19/2024 7:42 pm  #17

A Poppin Johnny is a two  cylinder tractor. Made by John Deere from the 1920s until 1960 ish.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

4/20/2024 7:35 pm  #18

Perhaps I've spoken out of my ass.

It happens...Apologies[/hattip]

4/21/2024 12:00 pm  #19

Who knows what regionalisms we've got. The little motor on the ice cream churn is like the milk pump motor my Grampa had.

Board footera