cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2024 6:36 pm  #1

YouTube's new UI that EVERY ONE HATES

motherf@#@ckers have apparently been "test marketing" this for a few years, which I now know because there are several years of posts about it-- uniformly people HATING IT and asking "HOW DO I CHANGE IT BACK?" --so of course, they rolled it out to everyone. As of now I'm running a Firefox extension to change the UI back-- where COMMENTS --the MAIN THING-- are UNDER the video, and recommendations, the thing I DON'T F@#CKING CARE ABOUT are off to the side.

I have a really, really bad feeling about this. YouTube please for the love of God don't ruin yourself. It's always asking me "try new things?" or "improve your feed?" and.. NO!!! it WORKS the way it is now-- it learns what I want to watch by what I search and what I watch. Do NOT try to change that. IT WORKS ALREADY.

The internet is bad enough now that Reddit is the only webpage that shows up in searches. If they break that, the internet is effectively over. SEARCHING FOR STUFF IS THE ONE JOB IT HAS.

Last edited by Flint (4/11/2024 6:39 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/11/2024 6:48 pm  #2

Re: YouTube's new UI that EVERY ONE HATES

you know what they could have done? make the recommendations section on the side scroll separately from the main page. or pop up a mini viewer when you scroll away from the video. or anything else that would have been an improvement, not BREAK THE DESIGN THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN USING FOR 20 YEARS

4/11/2024 6:49 pm  #3

even with the plugin, the recommendations are now these HUGE tiles with HUGE GAPS between them

just f#$cking horrible

4/12/2024 11:12 am  #4

I have not noticed the change you are talking about.
What should I be looking for?

4/12/2024 11:44 am  #5

They've switched the positions of information about the video you're watching, and recommended videos they want you to engage with.

Right under the video used to be 1) the Channel you're watching, 2) when it was posted, number of views, 3) the buttons to LIKE and SUBSCRIBE, 4) buttons to save to a playlist, queue, or download, 5) the COMMENTS section --basically everything that drives interaction with the video that YOU chose to be watching. Everything that promotes the channel that YOU clicked on.

Off to the right side used to be a thin strip of recommended videos that you could browse, if you wanted to. Or just ignore, and focus on the video that YOU chose to be watching.

NOW: Front and center, where you are FORCED to look at them, are HUGE, UGLY tiles of recommended videos, in a massive, incomprehensible grid of sensory overload.

How do you like a video? How do you subscribe, comment, or click on the channel? That's all squashed off to the side in a frenzied word wrap. IN THE SAME PLACE THAT PLAYLISTS OR QUEUES ARE DISPLAYED. That's right-- you literally CANNOT interact with the video you are watching if it's on a playlist. Instead, LoOk aT tHiS hUgE gRiD oF viDeOs tHaT wE wAnT yOu tO wAtCh

stupid godd@mn motherf@#kers

Last edited by Flint (4/12/2024 11:46 am)

4/12/2024 11:56 am  #6

continued...
Using a plugin to switch the components back to the original place they've been in for twenty years.
The recommended videos are still HUGE, and they CUT OFF THE SIDE OF THE VIDEO.
When using the plugin to hide recommended videos, the video is still cut off, by the same width strip, now just empty.

You literally have to put videos in theater mode to SEE THE VIDEO.

This is f@#cking senseless and unnecessary. They RUINED something that wasn't broken.

Last edited by Flint (4/12/2024 11:58 am)

4/12/2024 12:44 pm  #7

continued...
On the left pane, used to be able to expand "Watch Later" to view my dozens of curated playlists.

THEY'RE F@#CKING GONE.

I can, circuitously click my way through multiple clicks and pages to eventually find my playlists, IN THAT AWFUL, HUGE, UNREADABLE GRID FORMAT.

Old: my playlists are right there on the page, I can scroll through them
New: my playlists are hidden, buried under an incomprehensible layer of obfuscation.

MOTHERF#$CKERS

4/12/2024 6:44 pm  #8

https://www.androidpolice.com/youtube-new-desktop-design-nobody-likes/

"We reached out to YouTube for comment, and were informed the new layout is a limited test to make reading comments easier while watching videos on desktop."

Except that it DOESN'T do this. Because when you scroll down in the comments, the video still scrolls away off the top of the page! If this was the "one job" they were trying to accomplish, they could have 1) made the comments scroll separately, or 2) pop up a mini-player when you scroll.

This is a bullsh!t explanation. Money-hungry c$%ksuckers wanted the rEcOmEnDeD viDeOs to DOMINATE the screen, because they thought THAT would make people click more? or something??

Last edited by Flint (4/12/2024 6:46 pm)

4/12/2024 7:10 pm  #9

If it was truly meant as a limited test, they would be doing what they did years ago which is described in this 6 y.o. video...

NOTE: This option is NOT available today. END NOTE.

Board footera