cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2024 10:43 pm  #1

Back to School

When I was going through K-12 in New England school started on Wednesday 2 days after Labor Day... always, every year.
Because of that I just thought that's what everyone did, I just accepted that assumed truism.
Since then, a back to school sale in July seemed rushing it but chalked it up to corporate greed and some people with multiple kids needed longer.
I was shocked to see some K-12 start in July and a whole lot more in August. Must have A/C.
All this information is from sampling 1500 schools by the PEW, so approximate percentages. 

And more...

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (8/24/2024 10:47 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/26/2024 7:19 am  #2

Re: Back to School

Today is first day in Virginia.  It's a recent development.  It used to be after Labor Day.

8/26/2024 10:05 am  #3

As the owner of a summer camp, I'm very aware of the start dates of all the schools around here. This year one district did something unexpected--they shifted their start date a week later than usual in order to match the local community college schedule, because they have a significant number of high schoolers who are getting a leg up on college credits while they're still juniors and seniors. Which is fine, I guess, but a wider spread in the overall start/end dates makes it harder to fill the starting and ending weeks of summer.

8/27/2024 6:42 am  #4

There's an unexpected level of difficulty.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/27/2024 12:00 pm  #5

glatt wrote:

Today is first day in Virginia.  It's a recent development.  It used to be after Labor Day.

Lazy kids were not working hard enough.  So we fixed the problem.

Board footera