cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2024 4:19 pm  #1

A New House

We are house hunting, in Winona Mn. I'm hoping to buy before Easter.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

10/11/2024 4:36 pm  #2

Re: A New House

Nice! What’s in Winona?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/11/2024 8:58 pm  #3

Two university's and all the usual suspects for a city of 25k.

10/11/2024 9:01 pm  #4

The Winona COOP had pork belly burnt ends on the hot bar. And they were good, not smoked but it's a start.

10/14/2024 1:02 pm  #5

We found a house in Spring Grove Mn, and it is perfect. We get a showing tomorrow at 10.
www.zillow.com/homedetails/428-Maple-Dr-Spring-Grove-MN-55974/106686797_zpid/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emo-SendToFriendHDP-image&zuid=ZUr4rjbaqfsvex_a6mey

10/14/2024 2:13 pm  #6

The house will not pass a VA inspection.

10/14/2024 3:04 pm  #7

Darn it

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/14/2024 3:23 pm  #8

How is a VA inspection different from a regular home inspection? Are they more stringent?

10/14/2024 6:55 pm  #9

Some say a regular home inspection is stricter while others say the VA inspection is. It seems to come down to areas of focus. A regular inspection may pay more attention to home systems (e.g. electrical, plumbing, HVAC...etc.) The VA has minimum requirements for these and looks more into safety (air/water/soil contamination, lead/asbestos. safety devices...etc.).

That's an old home (1904) which may have had a lot of DIY work done that's not entirely up to code. For instance, the pictures show handrails on the front porch steps; but, none on the steps leading off the deck. There may be other shortcomings in structural and systems modifications/upgrades/repairs. The buyer would have to pay about $500 for a VA inspector to identify all issues and then determine whether or not correcting them would be worthwhile. If the realtor pointed out, up front, that the home would not pass a VA inspection, I'd take that to mean the seller isn't interested in making corrections... it's probably cost prohibitive.

10/14/2024 7:38 pm  #10

Too true.

Board footera