cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2023 8:32 am  #1

Words that need to be taken behind the woodshed and shot

Not so much a word, but a phrase:

"Lean in" to something meaning to embrace or accept a challenge. To persevere in spite of a difficulty.  I don't know why, but this phrase irritates me. I have a feeling that Brene Brown popularized it fairly recently, because I think I've heard her say it and I've been noticing it a lot lately.  It's a little vague, and gives an impression of something without actually saying anything.  I get this mental image of a person actually leaning in to a conversation people are having in order to eavesdrop on it. The term distracts me.  There are so many different words you can use.  I wouldn't mind never hearing it again.

11/22/2023 8:41 am  #2

Re: Words that need to be taken behind the woodshed and shot

OK I answered my own question.  The term took off in 2013 when Sheryl Sandberg, a CEO, wrote a book about women being assertive in the workplace called Lean In.

11/22/2023 12:34 pm  #3

I have a phrase, too, but first: What happened to the rest of this subject? With all the previous words?
It has been around for a long time I thought, but this is "new".
A search for "words that need" comes up empty.

11/22/2023 12:38 pm  #4

Now I found monster's similar question down in Meta.
Weird.

11/22/2023 2:10 pm  #5

I have a new one, not a word but a phrase.

"Let's goooooo!" ... (when a good thing happens in youtube about a video game)

eta: and yes, the original thread, started by me, has been disappeared. I can't find it anywhere, it's gone

Last edited by Flint (11/22/2023 3:42 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/22/2023 4:48 pm  #6

yeah mine's not a word either but I am so over IYKYK already.  bang bang.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/23/2023 11:55 am  #7

So it looks like undertoad strikes from the grave.

Phrase to be shot:
"And make sure it never happens again."
Used mainly by politicians and news folk. Has it ever worked?

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (11/23/2023 11:56 am)

8/31/2024 4:41 pm  #8

trope

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/31/2024 4:44 pm  #9

Flint wrote:

I have a new one, not a word but a phrase.

"Let's goooooo!" ... (when a good thing happens in youtube about a video game)

eta: and yes, the original thread, started by me, has been disappeared. I can't find it anywhere, it's gone

I think you started the original thread in the original cellar, but UTI started the continuation here and so it disappeared with him

8/31/2024 9:08 pm  #10

UTI...
snicker

Last edited by TheNeverWas (8/31/2024 9:10 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/31/2024 9:11 pm  #11

Impact, as a verb...

Last edited by TheNeverWas (8/31/2024 9:11 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/03/2024 8:31 pm  #12

I see you were impacted by that

10/16/2024 7:35 pm  #13

Battleground state.

Yesterday 5:52 am  #14

I've had enough.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

Yesterday 10:45 am  #15

"addicting" instead of addictive

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

Yesterday 8:26 pm  #16

But that's such and impactive and utilizable word

Yesterday 8:27 pm  #17

Can we unpack it a bit?

Yesterday 8:31 pm  #18

"Being Mindful of" is a phrase that needs attention in the woodshed area.  I refuse to be mindful of repetition if I have mentioned it before.  ....but I used it (to amuse myself) in an email to and interviewer who was being a twat and I suspect from their reply it even pissed them off which means it's definitely too powerfully irritating to be allowed to live

Board footera