cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2020 1:20 am  #1

December 10th, 2020: Statue of Liberty gets the hump

New York is on a migration route for humpbacked whales, but they don't always stop for a photo op.  Reuters pic via BBC, photographer Bjoern Kils

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/10/2020 7:07 am  #2

Re: December 10th, 2020: Statue of Liberty gets the hump

https://nypost.com/2019/08/10/why-new-york-harbor-is-the-cleanest-its-been-in-110-years/

"According to a new report by the city’s Department of Environmental Protection, the harbor is cleaner today than it’s been in nearly 110 years. The last time the waters have been this pure, the Model T had just been introduced to the public and Albert Einstein had just published his theory of relativity."

They're working on the oyster reefs, it's an amazing comeback considering what had been done to it.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/10/2020 10:39 am  #3

Kids today have no idea how bad it was.

12/10/2020 12:51 pm  #4

That is good news, but a little disturbing that it is a surprise instead of being well known.

12/10/2020 2:33 pm  #5

There's no real need to tell us how clean it is because no immediate action is required.  Which is nice.  Or perhaps we have been told, but we just didn't pay long-term attention because no real action was required.  No news is good news.

Either way, I wonder if it's coincidence it was hump day when the story broke? ;)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/10/2020 2:46 pm  #6

I looked for pictures online of what I remember the Androscoggin River passing through Lewiston Maine looked like in roughly 1975, and nothing approaches what I remember seeing.  There are a handful of images showing pretty disgusting water, but not the chunks of washing machine sized foam floating on the surface of the river just under the water fall.  Film cost money back then, and who is going to take a picture of something so gross?  You would just hold your nose and hope traffic wasn't backed up at the light on the other side of the river forcing you to wait on the bridge for the light to change.

Last edited by glatt (12/10/2020 2:46 pm)

Board footera