cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2020 1:16 pm  #1

Havana Headache

The US government has released its conclusions in the matter of the mysterious ailments reported by the staff at the US embassy Havana, Cuba.
Since inserting a link throws off the rest of the post, I'll put two at the bottom instead of here.

Since the beginning of reports about this, I have thought that the likely cause was some new surveillance or disruption device used by the CIA or other secret US organization in the new Cuban embassy. 
Like Agent Orange and many other great ideas, it backfired and there was not chance the real culprit would own up and some other party would be blamed.  That is what happened this week.
So there are two theories.  I'm not completely letting go of mine, but a third one may be the correct one..
The recent finding is in the first link.
The second link makes more sense.  A quote in the penultimate paragraph of that one draws the two together.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/06/havana-syndrome-directed-radio-frequency-likely-cause-of-illness-report

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01/the-real-story-behind-the-havana-embassy-mystery

12/10/2020 1:34 pm  #2

Re: Havana Headache

the most compelling explanation i've seen was that a specific pesticide that the US frequently uses at diplomatic locations just happens to have side effects that... perfectly match up with symptoms reported. it was over a year ago that i read the article so i've unfortunately forgotten the name of the chemical.. wish i could remember. i still think that sounds the most likely to me, having, well, grown up in embassies... the state dept accidentally poisoning our own people then ranting about sonic weapons or microwaves or whatever rings pretty true to me

12/11/2020 2:21 am  #3

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/11/2020 9:24 am  #4

The whole thing reads like a microcosm of the Trump administration lie to muddy the waters then do what you wanted to do going in.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

Board footera