Offline
My daughter Hebe (pronounced Hee-bee- ((from Greek mythology, daughter of Zeus and Hera, Goddess of youth, cup-bearer to the Gods, equivalent of the Roman Juventas ....and also a very pretty shrub...))) got married earlier this year and the couple hyphenated their last names.
She is currently going through the process of (trying to) update her name in all the places. Anything online will not accept it. Even though she is already there as Hebe Beestmonster, Hebe Beestmonster-Spousename is rejected on the grounds of her unchanged first name being a racial slur.
So..... if you have a good security system... you know like banks and shit.... so you know the person trying to make the change is actually that person..... who would change their name to something like that, especially when they have legal documentation proving that is their name? It's not social media where you might just be fishing for likes ....it's your bloody credit card and... yeah ... :/
Offline
Ugh, name changing in general is such a pain, having this added layer of automated rejection on top of it sounds incredibly frustrating.
Offline
Being over 70, I am legally required to renew my driving licence every 3 years. My last, renewed at age 76, expired on my birhday this year in the month of June (same day as Paul McCartney, for those who like digging into the facts). Knowing these things can take longer than the two weeks proclaimed on the official website, I submitted my application in early May.
The online form included a list of medical conditions wih a tick box alongside each, to be used on any that applied. There were two that did, an operation following a skull fracture when I was 8, and the cataracts that had been removed and my eyes treated to new lenses completed over two years and achieving medical sign off just before the date of my application.
Unfortunately, the form didn't allow or require anything more than the ticking of the box. No request for further information about the medical conditions confirmed. June came and passed - no new licence. Then July. Then in August I received two large forms to fill in with obligatory black ink that allowed me to give more information about my ticked conditions. Quite detailed, and, in the case of the skull fracture quite difficult to advise the name of the surgeon who operated on me (he would be dead by now, or else the oldest UK living inhabitant), and the exact date I was eventually signed off. A phone call resulted in me being advised that I should just complete these forms as well as I could.
As of today, I still don't have my new licence. I have been told that it's OK for me to drive provided I don't break any of the rules and laws applying. However, if my application fails then I will have been driving illegally. I can see my explanation to a police officer as to why I am driving on what is visibly an expired licence eliciting a 'just come quietly, please, sir' as its response. God knows what would ensue if I attempted to drive abroad!
Almost 5 months now FFS and still no sign of my new licence, nor any idea what is holding it up, nor when it is likely to be issued.
Offline
If you "will have been" driving illegally, can they charge you with anything retroactively? Or is it just a matter of finger wagging? Because I'd definitely keep driving if it were me--they told you that you could!
Offline
If they do not catch you, then it is always legal.
Offline
Clodfobble wrote:
If you "will have been" driving illegally, can they charge you with anything retroactively? Or is it just a matter of finger wagging? Because I'd definitely keep driving if it were me--they told you that you could!
The British DVLA places the onus on the individual to prove they meet the all the criteria of Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 to drive on a expired license while a request for renewal is pending. The individual is held harmless if they do. If they don’t, all the penalties associated with driving without a license attach. This may include a 1000 GBP fine, 3-6 penalty points against any future license, insurance is void during that period making the individual personally liable for accident injuries & damages, and criminal charges can be elevated to Dangerous Driving or Careless Driving if medical standards weren’t met.
The DVLA expressly states that IT cannot tell an applicant that it’s OK to drive during that period. The penalties come from criminal code sources. The DVLA just specifies the criteria that must be met: