cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2020 12:16 pm  #1

Once upon a time there was this thread:

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32190

In which I catalogued the woes of my wood lathe. In the past 4 years I did a lot of research, sort of learned Solidworks - enough to design a lathe spindle to replace the boogered one that was the subject of my thread back then.

I finally found a good local machine shop to bang out a new one for me but before I sent them the solidworks file I figured I'd better dot my 'i's and cross my 't's - make sure the numbers are correct and make sense for the new bearings, etc. Being the poster child for ADHD my mind turned to the other short comings of my lathe, namely the ding'd up pulley (1" bore and index holes nothing made like that anymore) and the super kludgey banjo aka tool rest holder. After searching for the pulley again I figured I'd try ebay and see if anyone was selling one. Turns out there is a guy selling an entire headstock: spindle, bearings, pulley, all the nuts and bolts. So, three problems solved in one shot. I hope. And I found someone selling a banjo with two tool rests for $75. The cheapest new banjo goes for three times that.
I'm betting that four years after they arrive I'll have them installed.

Last edited by footfootfoot (12/09/2020 12:18 pm)

Hey! That's me up there!

12/09/2020 2:08 pm  #2

Re: Once upon a time there was this thread:

As long as your neighbors don't find them interesting when they "accidentally" open them

12/09/2020 6:04 pm  #3

This guy gets it.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/09/2020 10:37 pm  #4

glatt wrote:

As long as your neighbors don't find them interesting when they "accidentally" open them

Right?

Hey! That's me up there!

12/09/2020 10:38 pm  #5

griff wrote:

This guy gets it.

Yes. Tracking shows he got it at 2:08pm

Hey! That's me up there!

12/14/2020 8:28 pm  #6

It's never easy, is it?
The packages arrived and it turns out that my lathe also came in a baby sized version which all these parts are for. returning and back to the drawing board.

Hey! That's me up there!

12/14/2020 8:50 pm  #7

footfootfoot wrote:

It's never easy, is it?
The packages arrived and it turns out that my lathe also came in a baby sized version which all these parts are for. returning and back to the drawing board.

Oh, that's horrible.  I'm sorry.  What a pain in the ass on top of a disappointment.

12/15/2020 7:26 am  #8

I half expect Viking marauders in the next chapter of this epic.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/15/2020 7:40 pm  #9

But, not the Spanish Inquisition, obs...

12/15/2020 8:06 pm  #10

footfootfoot, how about some more details about this grown-up version of your lathe?  I walked past two in the store today, (baby sized), but I could be on the lookout if I knew what I was on the lookout for.

Plus, tool talk--bonus.

Be Just And Fear Not

12/16/2020 9:05 pm  #11

BigV wrote:

footfootfoot, how about some more details about this grown-up version of your lathe?  I walked past two in the store today, (baby sized), but I could be on the lookout if I knew what I was on the lookout for.

Plus, tool talk--bonus.

RTFM V, RTFM.

I read about your lathe at the link you posted in the opening post (now).

Neither of the lathes I walked past today were a match for yours, though they're likely not much younger.  I have two in the machine storage area, one of that vintage and another ... project lathe much newer, just as busted, but more complete-ish.  I'll be on the lookout, but I really, really like xoB's suggestion about spray-welding the shaft you have to graft on enough heft to machine down to a suitable size for a modern bearing.

This is 98% of what I know about spray welding.

side note, this guy, Abom79, I'd recommend his channel too.  Hypnotic, the metalworking.

your soda can bearing sleeve came to mind as Abom79 talked about the Speedy-Sleeve.  

Last edited by BigV (12/16/2020 9:07 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera