cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2020 11:43 am  #1

2020 ..not so bad

I keep hearing people say that they can't wait until 2020 is over and done.  I don't really get it.  What's going to happen in 2021 that will be so much better?  We don't fucking know. We just hope it will be 'better'.  I personally enjoyed 2020.  My parents are still alive.  I'm working.  I lost some weight.... lots of good shit.  I talk to my family more on zoom calls than we ever did.  I got much better at playing guitar and singing, with that time off we had. 

It was certainly a better year than 2019 for me.  I just want to remind you to take a good hard look at your 2020 and appreciate the good things that happened.  2021 has a 50/50 chance of being better or worse from your particular perspective.  Maybe just enjoy your day today and don't be mad at time.  the future won't save you and the past can no longer touch you.

be happy on purpose.

12/29/2020 12:58 pm  #2

Re: 2020 ..not so bad

2020 sucked.

Politically, especially on a federal level, it was a shit show.  And in 2021, the chief source of that shit will no longer be in a position of power to effect the kinds of damage he wrought in 2020--a galactic improvement.

I'm glad you made some tasty lemonade from your 2020 crop of lemons, good for you and yours.

2021 has a much, much more likely chance than 50-50 to be better than 2020, way more.  One more comment on your thoughts about the future and the past.  The past touches us every day.  You relied on it just a moment before you wrote that sentence when you relived the pleasant memories of 2020, the singing, the family connections, etc.  The past absolutely touches us.  Look at the tragedy of dementia when people become unmoored from their memories, their families, their life experiences.  Not all memories are good ones, some of them are better left in the past, fading away.  And 2020 had a fuckton of them.

Be Just And Fear Not

12/29/2020 1:54 pm  #3

3 more days until part 2.

Weaponized Funk

12/29/2020 4:26 pm  #4

I'm glad it isn't 1918. We had a nice Christmas zoom which is saying something because zoom like the telephone and telegraph before it fucking sucks. Maybe I should write letters. It was okay because we set it up  to show us on the floor in front of the Christmas tree, so we didn't have to sit still in front of it all day like for work.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/29/2020 7:51 pm  #5

I like 2020.  Lots about it sucked, but overall, it's been good.  My commute is like 8 feet.

12/30/2020 12:11 am  #6

Everybody has to evaluate how the year was for them personally rather than what it was for others.

2020? Nothing good, nothing at all.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/30/2020 12:47 am  #7

Pre-Covid........in 2020.....  My employer filed for bankruptcy so I lost my job. 

They paid out the vacation I had been saving up so I could take a fucking paid vacation...... so I went to Florida last minute.  First ever vacation by myself.... just starting to feel it.... driven south from Orlando where I landed, through the orange groves..... minor hiccups trying to find hotel vacancies but dealt with.... 2 miles from the bridge to Sanibel Island when...... son back here crashed and totaled the car he needed to drive to college -the car still upfucked from his previous crash and booked in for repair during his spring break.... had to spend most of the day on Sanibel finding a bank to print and then notarize the document I needed to email back here to get the car released from the pound to avoid accruing storage fees.... yada yada yada

so, back from vacay.  3 days.  dealt with son's various tickets and court appearances etc...... (still February here....)  driving him to him to college 45 mins away and back........  going home to start the job hunt.... job with health ins because 3 dependent students.......

and then covid.  And hiring freezes.  And student children who needed not to be in the house in the house and student children who don't student well online studenting online.....

Not the worst year I've ever had, but certainly not up there with the best ...and possibly the one where the most jokers were played

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/30/2020 1:09 am  #8

....all that whinged about...... I am in no hurry to "be done with the year".  Stop wishing your life away, people!  Sure, sometimes it sucks, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/30/2020 8:02 am  #9

Life does offer a reasonable alternative to non-existence. I think my disappointment with 2020 is in my expectations for others. I need to work on that. We are just monkeys trying to get on with it.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/30/2020 12:45 pm  #10

monster's second post is kind of what I mean.  don't forsake your present in favor of tomorrow.... because you have no guarantee of waking up tomorrow.

12/30/2020 3:49 pm  #11

If there were not bad times, then there would be no good times.

Everythnig in the world is always about perspective.

Last edited by tw (12/30/2020 3:50 pm)

12/31/2020 2:01 am  #12

I don't see 2021 as being any different for at least 7 or 8 months so I have to just get used to it.

12/31/2020 6:52 pm  #13

Rub some dirt on it. You'll be fine.

1/01/2021 10:11 pm  #14

https://youtu.be/9DngcnVDH6Q

2020, boyfriend edition

Be Just And Fear Not

1/02/2021 10:28 pm  #15

lumberjim wrote:

Rub some dirt on it. You'll be fine.

That's what dad says but mom would freak in she saw that because she's a nurse and that's not sound medical advice for wounds. As a matter of fact rubbing dirt in it and ignoring it would equate to procrastination hoping the problem will solve itself.  Granted sometimes it seems to, but sometimes the problem grows by orders of magnitude virtually overnight which becomes an oh shit moment.
However you newlyweds are so busy making googoo eyes at each other and snuggling against the chill, you wouldn't notice an A-bomb going off down the street...

lucky bastards.  

1/21/2021 2:25 pm  #16

We couldn't get a week into 2021 without an insurrection.

2021 will make us forget all about 2020.

Weaponized Funk

Board footera