cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2020 1:52 pm  #1

Kitchen cabinet project

I've been remodeling the kitchen for a few years. Yes, years.  Life sometimes gets complicated.

Anyway I am back at it and built 2 new cabinets which means I will only have the one where the stove is and then the island area. I am using birch, we like the grain patterns so birch ply for the boxes and solid birch for the face frames. The doors are a shaker style and solid for the frame of the door panel with ply in the center area. I built a pretty good router table a few years ago and use a fancy Freud router bit set to cut the shaker profile. 

These cabinets go on either side of the cabinet with the kitchen sink, on the right between the sink and the oven is a cabinet with a pull out trash and recycle bin. There was enough space that I built an enclosure to stand up cutting boards. To the left of the sink is a cabinet with 3 drawers since drawers are handy. 

12/30/2020 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Kitchen cabinet project

I'm a sucker for the Shaker style.  Nice simple and clean lines.

12/30/2020 2:58 pm  #3

Yes and with the Shaker I didn't need to use solid wood for the raised panel sections. The cell phone images are kind of orange, the wood is more of a blond color with darker sections in places. I was surprised at how good the solid birch is to work with,  it's hard but not like oak and only needed minimal sanding. I still have to measure and cut the birch for the door fronts. 

12/30/2020 5:24 pm  #4

Very nice look Chris.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/31/2020 1:56 am  #5

Don't forget one of those drawers must be a dedicated junk drawer, it's the law, or one of the 10 commandments, I forget which.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera