cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2020 1:26 pm  #1

Survival

When did survival become  an option rather than #1 priority?
58 year old Kevin Kressen of  Candor, NY, was driving a Ford Fusion along rte 17C in Oswego about midnight during that 40+ inch snowstorm. He ran into a ditch, disabled the car then got buried by a snowplow. Called 911 several times but with a bad connection they could only geolocate him within a three mile section. State cop couldn’t find him so started digging out mailboxes to get house numbers and accidentally dug into him.

When they found him he had been buried for 10 hours, couldn’t feel his feet, his body had stopped shivering so the hospital was treating him for frostbite and hypothermia.

I want to know why he didn’t even attempt to dig himself out? Roll down the back window and start digging rather than sit there and freeze to death. They said another hour and he probably wouldn’t have made it. I mean 58 ain’t that old and no mention of being disabled. I can’t comprehend going gently into the good night.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/26/2020 1:54 pm  #2

Re: Survival

Maybe he was injured in the initial wreck? Or if the storm was still actively going on when he crashed, maybe he figured he'd just wait until it passed, but fell asleep and then the snowplow trapped him. Either way, though, you'd think the snowplow driver would at least call in the presence of a wrecked car on the side of his route.

12/26/2020 4:18 pm  #3

This happened just across the Susquehanna in Campville. Owego is on 17C, Oswego  is far far away. He doesn't look like a healthy 58... people get old fast in Trumpistan.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/26/2020 4:30 pm  #4

At one point during the storm it was snowing 5" an hour, snow in the 3' to 4' range is really tough going. What he was doing out there during that is a question.

Last edited by griff (12/26/2020 4:31 pm)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/26/2020 8:47 pm  #5

Clodfobble wrote:

Maybe he was injured in the initial wreck? Or if the storm was still actively going on when he crashed, maybe he figured he'd just wait until it passed, but fell asleep and then the snowplow trapped him. Either way, though, you'd think the snowplow driver would at least call in the presence of a wrecked car on the side of his route.

He didn't like wreck wreck, he drove into a ditch and was stuck. A comment on one of the car blogs said he knocked the serpentine belt off. He was calling  regularly so not asleep, I think he just didn't know what to do.

12/26/2020 8:49 pm  #6

griff wrote:

This happened just across the Susquehanna in Campville. Owego is on 17C, Oswego  is far far away. He doesn't look like a healthy 58... people get old fast in Trumpistan.

Startribune says...
Kresen drove into a ditch around midnight and called 911 through the wee hours of Thursday but had trouble connecting. The vehicle became completely disabled, authorities said, leaving Kresen without heat.
"He finally got through a few times and was geolocated, but not very well because of the spottiness of the reception," Cawley said.
First responders narrowed the call to a 3-mile (5-kilometer) stretch along the Susquehanna River in Owego, outside Binghamton, which got over 40 inches (101 centimeters) of snow in the storm.

Daily News says...
Police received several 911 calls on Thursday about a driver who went off the road along State Route 17C and needed help in Owego, a town in western New York just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border, authorities said.

Chronicle online says...
First responders narrowed the call to a 3-mile (5-kilometer) stretch along the Susquehanna River in Owego, outside Binghamton, which got over 40 inches (101 centimeters) of snow in the storm. 

Sounds like they are all sharing sources.

12/26/2020 10:05 pm  #7

You know someone in his life is going to be saying "I told you so" for the rest of it.

12/27/2020 10:07 am  #8

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Daily News says...
Police received several 911 calls on Thursday about a driver who went off the road along State Route 17C and needed help in Owego, a town in western New York just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border, authorities said.

These assholes should buy a map.

12/27/2020 2:14 pm  #9

well, when you are based in NYC....

12/28/2020 3:00 am  #10

Anything past I-87 is western...

12/28/2020 11:00 am  #11

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Clodfobble wrote:

He didn't like wreck wreck, he drove into a ditch and was stuck. A comment on one of the car blogs said he knocked the serpentine belt off. He was calling regularly so not asleep, I think he just didn't know what to do.

doesn't seem to me to be rocket science: oh my, what should I do?

get out of your makeshift coffin, that's what

12/28/2020 11:22 am  #12

Yeah, I agree, but he probably didn't see the house, and read too many stories of people who would have survived if they stayed put.

12/31/2020 7:44 am  #13

On the other end of the resiliency spectrum stands Brook MacDonald. There is likely a shorter video out there about him but his words hold some insight.

12/31/2020 12:47 pm  #14

Lessons learned:

1 -- start of fit as hell "elite athlete"

2 -- have great insurance and team organization

3 -- work like a dog through rehab

bonus

4 -- don't fall off a rocky cliff

Very resilient, semi-crazy (the hat was a clue).  Congratulations to him.

Be Just And Fear Not

12/31/2020 2:50 pm  #15

I think it also shows that a lot of being an elite athlete is happening between the ears. There is a mental toughness and desire there that few possess. The night of pain waiting for surgery and the recovery work didn't put him off competing, he's top 25 in the world again. I've known gifted athletes who have none of the  drive. When I was wrestling we had guys go to Div 1 schools and be successful. Our heavy weight was actually recruited by Joe Paterno to play offensive line but he had no interest. He stayed on the farm.

1/02/2021 11:06 pm  #16

Taking a Red Bull warrior's ability to compete away is taking a cub from mama lion, they'l do whatever is necessary to come back. It's their chosen path and the thought of becoming a sous chef or insurance salesman is repulsive. Winning is not the champagne for nothing and chicks for free world little kids imagine. The real winning is the the mind, the satisfaction of being the best in the race... that day. But you always have that nagging thought you can do better and you must to stay on top. The real victories are over your doubts, whether your fears hobble or fuel you.

Board footera